Great What/What Not to Buy at Lidl, Aldi and Netto Hunt

Comments

• oh and the Aldi supersix is usually not worth it. the apples they had last time were tastelsss, the oranges and grapes bitter.
  • Stompa
    Stompa Posts: 8,348
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    oh and the Aldi supersix is usually not worth it. the apples they had last time were tastelsss, the oranges and grapes bitter.

The grapes have been fine - I've been getting through half a punnet a day whilst the offer has been on! Sadly I believe the offer no longer includes grapes.
    Stompa
  • madmoys
    madmoys Posts: 445
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Stompa wrote: »
    The grapes have been fine - I've been getting through half a punnet a day whilst the offer has been on! Sadly I believe the offer no longer includes grapes.

I'll second that, the grapes I've had have been lovely
  • adouglasmhor
    adouglasmhor Posts: 15,554
    Photogenic
    Forumite
    Schamansky wrote: »
    Yes, what Bex said.

Minimised overhead through minimised customer service, minimal staff, minimum advertising, zero fringes, simplistic store outfits, etc.

Also a radical buying strategy, mostly own brands with long-term fixed contracts. Lidl's buyers are rumoured to strike fear in the heart of manufacturers' selling teams.

Staff policy is a key element. Lidl pay a better hourly rate than Tesco or Asda, but a Lidl employee does the work of three Tesco employees. I'm not exaggerating, no offence to Tesco employees. The pressure is quite extreme. Aldi pay even more, but their staff policy is the same. They demand 400% and get 350%. Ask anybody who works there.

Lidl buy on a 90 day repayment strategy then sell in 30 or less. 60 days interest on the return. as well as the things mentioned earlier.
    The truth may be out there, but the lies are inside your head. Terry Pratchett

http.thisisnotalink.cöm
  • C_Ronaldo
    C_Ronaldo Posts: 4,732
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Schamansky wrote: »
    Yes, what Bex said.

Minimised overhead through minimised customer service, minimal staff, minimum advertising, zero fringes, simplistic store outfits, etc.

Also a radical buying strategy, mostly own brands with long-term fixed contracts. Lidl's buyers are rumoured to strike fear in the heart of manufacturers' selling teams.

Staff policy is a key element. Lidl pay a better hourly rate than Tesco or Asda, but a Lidl employee does the work of three Tesco employees. I'm not exaggerating, no offence to Tesco employees. The pressure is quite extreme. Aldi pay even more, but their staff policy is the same. They demand 400% and get 350%. Ask anybody who works there.

I can confirm what Schamansky says, they do expect you to do the work of 3 people, the kitchen if you can call it that is very basic but theres a fridge and a microwave, they have no tv(so no tv license to pay) unlike other supermarkets, the tills aren't very advanced but they do the job
    No Links in Signature by site rules - MSE Forum Team 2
  • josey1964
    josey1964 Posts: 736 Forumite
    Dont know if this has been mentioned, but in Aprils Good Housekeeping magazine they tested Strawberry jam.
    5 stars Aldi grandessa 65p for 454g
    4 stars Bonne Maman £2.29 for 370g
    4 stars Tesco finest £1.49 for 340g
    Josey
  • C_Ronaldo
    C_Ronaldo Posts: 4,732
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    josey1964 wrote: »
    Dont know if this has been mentioned, but in Aprils Good Housekeeping magazine they tested Strawberry jam.
    5 stars Aldi grandessa 65p for 454g
    4 stars Bonne Maman £2.29 for 370g
    4 stars Tesco finest £1.49 for 340g

ive never tried the jam but i was always scanning alot of it when i worked at aldi
    No Links in Signature by site rules - MSE Forum Team 2
  • BexTech
    BexTech Posts: 4,772 Forumite
    C_Ronaldo wrote: »
    I've never tried the jam but I was always scanning a lot of it when I worked at Aldi

I quite like both Aldi and Lidl jam, though don't buy the really cheap stuff.
    It's PAC not PAC Code, it's MAC not MAC Code, it's PIN not PIN Number, it's ATM not ATM Machine, it's LCD not LCD Display, it's DVD not DVD disc... It's no one not noone, It's a lot not alot, It's got not gotten... Panini is the plural of panino - there is no S!!
    (OK my English isn't great, the sciences, maths & IT are my strong points!)
  • stamford
    stamford Posts: 5,175 Forumite
    Small thumbs up to Aldi for - Klassiek Dutch Lager £2.49 for 6 x 330ml bottles. Not a patch on their German brews but a cheap thirst quenching 5% neck juice
  • Stompa
    Stompa Posts: 8,348
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Don't buy 'Aldi Summerlite, Low Fat Sunflower Spread'. It has a major design fault - it doesn't melt when you spread it on hot toast.
    Stompa
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport