Cheap theatre ticket discussion

What’s this about?

The first point of call is read the full Cheap Tickets guide. Then, this discussion is specifically to talk about tips for
Theatre tickets

If you want to discuss ticket booking in general, please go to the Cheap Tickets guide discussion. For concerts, go to the Gig tickets discussion.

If you’ve got a suggestion/tip

Simply click reply and add your suggestion, though its worth scanning down first to check it's not been duplicated.

Comments

• davidgh
    davidgh Posts: 24
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 24 September 2009 at 5:49PM
    Frequently cheaper than 50% off or 2 for 1 at London theatres is to benefit from group rates' discounts on the top price seats. Minimum numbers range from 8 to 15 with most at 10. Advance planning also helps secure the best location of seats. this is possible even if you are notpart of a formal group.
    If you already have a group or would like to benefit this way without finding a group do email [EMAIL="dghshowtrips@hotmail.co.uk"]dghshowtrips@hotmail.co.uk[/EMAIL] for emails with full details putting - theatresave in subject line.

Love Never Dies (the sequel to phantom of the Opera) releases information on its world premiere Adelphi Theatre London March 2010 and Broadway November 2010 in a big press launch 8 October. We already have a queue of folk for tickets!
    Les Miserables celebrates is 25th Anniversary week 4-9 October 2010 Queen's theatre London and we 79 folk have booked various performances through dghshowtrips including a resident of Australia who will be at 2 performances!
  • patrick0
    patrick0 Posts: 130 Forumite
    One thing that I'd thoroughly recommend to Londoners is The Audience Club. They sell seats for shows the theatre can't fill. Theatres want as many seats as possible filled as it's better for the cast and it means more alcohol/snack/programme sales.

I've been a member since October 2008 and have seen 28 plays/shows so far.

The majority of the shows are fringe ones - usually in theatres attached to pubs, though I've seen 3 major West End shows for £2 since I've been a member. I would list the shows I'd seen but it's a condition of membership you don't disclose the names of the shows on sale.

Angela who runs it is wonderful. She often gives away free tickets and answers any questions via email or phone. She sends out an email several times each week with a list of what's new. There's normally 15-25 shows available at any one time.

Shows currently on sale range from plays (these are usually the majority of options), children's dramas, orchestral music & choirs. You can see some of the venues they've provided tickets for if you visit their website.

You pay a yearly membership fee and then pay £2 for each ticket you purchase. Yearly membership is:
    • max 2 tickets per show: £35 for key workers or £50 standard
    • max 4 tickets per show: £75 (this is what I'll probably get next time as it means I can take friends as well as my partner)
    I think it helps if you live reasonably close to central London as getting home late at night can be a bit of a hassle if you live far away. Though there are plenty of shows available on Friday/Saturday nights.

I'd add that I've got absolutely nothing to do with TAC, I'm just a very satisfied customer.
  • anna42hmr
    anna42hmr Posts: 2,840
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    i have always found www.broadwaybox.com/london really good for london discounts and www.theboxoffice.com is also not bad (see tickets discount arm)
    MFW#105 - 2015 Overpaid £8095 / 2016 Overpaid £6983.24 / 2017 Overpaid £3583.12 / 2018 Overpaid £2583.12 / 2019 Overpaid £2583.12 / 2020 Overpaid £2583.12/ 2021 overpaid £1506.82 /2022 Overpaid £2975.28 / 2023 Overpaid £2677.30 / 2024 Target: £1800, £572.15 overpaid as at March so YTD = £355.88 Total OP since mortgage started in 2015 = £34,178.29
  • Is this thread leaning towards West End / London Theatre or theatre up and down the land?

• Kez100
    Kez100 Posts: 2,236 Forumite
    For London we used the website 'whats on stage' and managed to book £48 tickets for £29.50 (plus £1 postage for the total order) a month in advance. We were given the seat numbers so we checked out the seating plan first before deciding to buy. The service was really good and we received the tickets within a few days.
  • BILLY ELLIOT (London West End - Victoria)

If you don't mind sitting in either of the front 2 rows, you can get tickets for £25 each.

they class it as 'restricted view' because you are height level with the stage, but I took the missus and we found that it was a great view and felt like you were more involved with the actual show, being so close (could see actors expressions better etc...)
    Please take the time to have a look around my Daughter's website www.daisypalmertrust.co.uk
    (MSE Andrea says ok!)
  • p00hsticks
    p00hsticks Posts: 12,668
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Is this thread leaning towards West End / London Theatre or theatre up and down the land?

Hopefully, what we make it. Personally I live in Stoke, and would recommend anyone in the area who likes going to the theatre to become a 'Friend of the Regent'. It costs £20 a year and for that you get 2 for one 1 tickets for most opening nights and reductions on other nights. You can more than cover the price of the membership in two trips.

Looking up a link to post here, I've discovered that similar schemes seem to run in many of the theatres run by the Ambassador group, both in the West end and in regional theatres.

Links to the various theatre schemes are here

http://www.ambassadortickets.com/content.aspx?CategoryID=206&ArticleID=136&fp=1
  • anna42hmr
    anna42hmr Posts: 2,840
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    we are also members of the hippodromefriends membership at the birmingham hippodrome, we have joint membership for £40per year for 2 of us, and save at least 80-90 per year after the membership fee took off, as we always have £5 off tickets, plus a lot of buy one get one frees etc

also theatres run by livenation/clear channel have membership service as well
    MFW#105 - 2015 Overpaid £8095 / 2016 Overpaid £6983.24 / 2017 Overpaid £3583.12 / 2018 Overpaid £2583.12 / 2019 Overpaid £2583.12 / 2020 Overpaid £2583.12/ 2021 overpaid £1506.82 /2022 Overpaid £2975.28 / 2023 Overpaid £2677.30 / 2024 Target: £1800, £572.15 overpaid as at March so YTD = £355.88 Total OP since mortgage started in 2015 = £34,178.29
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,861
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Ambassador
    The half price ticket booth now has a booth in Brent Cross. Great if you live in North London as you can see what is available before travelling to the west end.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • ali1972
    ali1972 Posts: 599 Forumite
    That's probably to replace the one they closed down at Canary Wharf
    Yeah, whatever. I'm a grown up, I can take it...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure