PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

October 2008 Grocery Challenge. Please read first two posts.

Options

Comments

• Moniker
    Moniker Posts: 626 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Hi everyone - have just got home from work and have updated my signature following the big shop earlier in the day. Quite pleased as I have only spent just over £33 today and £10 of that was for a leg of lamb in Sainsbury's (MIL is coming to lunch on Sunday). I have about £120 to last till the end of the month and two more 'big shops' to do so I am hopeful of making it this time with a bit more to spare hopefully!

Good night all.

Moniker
  • teedy23
    teedy23 Posts: 2,088 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Another wee shop tonight of which I am justly proud. Armed with my £6.00 Glade coupon gleaned from Discounts thread and a few others I approached |Tesco in an orderly manner. My mission was to get a couple of things but mostly to get a £10 top up for my phone, left with all sorts of tins and reduced veg, not to mention 140 tea bags, priced £3.00. After coupon usage I spent .....29p. earned 13 points too.
    Forgot the top-up though.
    Have spent £1.79 on milk for work this week.
    :T:jDabbler in all things moneysaving.Master of none:o

Well except mastered my mortgage 5 yrs early :T:j
    Street finds for 2018 £26:49.
  • leebarton
    leebarton Posts: 250 Forumite
    Options
    Hi all.
    Spent £4.60 in Mr T - mainly on muller corners as the kids love them. I 'needed' some crisps, but was very good and bought value tortilla's - and a couple of satsumas - so could have been more!

A bit off subject, but I picked up an application for the new Mr T CC with 0% balance transfer - not really holding out much hope. I started to fill in the form and found that there wasn't anywhere to fill in my details! I rang them and told them, I did my application over the phone, and have been accepted - hurray! Have transferred the balance from Mr Branson's extortionate card of 34.9%. If I wasn't part of this challenge I wouldn't be gaining control of my spending and sorting things out!
    First Direct Loan @ 7.9% £13,076.03/£20,250
    Mint CC @ 18.9% £3030.29/£3100 Virgin CC @ 34.9% £651.46/£2700 Tesco CC @ 0% 1366/1500

Proud to be dealing with my debts :D - Official DFW Nerd No. 250
  • pink_princess
    pink_princess Posts: 13,581 Forumite
    Options
    Hi MRS MC can i declare my total for sept at £299.23 :j im really pleased at this as money is so tight at the moment and i refuse to touch the (little) savings.
    I ve already set budget for oct which runs for us until the 7th of nov.
    The positive of being SKINT is that the freezer is running down in time for christmas shopping.;)
    Good luck to all on their challenges.
    TTFN
    Oh its nice to see your still around angelnikki:D
    Life is short, smile while you still have teeth :D
  • echelon101
    Options
    Spent £2.06 in Mr S really sillyly, needed food quick, so bought 100g chocolate, tin of sardines and 150g cooked chicken, before the fast started for Yom Kippur. Unfortunately I didn't have any water so at about 11:30am the next day my kidneys felt like crap due to the salt and I was very woozy so had to have a glass of water.

Rule 1#: Never eat salty stuff before fasting.
    Buy for value not cost.
    Feb Grocery = £55.87 / 80
  • nickynoo08
    nickynoo08 Posts: 1,860 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hiya not been on for a while as i've been busy not spending. Got some milk and a fresh chicken yesterday. Should of come to £5 odd but cost me nowt coz my lovely mum got it for me. So far i have managed 8NSD this month, might actually come in under budget!!!
    £387.39/£196.46
    Pay my debt by End of Feb 2022
    49.28% paid!

£199.55/£500 savings by End of April 2022
    39.91% saved!

Make £2022 in 2022 - £20
  • EagerLearner
    EagerLearner Posts: 4,976 Forumite
    Options
    susan946 wrote: »
    EagerLearner -

We spend quite a lot of time in France and I used to bring all sorts of things back but I think it is generally more expensive now than the UK. Everything seems to have shot up there! We still bring wine, beer, cheese and and olive oil as they seem to have stayed cheaper than here but then just bring anything we particularly like.

Sadly, for the budget, so many things over there are too tempting, so I always seem to blow the budget - although it evens out over a couple of months.

Sue

Thanks Sue - much appreciated. I think that as we are spending £8ish a week on wine, there will be some savings there (although more temptation too, with it all sitting there in the kitchen :o:D ).
    Will get some olive oil and apparently washing powder is cheap? Maybe not so now, will have to see.
    MFW #185
    Mortgage slowly being offset! £86,987 /58,742 virtual balance
    Original mortgage free date 2037/ Now Nov 2034 and counting :T
    YNAB lover :D
  • carolt2
    carolt2 Posts: 854 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Good Morning Everyone,
    Not posted much this month as i have been busy, glad to see everyone is ok and managing.

Went to Mr T this morning and spent roughy £30, have updated signature.

For anyone thats interested,
    MR T are selling 18x284ml bottle of carlsberg export for £5, Offer expires 12/10/08 (got 2 boxes for OH out of his money)
    Bramley Apples (5 large apples per bag) BOGOF £1.68 per bag
    Muller corners are still 5 for £1
    Celery is half price. 34p each

I bought some T value mild cheddar cheese and noticed that some of the price per £/kilo were different on the packs, looks as though they are putting there price up... Most of the blocks had £5.20 ish per kilo and a few others were £4.70 per kilo... i know its only a few pence per kilo but it all adds up. I bought 2 of the cheaper blocks and put them in the freezer
    Whiskas (sp?) cat food is half price for the pouches, £1.68 per box

HTH someone
    'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle'
  • NorthWest-Lass
    Options
    cw18 thanks for the wave, shucks you made me blush:rotfl:

Mrs M thank for the advise and receipe I will be ordering s standard Remoska today. I hope you are on commission :D

Just back from MrA some of there offers if its helpful

1K Carrots 50p
    Lrg Cabbage 50p
    500g Leeks £1
    3 Mixed Peppers £1
    Potatos 2 for £2

Charmin Loo Roll 16 x £4

I'm off to make a Lancashire Hot Pot for tea:p

San
  • greent
    greent Posts: 10,671 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Well I'm a 1/3rd of the way through the month & I've spent £104.82, including some on xmas pressies & several month's worth (hopefully!) of hay for guinea pigs (will update sig in a mo). We're off to Portugal for a week 23rd-30th too -so there's NO way I shouldn't come under!

I need to go to Mr A tomorrow & get milk, ham & rice crispies (own brand). Not sure we'll need much else this weekend, except for a loaf of Mr T bread & perhaps a cucumber. We have loads of f & v in and still have peppers, carrots, onions, chillis in garden (and a couple of teeny cucumbers), so we're well sorted :)

I'm off out to lunch today with some friends - but that's not GC money :)

Re Mr T's value, we don't have a huge amount in my local store but online (from different store in centre of town) I can get over 450 items - so I'm guessing the majority of the range! We haven't got the mkt value stuff in our local one either - although we do have some of the 'discount' offers (Daisy cleaning stuff etc) - but they don't seem that much cheaper to me??

DH is now complaining about how full our cupboards are! I'm trying to use up stuff as much as poss this month, just to make sure things are rotated effectively (and stop his moaning!) It's his (DH) birthday next week, so I may get an M&S dine for £10 - or even Waitrose - I notice they're also doing the dine for £10 option. I'm also going to buy him a cake - something I wouldn't make, like a choccy fudge one, cos I don't like them! We 'seem' to have the budget this month, after all!!

Glad to see people are faring well - especially glad to see Orkney still posting :)

greent
    x
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport