Balancing not just the budget

Options

Comments

• RosaBernicia
    Options
    Yes! Yes! Yes! :T

I think I may print that out and stick it on my wall next to the vision board! :D:j
    Debt free May 2016... DFW#2 in progress
    Campervan paid off summer '21... MFW progress tbc
  • RosaBernicia
    Options
    ZTD wrote: »
    Ah, you take it far more seriously than I do. I just breeze past while doing "normal" shopping and use it as a lower-cost introduction to the wackier side of food.

And of course marvel that the supermarkets think that knocking 50p off will persuade people to buy a chunk of lamb that's half pink and half grey... :eek:

I am in awe of DIA's YS and menu planning skills. When I am growed up and in my dream life (instead of running around madly over-committed) I will do menu planning too (instead of existing in some weeks on M&S meals and cheese on toast).

I sometimes check the YS section but I'm bad enough at using the food I planned to buy, so only usually pick up things I definitely know how to use and that can go straight in the freezer.

Quite see your point about the state of some of the meat though... :eek:
  • doingitanyway
    Options
    And when I grow up and stop being madly overcommitted I will start flylady like you and get onto of my housework :)
    If you have built castles in the air, your work should not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.

Solicitor/survey savings 300/1700
    Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
  • ZTD
    ZTD Posts: 24,327 Forumite
    Options
    Tidying is happening slowly. Spending more time at home this week has helped.

As it does. Or you could enhance your "Disney Princess" skills and get cute woodland animals to tidy for you. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIwa9sPFT5I

It seems to be harder than it looks though...
    Not volunteering for yours til I've thoroughly researched whether that is a Z euphemism

No euphemism at all - I have boxes full of stuff that needs empting, sorting, and putting away. Does that mean you've volunteered? :p:rotfl:
    Hmm. Well the cats are rather thoughtless about their pension planning, so I'm not sure that's an entirely fair comparison.

When you can afford servants to keep you into dotage, what need do you have for a pension? ;)
    I should clarify that... the career move would be in my current day job field, which I have realised I do enjoy otherwise I couldn't have stuck it for so long, and the reason for it would be enabling me to make a geographical move without having to go back down the career ladder.

Why geographically? A better quality of life, or a bigger gap between your wages and essential expenses?
    The extra contract is in my second field of work and has been useful in adding to my skills for both fields, but has also shown that although I still love the subject, I have no interest in working in this particular sector of it. I think I can make a plan to exit gracefully.

Is that exit it in totality, or just that sector?

I am in awe of DIA's YS and menu planning skills. When I am growed up and in my dream life (instead of running around madly over-committed) I will do menu planning too (instead of existing in some weeks on M&S meals and cheese on toast).

M&S meals?! Is Waitrose falling out of favour? ;)
    I sometimes check the YS section but I'm bad enough at using the food I planned to buy, so only usually pick up things I definitely know how to use and that can go straight in the freezer.

I literally only buy what I will eat when I get back to the office. I'll try stuff I wouldn't normally buy, so that means I find out that Sundried tomato with a hint of parmesan and a twist of basil tastes awfully like tomato soup...

Who knew?
    "Follow the money!" - Deepthroat (AKA William Mark Felt Sr - Associate Director of the FBI)
    "We were born and raised in a summer haze." Adele 'Someone like you.'
    "Blowing your mind, 'cause you know what you'll find, when you're looking for things in the sky."
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
  • RosaBernicia
    Options
    I like the woodland animals plan. Though note that it seems to involve recruiting migrant woodland labour instead of persuading the resident cats to shift their furry behinds.
  • RosaBernicia
    Options
    Well the good news is all the tracking is happening ok, switch process seems to have gone smoothly, monthly rewards safely received, and I get paid slightly early.

The [STRIKE]bad[/STRIKE] less good :money: news is that I've wasted £30 on a Christmas present ordered from abroad that I didn't get to pick up from the sorting office in time, due to being ill (and the unhelpfulness of Royal Mail, who don't tell you that redelivery actually has to be arranged within 19 days not 21 until you try to pay, and won't give a phone number for the local office). I suppose it could be considered £15 wasted as I haven't had to pay the customs charges. I now need to buy another present too, of course. And I haven't heard back from my new CC application - not so much as a 'thanks for applying we'll think about it' email. Plus my credit rating has dropped - I suspect due to switching away from my old accounts. Can't be helped - I'm pleased to have done it, and if my CC application is turned down I will just ask the Co-op Bank for one since hopefully being an existing customer will help. I'm intending to keep the Co-op account as my main one since it does still appear to be the most ethical option, and I've now joined the customer union to try and help keep it that way.

I'm a bit behind on Christmas - should really have sent some cards, and will try and do that over the next few days. I have quite a lot left over from previous years and think I will use them up rather than rush out and buy new ones - hopefully nobody will notice that they aren't current or that I may have sent them a similar one last year. I also need a bit of a catch up on housework as being ill and having assignment slowed that down, but it won't take long to get back on track. Haven't decorated and am not really sure I can be faffed tbh - I will be away for actual Christmas and my vague intentions of having people round beforehand are a bit too late! - that leaves me and the cats to appreciate it and I as I'm swamped with assignments and interview prep, frankly I'd rather have the time with a book or the TV.

Tidying/ decluttering continues and I'm feeling quite optimistic about that, it doesn't seem like an insurmountable horror any more. Still need to call someone for a few bits around the house, but it's getting there.

So am I, I suppose... plodding upwards as ever :D

Rosa xx
  • doingitanyway
    Options
    Glad your home is 'getting there' :)
    If you have built castles in the air, your work should not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.

Solicitor/survey savings 300/1700
    Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
  • EssexHebridean
    Options
    ZTD wrote: »
    Or indeed if it's something you really hate doing. The concept of Consumer Surplus shows that makes good economic sense if you're a rational consumer.
    This is what I love about you Z - your ability to read sub-text! Yes, I freely confess to loathing gloss painting! :rotfl:

We've been working our way through the same boxes of Christmas cards for several years now Rosa - bought several boxes ludicrously cheap after Christmas about 4 years back and we send so few now...If none of our family have noticed this by now they must be blind! :rotfl:
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • RosaBernicia
    Options
    Glad your home is 'getting there' :)

Thanks DIA

Couple more bits sorted this week as I've finally been in the local office and able to run in Wilk0s. Hoping to do a bit more decluttering over the bank hols and weekends, then need an electrician and a handyman or helpful friend in the New Year. After that, a coat of paint and tidying the garden should see it in a nearly saleable condition - and that's what I want to reach, so that I know if I do want to move then things can be sorted quickly.

Rosa xx
  • RosaBernicia
    Options
    We've been working our way through the same boxes of Christmas cards for several years now Rosa - bought several boxes ludicrously cheap after Christmas about 4 years back and we send so few now...If none of our family have noticed this by now they must be blind! :rotfl:

:rotfl: Excellent I am in good company then! :T

I'm so late anyhow I think I will just send apologies by social media and make an extra charity donation.

Rosa xx
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family