If you leave all your social media passwords belong to us

Options

Comments

• mattcanary
    mattcanary Posts: 4,420 Forumite
    Options
    TELLIT01 wrote: »
    I don't understand the concern about giving over passwords when you leave. Just give them your current passwords and change them as soon as you get home. You've complied with their requirements with no harm to yourself other than a couple of minutes at the keyboard. I think it's a stupid thing to put into the contract for the very reasons I've given.
    Dress code is a different matter and all employers have a right to state what is or isn't acceptable, within reason. 'Hazardous activity' is a more difficult one and should be more clearly defined by the employer simply because it is too wide open to interpretation. My first employer tried to claim that football fell into that category!

That's not the point! If they put in some of the clauses they have into their terms of employment, what kind of employer are they? A !!!! one, I;d guess!
  • Murphybear
    Murphybear Posts: 7,278 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Mojisola wrote: »
    It sounds draconian to me - just as well I'm out of the workplace now. :(

If they have the right to insist on having access to all your personal social media, why don't they demand copies of all letters written and received and recordings of conversations you have when in a social setting?

i was going to say something similar. My last paid employment was 2004 at a University, and there were no conditions even remotely like these. Have things changed so much? The shoe clause was interesting, no heels or sandals. As most sandals are flat that doesn't leave much to choose from;)
  • skull
    skull Posts: 50 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Am I missing something? NO-ONE should have access to your passwords and user names, as they could then enter comments as though they were you, including defamatory ones. It only takes a boss/supervisor who has a grudge against you, or who is a bully, or predator to write something untrue about you, for it to affect your chance of a next job, as employers often look at your social media page to suss you out, so I'm told. There is enough bullying in the workplace as it is. Surely they could request you access your site for them to view without seeing your password if they have a problem or suspect you have written something nasty about them. Just saying...
  • Rosemary7391
    Rosemary7391 Posts: 2,879 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Here's a thought - how do they define "social media"? If they include things like MyFitnessPal (they have a forum there after all, and a "wall" where you can share things...), then handing over those passwords with all their data is a bit different from a LinkedIn professional profile...
    https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/social%20media
  • Malthusian
    Malthusian Posts: 10,938 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Since the stupid clause is aimed at people who have been badmouthing their employers on social media, they would probably say that they only want to see the accounts on which you were badmouthing them to a wide audience or were suspected of doing so. So obviously they don't need your MyFitnessPal password.

If they did try to enforce this clause against you, then instead of saying "Haha, the clause is stupid because I have 2FA / it's against their T&Cs, you're not having my passwords" it would be better to meet them halfway and say "I'm not giving you my passwords because there's no need for anyone at the company to have that power over my account, however I'm happy to sit with a manager and scroll through my Facebook feed for as long as it takes until you're satisfied there's nothing there." Assuming of course you want to keep the job. Obviously I could already have deleted the offending posts, but I could have done the same before giving them the password.

If they're reasonable they have no reason not to agree to this and if they're unreasonable you are probably screwed no matter what you do.
  • tgroom57
    tgroom57 Posts: 1,431 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I work in tech and yes I've been in work many years now, moving around every one to two years. I have four offers on the table currently and while this job is on paper the best, it's the only one that's mentioned these things.

I personally can't believe you're all so willing to hand over all your social media passwords.

I've been away from work (tech) a while but I wouldn't put up with this nonsense about passwords.
    • If I was going to 'review' them it would be on Glassdoor, not facebook.
    • List of contacts can be exported from Linked in and that's what they'd get (at most) -but if I was handing over their contact details I'd obviously notify / advise all my Linked In contacts first.

I wonder what else the company haven't thought through.
  • Energize
    Energize Posts: 509 Forumite
    Options
    Asking to hand over passwords is ridiculous and not a normal clause at all, it is a complete red flag and unenforceable. Run away as fast as you can because it's a sign of worse things to come!
  • robatwork
    robatwork Posts: 7,090 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    soolin wrote: »
    One large respected employer has just had to remind all staff about the dress code in this weather- which includes fine detail right down to the minimum amount of strap/sleeve required - basically saying shoulders must be covered, no spaghetti straps or vest tops unless covered by a cardigan which is not removed. I've also in the past worked for a city institution that required all staff to have their legs covered either with trousers, although ladies were allowed to wear tights/stockings that gave an appearance of more than 10 denier.

I know you don't work there but I would be interested in seeing this policy in written form, and know how it's enforced, as it sounds frankly bordering on ridiculous. To whose eyes is the 10 denier "appearance"? Or do they measure the luminous transmittance of said tights, or does the employee have to produce her (yes I assumed her gender) till receipt and empty packaging? I'm no expert but 10 is pretty sheer I believe.

And to the OP - I think asking for your LinkedIn password is a step too far as this covers your entire career not just the period with that employer. Unless it was a very specific job such as a recruitment consultant where you setup an online profile specifically for your role so that your facebook/twitter/linkedin was purely for contacts garnered in that job.

You could give them the wrong password anyway - what action are they realistically going to take?
  • marlot
    marlot Posts: 4,934 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    My father's employer tried to get him to sign that he had to get company permission, in writing, for all paid and voluntary work done by him or any member of his family. It was worded so badly that he's have needed to get permission just to run a neighbour to the shops!
  • Gavin83
    Gavin83 Posts: 8,749 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    marlot wrote: »
    My father's employer tried to get him to sign that he had to get company permission, in writing, for all paid and voluntary work done by him or any member of his family. It was worded so badly that he's have needed to get permission just to run a neighbour to the shops!

What does your father do?

It's common for a company to ask you to request their permission if you wish to take up further work and I can see why they'd do this. However I don't see how a company has any right over the work done by other people!

I'd say for him it would be enforceable, for his family members not at all.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure