DMP Mutual Support Thread - Part 12

Options

Comments

• 100kdeep
    100kdeep Posts: 12 Forumite
    Options
    keep going backward and forward with how im going to start my dmp. think starting with stepchange then going self-managed seems the best option for the chances of interest being frozen.

but want to do three months of token payments ( would allow me to save a good emergency fund) but would i be risking 3 month worth of full fat interest if i sent token payment letters first? (all debt is low interest at the moment) interest per month could be upto £1500 ish per month if they dont freeze ? so total could be jump up a lot before i start

so step change first or token payments then stepchange then self manage or token payments then selfmanaged.

is there any point asking for cca if account was opened online as i think most of mine where and all where opened 2009 onwards

thanks in advance
  • Puzzcat
    Puzzcat Posts: 4,200 Forumite
    Options
    100kdeep wrote: »
    keep going backward and forward with how im going to start my dmp. think starting with stepchange then going self-managed seems the best option for the chances of interest being frozen.

but want to do three months of token payments ( would allow me to save a good emergency fund) but would i be risking 3 month worth of full fat interest if i sent token payment letters first? (all debt is low interest at the moment) interest per month could be upto £1500 ish per month if they dont freeze ? so total could be jump up a lot before i start

so step change first or token payments then stepchange then self manage or token payments then selfmanaged.

is there any point asking for cca if account was opened online as i think most of mine where and all where opened 2009 onwards

thanks in advance

I started with stepchange and now self manage. I did token payments for 3 months and kept my creditors updated and then started the dmp with sc. I did accrue some interest during the first 3 months but 8 out of 9 froze interest quickly when the dmp kicked in. You can cca any age debt, you might be lucky!
    Puzz
    Christmas 2020 £109
    I love my dmp started in Nov 13 with SC. Self Managed 2016 57% done
    £60062/25384.84 - 13222.60k UE

MY DIARY
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4768685
  • January2015
    January2015 Posts: 2,369 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Puzzcat wrote: »
    Unfortunately it's not so clear cut, as the ombudsmen sided with my creditor despite the debt even being sold! I am now trying the ICO but been waiting over 5 weeks for a hint of a reply...

Sorry to hear that Puzz - I honestly think if you put the argument I mentioned to a creditor - about treating non-payers preferentially by defaulting them and not defaulting you because you are attempting to be responsible and deal with your debts - they would struggle to continue to mark CRA files with AP/AR and not backdate default markers. I think this because it is fact - completely ignore them, don't pay and you will get promptly defaulted. Act responsibly and try to pay even though you are in financial difficulty and they are penalising you.

Good luck with the ICO.:beer:
    DFW Nerd No. 1484 LBM 07/01/15 Debt was £95k :eek: Now debt free and happy :j
  • 100kdeep
    100kdeep Posts: 12 Forumite
    Options
    did you send a token payment letter or just call them up ? puzzcat
  • torheb
    torheb Posts: 20 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi everyone, just wondering if anyone has any experience of car leases while on DMP - we started our DMP with SC in June and have a lease car, it goes back in February but there will be an excess mileage charge when it goes back I'm trying to budget for saving for this but I'm really stressing about it and it's all I can think about - I know we'll need to save for a run around too so just can't see how we'll manage - has anyone added excess mileage charges to the DMP, its with alphera finance, it's my main stress at the moment and I can't think past it so if anyone has any experience it'd be really helpful - thanks
  • purplepaws
    purplepaws Posts: 76 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hello torheb,
    I don't know if it is any help but I only have experience of the 'excess mileage charge' bit - we got rid of the car before embarking on the DMP.
    If you know the mileage charge, then go ahead and calculate what it will total. If you can, try to cut the mileage down as much as you can between now and when you will be telling the car company that you are handing the car back. (If you are more than 50% through your contract time period, you can just hand the keys back and walk away rather than waiting until the contract end, although you'll still need to pay off the excess mileage.)
    There will also be a terrifying list of things you need to make sure are acceptable before handing the car back. Do not worry too much about putting new tires, fixing dents or repairing the windscreen - I have handed 2 different cars back in the last 12 months - the 1st one I fussed over for ages and spent a fortune on repairing everything, didn't bother with the 2nd, just gave it a wash. Was never contacted to pay towards the windscreen (that had a chip init) and to sort some superficial scratches on the doors.
    In my experience, you will not be able to return the car until the excess charges are paid, which I had to pay over the phone before I could arrange collection. This was through Mini finance who use BCA as the collection and inspection company.
    So, I'm guessing that you would not be able to add the excess mileage charge to a DMP? Sorry . . .
    DMP launched 04/07/17 left to pay = £14,238.79 (£16,982.82 original debt.) Thanks to MSE & all you wonderful Forum Peeps!:T
  • Puzzcat
    Options
    Sorry to hear that Puzz - I honestly think if you put the argument I mentioned to a creditor - about treating non-payers preferentially by defaulting them and not defaulting you because you are attempting to be responsible and deal with your debts - they would struggle to continue to mark CRA files with AP/AR and not backdate default markers. I think this because it is fact - completely ignore them, don't pay and you will get promptly defaulted. Act responsibly and try to pay even though you are in financial difficulty and they are penalising you.

Good luck with the ICO.:beer:

I have quoted everything, still no joy!
    Christmas 2020 £109

MY DIARY
  • Puzzcat
    Options
    100kdeep wrote: »
    did you send a token payment letter or just call them up ? puzzcat

I sent a letter every month with a £1 cheque.
    Puzz
    Christmas 2020 £109

MY DIARY
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Hi spiffyiffy & CBC

The wording to use to request backdated defaults is to say something along the lines of....

I informed you in mmm-yyyy that I was in financial difficulty and took advice regarding entering a DMP. You have continued to mark my credit reference files with AR/AP (change to whatever is appropriate for your circumstances). Had I been irresponsible and ignored my debts, this account would have been promptly defaulted in YYYY.

As you are aware, default markers remain on credit agency reference files for 6 years from the date of default. However, as you are also aware AP/AR markers remain for a period of 6 years after the account has been settled. Therefore had I been irresponsible and ignored this debt the default marker would drop of my CRA files in xxxx.

This letter is a formal complaint because I therefore believe you are penalising me for being responsible and trying to deal with my debts. You are treating customers who fail to keep in contact with you, and who fail to make any attempts to repay their debts more preferably than me.

The solution I am seeking to this complaint is that you default this account and back-date the default on my CRA files to dd/mmm/yyyy

Creditors would struggle to put up an argument to this - because it really is treating people who don't pay or communicate preferably and that cannot be fair. I have won the argument with BC and NW. It didn't have to go to ombudsman but I think if it did even the ombudsman would struggle to agree with the banks.

Thanks, January:A. That sounds absolutely perfect:T. I'll definitely be using it with Lloyds.

Puzz, really sorry that it didn't work for you though. I'll risk it and see what happens, hoping that they'll see the sense of it. Sadly, Lloyds have given me more grief than all my other creditors put together so I'm not taking anything for granted.
  • Rebeccadougherty
    Rebeccadougherty Posts: 47 Forumite
    edited 7 July 2017 at 7:40AM
    Options
    Hi again all
    Thank you for all the kind words. It's been so reassuring and I can't express enough my gratitude x still feeling a bit naff but not as bad x

At the risk of just seeming incredibly dense, please could someone advise about NEDCAB? I end up on North East Derbyshire CAB site which I assume is correct but I just cannot see any template letters at all. I just wanted to send a letter to advise I would be making lesser payment for a further two months. Thank you in advance sorry to be so dense! X
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure