Parking near tube for wimbledon

full-time-mum
full-time-mum Posts: 1,962 Forumite
My OH and a friend have tickets for Wimbledon (a Friday).

For the past few years, he has been lucky enough to have a friend who lived in Wimbledon so parking wasn't a problem. However, the friend now lives in Norwich which isn't quite so convenient!

We've just spent the weekend in London staying in the Ealing area and all the streets around the tube are permit parking only.

When visiting London in the past, we have always driven to Cockfosters and used street parking there but I'm guessing that the residential streets are all going to be permit parking now - can anyone confirm this, please?

Has anyone got any other solutions? Obviously, OH will not want to park his new (to us anyway) car in dodgy areas.

He is going to look into the train but we suspect it will be prohibitively expensive - he doesn't want to be commited to returning at a specific time in case play gets extended or rained off and he wants to return later/earlier.

Of course, if you happen to have a drive in the Wimbledon area, I'm sure he would be willing to come to an agreement! :D
7 Angel Bears for LovingHands Autumn Challenge. 10 KYSTGYSES. 3 and 3/4 (ran out of wool) small blanket/large square, 2 premie blankets, 2 Angel Claire Bodywarmers

Comments

• davetrousers
    davetrousers Posts: 5,862 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Where will you be driving from, North, South?

I have 1 idea but it isn't that great!

• full-time-mum
    Where will you be driving from, North, South?

I have 1 idea but it isn't that great!

From the North down the M1.

Any ideas gratefully considered.
    7 Angel Bears for LovingHands Autumn Challenge. 10 KYSTGYSES. 3 and 3/4 (ran out of wool) small blanket/large square, 2 premie blankets, 2 Angel Claire Bodywarmers
  • davetrousers
    It's not the best idea and I am sure someone will say it's a bad idea. And coming from the north down the M1 might make it less ideal.

You can park at the Wimbledon Morden Travelodge / Harvester for free, it is right by a bus stop which you could use to get to Wimbledon Tennis Club.

Go to the TFL website and use their journey planner (From SM4 5PH postcode to The All England Lawn Tennis and Croquet Club (Wimbledon) place of interest), it does seem moderately straightforward to do by bus (no. 93). Use an Oyster card, don't use cash.

• full-time-mum
    It's not the best idea and I am sure someone will say it's a bad idea. And coming from the north down the M1 might make it less ideal.

You can park at the Wimbledon Morden Travelodge / Harvester for free, it is right by a bus stop which you could use to get to Wimbledon Tennis Club.

Go to the TFL website and use their journey planner (From SM4 5PH postcode to The All England Lawn Tennis and Croquet Club (Wimbledon) place of interest), it does seem moderately straightforward to do by bus (no. 93). Use an Oyster card, don't use cash.

I'll pass that one on.

Will they not clamp you or something if you aren't staying with them?
  • davetrousers
    I asked at the reception once (when I was staying there) about the parking and was told that the parking wasn't monitored. So i asked if I could park there for the day and go off elsewhere and was told it wasn't a problem. I had a £1 Hoxton (Hotel room) a couple of months ago, so I drove to the Wimbledon Morden Travelodge and parked there and got the tube to the hotel.

• full-time-mum
    He has now discovered the parkonmyhouse website which looks as though it might solve the problem.

Has anyone else used this service?
  • full-time-mum
    Just thought I'd give you an update.
    the parkatmyhouse thing didn't pan out. Emailed a potential advertiser who said £5 payable on the day. Came back with - oh its wimbledon, that'll be £25 payable in advance so a waste of time. Now arranged parking at a friend on the outskirts and using train to get in.
  • mandym
    mandym Posts: 65 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Parking is still ok at Cockfosters, you just have to get there early as everyone has the same idea.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure