PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Super Scrimpers

Options

Comments

• candygirl
    candygirl Posts: 29,455 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Spike can you recommend a clear varnish to paint over acryillc paints on glass.It's a bit off topic but you seem v knowledgeable;)
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004):D:D:D
  • MandM90
    MandM90 Posts: 2,246 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    spike7451 wrote: »
    Mand,
    If you want some funky colors,again have a look in model shops,you can buy tubs of Acrylic water based paints in dayglo,clear & other colors that'll last for ages.If you're going to buy them,get the Revell ones as opposed to Humbrol,they give a flatter finish.

Thanks :) Until seeing that girl use eyeliner then gloss I'd never thought of 'sealing' things in. Apparently my sister-in-law used to even use gel pens under clear gloss :eek:
  • PIGSMAYFLY
    Options
    I have used gel pens under gloss, they look fine and it makes a great evening with the girls (with some rather interesting results)
    -2lbs

Goal: lose 7lbs
  • givememoney
    givememoney Posts: 1,224 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    MandM90 wrote: »
    Ashamed to say I used to spend upwards of 80 a month on manicures and pedicures. Now I just DIY. At first I really missed getting it done but now I've got so much better at it I can't believe I ever wasted the money. Plus it's nice to have my real nails and not icky false ones; just takes a little more TLC.

well done you. athough I wouldn't personally do my nails like that (not becomming for someone over 60 I feel) I thought at least it was something different.

I love such programmes but they don't tell you anything new really the tips are what you already know or are so ridiculous you wouldn't consider it.
  • PIGSMAYFLY
    Options
    Oh no that mascara tip looks awful!
    -2lbs

Goal: lose 7lbs
  • candygirl
    candygirl Posts: 29,455 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    PIGSMAYFLY wrote: »

It'd go in my contact lenses lol:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004):D:D:D
  • spike7451
    spike7451 Posts: 6,944 Forumite
    Options
    candygirl wrote: »
    Spike can you recommend a clear varnish to paint over acryillc paints on glass.It's a bit off topic but you seem v knowledgeable;)

Yup...I've been making models for over 25 years...(old fart that I am!)
    Here you go,it's a spray can tho;

http://www.relishmodels.co.uk/index.php?target=products&mode=search&subcats=Y&type=extended&avail=Y&pshort=N&pfull=N&pname=Y&pkeywords=Y&cid=16&match=all&q=acrylic+varnish&x=0&y=0

If you contact them,ask for Graham & say you know Merv (me)

One trick we use on models is to coat things in Future Floor Polish (now rebranded as Johnsons Clear),it dries clear like a varnish &,if you have any brass that discolors,polish it & then coat in Future,that;ll stop it tarnishing.
  • bendanmommy
    Options
    Watched with interest as I like the tips. Did think there seemed to be more tips and less Mrs M, which I think is better.

Couldn't believe how much that family spent on food:eek:. They did a meal plan but didn't check what she had in the cupboards first, that would have probably saved a bit more.

Looking forward to next week and the lady cooking with offal, wouldn't normally think of buying that.
  • MandM90
    MandM90 Posts: 2,246 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    PIGSMAYFLY wrote: »

Lumpy...just like that awful black and white double ender (oh err) they brought out a few years ago.

givememoney, I didn't like the designs either...I'm more of a subtle block colour girl (unless it's Xmas, in which case tacky glitzy red is allowed) but I have seen lots of ladies get them done and would never think you could do that sort of thing at home. When DD grows up she might appreciate me having the know how.
  • Aarons_mummy
    Options
    I'm glad this is back on, I'm watching it at the mo. The £50 challenge was awful! That was only for evening meals, I spend not much more than that in a month!

There were some good tips but I think as PP says it's more aimed at people who have NO thriftiness rather than people who are used to doing it this way.

And yes I agree the mascara tip was the worst of the lot, it was clumpy, my advice find a cheap mascara you like (personally I use any!) and add a few coats which give larger lashes minus any clumps.

I liked that this had a lot more tips rather than being soley focused on the family of that week.
    Credit Card: £796 Left/£900 October 2011 :eek:
    Store Card: £100 October 2011 :o
    Declutter 100 Things In January 100/100:j:beer:
    No Buying Toiletries 2012
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business