Cling film double glazing and condensation

Hi everyone

Wonder if anyone can help. Looking to get some of the 'cling film' type double glazing from Wilkinsons and use it across 3 of the the four panels of our casement bedroom windows (single glazed) and leave the small 4th panel uncovered so that we can open the window to keep the rooms ventilated during the day

I hope this doesn't sound daft but does condensation still appear on windows that have this cling film double glazing on them?

When we rented a few years ago they had 'proper' secondary double glazing fitted but again the outer windows were always covered in condensation in a morning if now window open at night - but of course you just slid open the glass panel and could wipe it all away.

In our current house we also have terrible condensation on colder nights if the window isn't kept open and am worried that with the cling film obviously I wouldn't be able to wipe away the condensation and it would just be running into wooden frames all winter.

Also - does the film double glazing reduce outside noise in anway?

Thank you

Comments

• newbie71 wrote: »
    Hi everyone

Wonder if anyone can help. Looking to get some of the 'cling film' type double glazing from Wilkinsons and use it across 3 of the the four panels of our casement bedroom windows (single glazed) and leave the small 4th panel uncovered so that we can open the window to keep the rooms ventilated during the day

I hope this doesn't sound daft but does condensation still appear on windows that have this cling film double glazing on them?

When we rented a few years ago they had 'proper' secondary double glazing fitted but again the outer windows were always covered in condensation in a morning if now window open at night - but of course you just slid open the glass panel and could wipe it all away.

In our current house we also have terrible condensation on colder nights if the window isn't kept open and am worried that with the cling film obviously I wouldn't be able to wipe away the condensation and it would just be running into wooden frames all winter.

Also - does the film double glazing reduce outside noise in anway?

Thank you

Not sure about the cling film idea. Have you thought about whats causing the condensation.
    Have a look here http://www.specifypga.com/index/articles/articles_section_list/1/Condensation%20Myths%20and%20Facts/
    Have you thought about getting a Dehumidifier>
    If i could i would, but i cannot so i wont, but maybe one day i will.
  • Hi,
    I used to use the clingfilm type double glazing years ago. And condensation between the panes can be a slight problem, that you cant do much about. The more draughty a window was, the less condensation it got, as the breeze blew away the moisture laden air.

It is worth doing, as it blocks the draughts.
  • I have seen some advice saying fit the cling film double glazing at the coldest part of the day to help avoid condensation.

Nick
  • djheath
    djheath Posts: 453
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I am afraid it doesn't work!

I have had cling film on all my windows for the past month and although the first week was condensation free, it soom came back, albeit, not as much as without the cling film, but it still dripped down and just collected at the bottom. This weekend I bit the bullet and bought a dehumidifier. Its helped loads and has already removed loads of water from my flat.
  • 27col
    27col Posts: 6,554 Forumite
    What is this requirement to have windows open in cold weather. I would certainly not let out any of my expensive heat by opening windows. I suppose it takes all sorts, and we all have our funny little foibles.
    I can afford anything that I want.
    Just so long as I don't want much.
  • Does anyone know where I can buy this film??

Searched but cant find it!!
  • angelavdavis
    angelavdavis Posts: 4,714
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    This company supplies it. I haven't personally used them though.

http://www.window-insulation-film.co.uk/
    :D Thanks to MSE, I am mortgage free!:D
  • djheath
    djheath Posts: 453
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    dodd007 wrote: »
    Does anyone know where I can buy this film??

Searched but cant find it!!
    You local wilkinsons sell it.
  • On the Old Style Board they talk about using bubble wrap instead as I think it has better insulating properties. You can't see through it tho'.
  • maninthestreet
    maninthestreet Posts: 16,127
    First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Condesation on the inside of a bedroom window, even with DG, is normal and expected. 1 or 2 people sleeping in a room for 6 to 8 hours produce a lot of humidity due to their breathing.
    "You were only supposed to blow the bl**dy doors off!!"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport