New Chicken Scandal : supplier fiddles dates.

Go read this article about a chicken supplier to some top supermarkets changing dates among other things.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2017/sep/28/uks-top-supplier-of-supermarket-chicken-fiddles-food-safety-dates

You may never look at supermarket chicken in the same way again! :eek:
The more I live, the more I learn.
The more I learn, the more I grow.
The more I grow, the more I see.
The more I see, the more I know.
The more I know, the more I see,
How little I know.!! ;)

Comments

• vigman
    vigman Posts: 1,377 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    This summer I returned two packages of chicken fillets to Tesco Ryde branch. Both were in date and one was Willow Farm.

They both smelled rank and were clearly unfit to eat.

The first time I filed a report and got a letter and a £3 voucher.

The second time I told the customer service desk there must be a serious problem and to tell the food manager concerned. She said that everything was temperature controlled so nothing could go off.

Seeing chicken being picked off the floor and returned chicken put back on the fresh line apart from changing date of slaughter and use by labels explains everything.

All food purchased should be fit to eat. I have a seriously impaired immune system and could be made seriously ill or even killed through a bad episode of food poisoning.

Whatever happens I will NEVER buy poultry from Tesco again!

Vigman
    Any information given in my posts or replies is intended to be of interest and/or help to members of the forum. I cannot guarantee that this is accurate or up to date.
  • dlusman
    dlusman Posts: 2,711 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    vigman wrote: »
    Whatever happens I will NEVER buy poultry from Tesco again!

why pick just on Tesco ? According to the article the company involved supplies lots of supermarkets including tesco , M&S , Sainsburys,Aldi , Lidl .
  • vigman
    edited 29 September 2017 at 10:56AM
    dlusman wrote: »
    why pick just on Tesco ? According to the article the company involved supplies lots of supermarkets including tesco , M&S , Sainsburys,Aldi , Lidl .

Because that is where I purchased the spoiled poultry from. I would not buy from other supermarkets named who use(d) that supplier however my main shop is at a nearby Tesco. It was to them that I pointed out a problem with bad poultry on two separate occasions.

I did not hear that M&S were implicated in this scandal?

Vigman
    Any information given in my posts or replies is intended to be of interest and/or help to members of the forum. I cannot guarantee that this is accurate or up to date.
  • dlusman
    dlusman Posts: 2,711 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!

I did not hear that M&S were implicated in this scandal?

Vigman

Have you actually read the link ?
  • pelirocco
    pelirocco Posts: 8,274 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Supermarket chickens are cheap for a reason , The consumer wants to buy cheap food , therefore they go to the shop selling the cheapest item , The supermarkets want to compete so they put pressure on their suppliers t provide cheap chickens ...the supplier cuts corners

And everyone is shocked/ surprised

How much do you think it costs to raise a chicken ethically ( if theres so a thing ) apart from food , housing and needs of the animal you have the overheads of the business and then their profit , There is then the cost of 'processing the animal'
    The cost of transporting the meat
    The costs , overheads and profit of the end seller
    These supermarkets are seller chickens for a few pounds !!

Ultimately the blame has to be laid at the feet of you , the consumer and sites like MSE which tell you that you should be paying less for your food

Can you just imagine what the meat has been through when you buy a takeaway
    Vuja De - the feeling you'll be here later
  • vigman
    dlusman wrote: »
    Have you actually read the link ?

No as I saw the News at 10 report last night and the Guardian articles.

As I don't buy from other supermarkets other than a nearby Tesco I was simply curious to know if M&S were also implicated

Vigman
  • vigman
    Having just been to the local Tesco not only have they not withdrawn Willow Farm poultry but there is a Special Offer sign in the aisle.

This is a real two fingers up to the consumer

Vigman
  • vigman
    pelirocco wrote: »
    Supermarket chickens are cheap for a reason , The consumer wants to buy cheap food , therefore they go to the shop selling the cheapest item , The supermarkets want to compete so they put pressure on their suppliers t provide cheap chickens ...the supplier cuts corners

And everyone is shocked/ surprised

How much do you think it costs to raise a chicken ethically ( if theres so a thing ) apart from food , housing and needs of the animal you have the overheads of the business and then their profit , There is then the cost of 'processing the animal'
    The cost of transporting the meat
    The costs , overheads and profit of the end seller
    These supermarkets are seller chickens for a few pounds !!

Ultimately the blame has to be laid at the feet of you , the consumer and sites like MSE which tell you that you should be paying less for your food

Can you just imagine what the meat has been through when you buy a takeaway

Firstly having owned an outside catering business and seen what goes on in other kitchens we never eat takeaways!

Realistically I expect cheap chicken to be fairly tasteless and colourless, probably with added water to increase bulk.

I do NOT expect it to have had the dates of slaughter and use by changed, being picked off the floor or have returned stock added to the fresh line. This will be contaminated and not fit to eat

Having said that I returned a much more expensive Tesco Finest pack of in date chicken fillets as they also smelled off

Vigman
  • Mee
    Mee Posts: 1,441 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 29 September 2017 at 12:13PM
    This has come up before. I use to have a problem with chicken pieces sold by Sainsbury's well before they admitted a problem in 2016. No longer buy it from them.

PS I'm thinking of giving up chicken anyway and will defo if/when the UK signs a trade deal with the US.
    Free thinker.:cool:
  • pelirocco
    pelirocco Posts: 8,274 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 29 September 2017 at 1:12PM
    Firstly having owned an outside catering business and seen what goes on in other kitchens we never eat takeaways!

Realistically I expect cheap chicken to be fairly tasteless and colourless, probably with added water to increase bulk.

I do NOT expect it to have had the dates of slaughter and use by changed, being picked off the floor or have returned stock added to the fresh line. This will be contaminated and not fit to eat

Having said that I returned a much more expensive Tesco Finest pack of in date chicken fillets as they also smelled off

Vigman

People take short cuts all the time when it comes to making a living , Of course you expect your food to be safe , but time and time again we hear that this is not the case ..Horse meat scandal anyone?
    The meat production industry is a ticking time bomb , we allready import vast quantities
    I am not sure of the date of this report , but read below

UK poultry consumption on the increase

On the other hand, total consumption of poultry meat in the UK, including turkey and to a much lesser extent duck and geese, grew from 2.07 MT in 2011 to 2.13 MT in 2014 before jumping to 2.306 MT last year, thus creating an ever larger gap between demand and supply. As a result, the UK had to import 939,000 tonnes of poultry meat, which was almost 8% more than in 2014. British exports of poultry meat further declined to just 323,000 tonnes.

The largest portion of these imports is fresh or frozen chicken and other poultry meat, of which the UK last year had to buy 438,000 tonnes in other countries. The Netherlands supplied 190,500 tonnes or 43% of total imports in this category. Last year, Dutch exports of this meat to the UK was 7% higher than in the 2 previous years. Other major suppliers are Poland which sent 65,500 tonnes to the British market, followed by Ireland, Germany and Belgium. However, imports of processed poultry products mostly come from much further away, with Thailand supplying 127,200 tonnes and Brasil 42,200 tonnes.

You may buy chickens with labels saying produced in the UK , but can you trust these labels? ....I'm not suggest the supermarkets are misleading us , but its all too likely they could be misled

And of course with have the likely hood of the US being allowed to export their meat to us
    Vuja De - the feeling you'll be here later
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport