IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Debt recovery plus

I recieved a parking ticket from parking in Asda for too long...this was back in October 2016.

Recently I got a letter to remind me about it.

This was followed by another letter today which says notice of intended court action. Today's letter was dated the 9th of June but was only recieved today the 14th.

It says in the previous letter they told me about the Supreme Court ruling in November 2015 where the court ruled that the parking charge was lawful.

It also refers to a case in January 2017 of a £24.500 judgment made against someone.

I'm really confused by all of this, I was under the impression in Scotland private parking is not enforceable. But these threatening letters are starting to worry me.

They are also requesting me to pay £130 which I think is a bit costly for a parking ticket. They say I must pay by the 23rd which is less than 10 days away since I only recieved the letter today!?

Advice please?

Comments

• Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    As long as they don't know who was driving they are unenforceable.

But that doesn't stop the creditors trying to get paid

Do a search in this forum for drp.
  • fisherjim
    fisherjim Posts: 5,980
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    DRP are total scammers that can be ignored only come back if you get a real court claim.
  • waamo
    waamo Posts: 10,298
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    If you want peace of mind you can contact Asda and ask them to cancel it. They may be resistant to this but if you apply enough pressure they sometimes will.

If you do contact Asda do not under any circumstances reveal who was driving.

Ignoring the junk paper is perfectly good too.
  • beamerguy
    beamerguy Posts: 17,587
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Bekaboo122 wrote: »
    I recieved a parking ticket from parking in Asda for too long...this was back in October 2016.

Recently I got a letter to remind me about it.

This was followed by another letter today which says notice of intended court action. Today's letter was dated the 9th of June but was only recieved today the 14th.

It says in the previous letter they told me about the Supreme Court ruling in November 2015 where the court ruled that the parking charge was lawful.

It also refers to a case in January 2017 of a £24.500 judgment made against someone.

I'm really confused by all of this, I was under the impression in Scotland private parking is not enforceable. But these threatening letters are starting to worry me.

They are also requesting me to pay £130 which I think is a bit costly for a parking ticket. They say I must pay by the 23rd which is less than 10 days away since I only recieved the letter today!?

Advice please?

Assume you are in Scotland ???

DRP continue to spout rubbish.

It is very doubtful that the Supreme Court case with Barry Beavis
    has anything to do with you.

He overstayed about an hour and claimed the £85 charge was
    unreasonable.

The £24k one in Dundee was won because the lady collected
    some 200 tickets and admitted being the driver.

Assuming you have not said who was driving, you can safely
    ignore the DRP rubbish.
    They will probably continue to send you junk mail until they
    give up and pass it back to the PPC. Who is the PPC?

NEVER EVER CONTACT DRP OR PAY THEM, THEY ARE TIMEWASTERS

Tell all your friends that the PPC needs to know who the driver is in
    Scotland. And if they do get a ticket and DRP start sending stupid
    letters ... TELL THEM TO IGNORE THE POWERLESS DRP

A good action is to go to the ASDA CEO with Asda receipts and a copy of the DRP threatening letter and as a customer demand
    the ticket is cancelled
  • I'm in the exact same boat Bekaboo122, had a second letter in today from DRP telling me about intended court action from a parking ticket at an Asda back in late 2016. From Scotland as well btw, so in the same boat.

I have no intention of paying it as all the advice given is that they won't worry about one parking ticket, particularly up here in Scotland. I'm sure if anything more comes of it you can just tell them you weren't the driver, and you aren't actually obligated to identify who was driving which would have them on to plums.

The charge for me now is also at £130, which is more than the BPA maximum charge of £100 in their guidelines, which you could also of course use as ammunition if anything more comes of it. I'll just be ignoring anything more that comes, unless by the small chance a civl court summons does actually come through, but that's extremely unlikely.

Will keep posted if anything more comes through.
  • pogofish
    pogofish Posts: 10,852
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    hamilton10 wrote: »
    I'm in the exact same boat Bekaboo122,

You also clearly agreed not to hijack threads! :mad:
  • beamerguy
    Forumite
    I'm in the exact same boat Bekaboo122, had a second letter in today from DRP telling me about intended court action from a parking ticket at an Asda back in late 2016. From Scotland as well btw, so in the same boat.

I have no intention of paying it as all the advice given is that they won't worry about one parking ticket, particularly up here in Scotland. I'm sure if anything more comes of it you can just tell them you weren't the driver, and you aren't actually obligated to identify who was driving which would have them on to plums.

The charge for me now is also at £130, which is more than the BPA maximum charge of £100 in their guidelines, which you could also of course use as ammunition if anything more comes of it. I'll just be ignoring anything more that comes, unless by the small chance a civl court summons does actually come through, but that's extremely unlikely.

Will keep posted if anything more comes through.

Don't forget the down and outs, DRP, add on their little bounty

AS SAID .... DRP ARE USELESS AND POWERLESS .... IGNORE
  • pogofish wrote: »
    You also clearly agreed not to hijack threads! :mad:

How am I hijacking it? I'm in an almost identical situation to the person that posted about the threat, so I'm contributing to her plight by offering my scenario in the off chance we can relate about it and help each other.
  • waamo
    waamo Posts: 10,298
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    How am I hijacking it? I'm in an almost identical situation to the person that posted about the threat, so I'm contributing to her plight by offering my scenario in the off chance we can relate about it and help each other.

It is far better to stick to one case one thread. Whilst superficially your cases are the same sometimes thing pan out differently.

Every case has the potential to turn into a court case even in Scotland. Just occasionally a ppc goes mad and tries court in Scotland.

Having several people chipping in with their own case could, in those circumstances, become confusing and lead to the wrong advice being picked up.

This could cause 6 years of misery for a poster. Posters have had threads descend into chaos due to this. Picking up the pieces isn't fun.
  • beamerguy
    Forumite

This thread belongs to Bekaboo122, hence you have hijacked the OP's thread.

Please start your own thread for help
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport