Compromised Tesco Bank Credit Card SMS

I got a legitimate text message from TescoBank last night, however they're not being very cooperative on the details of it all.

This is the message I received:
We have been notified that your credit card could have been compromised and as a precautionary measure we will be sending you a new credit card. This will arrive in 7 - 10 calendar days. You will not be able to use your account until you receive your new card. Unfortunately we are unable to provide clarity on where the card may have been compromised but please be assured that we take customer security seriously and will always take the most appropriate action to protect your account. We do apologise for any inconvenience that may be caused.

All they'll tell me is this
We can't confirm any further information I'm afraid and we are following an industry wide fraud protection measure to ensure your account is kept secure. We won't be able to provide any specifics on what has triggered this, however, rest assured we are acting in your best interest to keep the account protected. I apologise for any inconvenience this has caused, the new card has already been ordered and will be with you in the next 7-10 working days

I've seen a few other people mention it on Twitter, but I wonder how widespread it is, would be good to know if it's something I've done (there's no suspicious transactions on my account), something they've done, or something MasterCard have done!

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    There's been a few reports on this board.

They won't tell you more, so don't let it worry you.
  • indie1982
    indie1982 Posts: 7 Forumite
    They won't tell you more, so don't let it worry you.

I wasn't really worried as such, just interested, maybe concerned with the lack of transparency to the customer and how wide spread this instance is.
  • TheShape
    TheShape Posts: 1,777
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    To tell you where/when/how your card details were/could have been compromised could further compromise card security or compromise a fraud investigation. Tesco won't tell you any more just as Nationwide wouldn't elaborate when they replaced my card last year for the same reason.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure