Ebid vs Ebay

Comments

• patman99
    patman99 Posts: 8,532 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic First Post
    Ebay are about to loose one of their biggest money-spinners, due to the amount of click-fraud eminating from Ebay, Google are carrying-out a full investigation which will almost certainly see Ebay's adsense account suspended.
    What with falling revenue & share prices in free-fall, Ebay is only surviving by increasing fees, and, according to 'Powersellersunite', they are loosing $78m/day from their yet-to-be-completed sale of Skype. This is due to infringement of copyright issues between the original founders of the technology behind Skype and Ebay.

Despite this, Ebays' lited items count is still 31.8M, despite a rather rocky month that has seen more dips than is healthy for a company the size of Ebay.

Looking at Ebids' charts, their LIC is continuously on th up, but still only stands at 2.5M.
    Never Knowingly Understood.

Member #1 of £1,000 challenge - £13.74/ £1000 (that's 1.374%)

3-6 month EF £0/£3600 (that's 0 days worth)

• RFW
    RFW Posts: 10,014 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    patman99 wrote: »

Looking at Ebids' charts, their LIC is continuously on th up, but still only stands at 2.5M.
    Can't see that listed item counts mean that much, its surely sales and traffic. The easiest to identify is traffic, in the UK alone Ebid's web traffic is at 1% of Ebay's.

How did your complaint with the Competitions commission go? I never heard any news that they found against Ebay.
  • cyberbob
    cyberbob Posts: 9,480 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    according to 'Powersellersunite', they are loosing $78m/day from their yet-to-be-completed sale of Skype. This is due to infringement of copyright issues between the original founders of the technology behind Skype and Ebay.

Not the most reliable source and a place with its own agenda
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,186 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 19 September 2009 at 9:07AM

Listings are meaningless especially as ebid have free listings so you get the same issues that you get when ebay have a free listing day..and every bit of junk everywhere is listed. At some periods of time for instance I had as much listed on ebid as I did on ebay, the difference being that my ebay stock sold, the ebid stuff never did.

It is also interesting to note the tone of the discussions on the ebid forums. Yes there are still the gung ho posts but more and more people are being realistic and saying that this is a sideline, they do not expect to sell in any quantity. The 'big' users that used to be very active on the boards have all but gone, there are some names now that I have not seen for months.

They also still have the issue of the 'hi I've been banned on ebay and so thought I ought to give ebid a go' posts..and frankly I think they do ebid a disservice.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • patman99
    patman99 Posts: 8,532 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic First Post
    Most of the 'I've been banned' people find themselves quickly added to other peoples blocked lists, after all, who wants to deal with those banned for ripping people off.

As for the 'list every peice of junk because it is a free listing day', that only occurs on Ebay, As Ebid is free to list anyway, there is nothing to save.

There are a lot of Ebayers who also list on Ebid (myself included), in almost every case, I can pick the same item up from the same seller 10% cheaper on Ebid.
    They both have one thing in common though, until you have sold/bought more than 20 items, people are still hesitant to bid on your items.
    Never Knowingly Understood.

Member #1 of £1,000 challenge - £13.74/ £1000 (that's 1.374%)

3-6 month EF £0/£3600 (that's 0 days worth)

• HTML200
    HTML200 Posts: 164 Forumite
    I've never heard of Ebid until now. Ebay does need some competition - with low price items it can be very difficult to make a profit after P&P, listing fees, final value fees, paypal fees...

Age old problem of where the sellers are, that's where the buyers are, which is where the sellers are.

I had a quick look at Ebid. It does seem quite a lot quieter than Ebay, but the free listings could make it worthwhile. Are there any other auction sites worth looking at?
  • Free versus paid-for? I know what I'd use. Spread the word - Ebid is free.
  • Well, kind of. Depends how you list and at what level. Don't get too excited.
  • cyberbob
    cyberbob Posts: 9,480 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    ihatebt wrote: »
    Free versus paid-for? I know what I'd use. Spread the word - Ebid is free.

Free isn't everything. If you don't make any profit or have no customers the fact that its free will lose you money.
  • RFW
    RFW Posts: 10,014 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    HTML200 wrote: »
    I've never heard of Ebid until now.
    That about says it all. They don't appear to have any site promotion of any value, 9 years down the line and their unique selling point is "We are not Ebay".
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure