PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Other thread opened my eyes

Options
I have just read a thread 'don't like my kids' this has made me realise that I dislike my
Mother, she always seems to make more of an effort with my 2 brothers children and grandchildren yet my brother's don't visit. It may seem as though I'm only thinking of money
But when she buys mine a present its usually second hand or if new either cheap and or unsuitable for there ages. The others get the most beautiful gifts or money.
I visit every week, can only manage 2-3 hours. When I'm there she is not interested in anything I do or she criticizes what I say. Never visits my house asked her to come for Xmas dinner and turned me down. Funny enough she loves my husband. And the number of friends she has is unbelievable.
I had a very difficult relationship with my late dad. She stood by and watched a lot of unpleasant
Events happen.
She is now ill and it's me that is the running around no sign of brothers or even their wifes taking her to the hospital.
I will carry on going I don't know why but feel as though I should.
My husband the love of my life thinks that I should stop seeing her as we don't need her negativety in our lives. He says I'm too soft hearted.
Sorry for the rant but this was my lightbulb moment.
I know families are all different.
PS I get on so well with my brothers and families. They don't like her either so that's why they don't visit.
This post I'm sure is a rambling mix up but don't want to start again or might not repost.
Thanks for reading

Comments

• Nicki
    Nicki Posts: 8,166 Forumite
    Options
    I can relate to all that.

One of the posts on the other thread is from a woman who said if her adopted child's birth mother had turned up to reclaim him she'd have handed him over like a shot. I'm adopted and if my birth mother had ever turned up for me, you wouldn't have seen me for dust. My adopted mother's biological children are much favoured as are their children whereas me and mine are treated as barely more than strangers though simultaneously berated for not visiting more often. Last time I invited her to visit me, she said it was too much bother, and last time I visited her she went out with her friends or had them round to visit her at the house for every minute of our stay.
  • LameWolf
    LameWolf Posts: 11,234 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Litchielou big (((HUGS))) hun. I am estranged from my entire family because they are a totally toxic mix which was destroying me. I suffered significant abuse from my father for 10 solid years, and when I tried to tell my mother, she called me a liar.
    I don't need this kind of !!!!!! in my life.
    This all started 50 years ago and I still have nightmares about it.

Hey. look, friends are the family you choose for yourself. As I said on the other thread, it's not compulsory to like someone just because you're related to them.

Thank you for having the courage to post. x
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.;)
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    :( I think this kind of favouritism within families is more common than most of us know, but it's incredibly damaging and hurtful.

One woman I know had a difficult mother who had the mindset that her son was perfect and her daughter was no good. Despite the son being a rare visitor, not doing anything to help her out, and the daughter being the exact opposite.

One weekend the daughter, and a female friend, spent two back-breaking days landscaping Mother's garden. I'm talking really heavy work, moving earth, building walls etc. Brother turned up for about an hour towards the end and mowed the lawn.

Son, Daughter and Friend are resting that evening when a friend of the mother's calls in. Mother starts telling her excitedly about all the hard work her son had done over the weekend, the walls he'd built, etc etc.

The Friend was incredulous, interrupted that Brother hadn't done any of that work, she and Daughter had. It went in one ear and out the other; Mother was stuck in a narrative that her son was perfect and her daughter useless, and bent the facts to fit her version of reality.

You can't win in these situations and there isn't any 'right' answer, there is only shades of unsatisfactoriness whatever you chose to do. Your children may not be old enough yet to notice that they're treated less favourably than their cousins, but that will probably happen before much longer. When they're older still, probably by their mid-teens, they'll start noticing that Grandma treats you like a doormat, too.

Which will be painful for them as well as for you.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • Litchielou
    Options
    Thanks for the messages, Grey Queen I am 56 my children are in their 30s and have 5 grandchildren aged from 8 to 12 they all laugh at any presents etc but I get embarrassed at the pittence they receive. They only visit once a year and tell me to do the same (I can't and don't know why).
    On Xmas day all my grandchildren opened her presents last as they know it's a joke, knowing when they see their cousins the next day the difference.
    So pleased they laugh and say let's guess what naff presents this year it's become our family joke.
    I know what everyone means about how she talks about me or my brothers to her friends.
    I took her the hospital last week we get back to her house and her sister came around (lovely lady wish she had been my mum) and all she talked about was how my eldest brother phoned to find out how she had gone on and how my youngest brother was phoning later (he didn't).
    Me and my husband are taking early retirement soon and he's told me NOT to go any more than I do know.
    I don't think I will ever be good enough old enough to know better.
    Would never treat any of mine like that even my DIL and SIL are treated like my own children.
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Litchielou wrote: »
    I don't think I will ever be good enough old enough to know better.
    Would never treat any of mine like that even my DIL and SIL are treated like my own children.
    ((((Hunnn)))) you are more than 'good enough', you sound like a fantastic daughter, loving wife, mother and grand-mother. The fault's on her side, not yours, please don't beat yourself up over what can't be helped - her character.

I'd be tempted to go with the advice of your DH and adult children and visit once a year; after all, your brothers are her children, too, and they can take their turn. It's not a given that a daughter has to be running around after her mother the whole time, especially when the mother clearly thinks a lot more of her sons.

I'm sure she'll value spending more time with them, such as on hospital visits.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • Litchielou
    Options
    I feel as though the flood gates are now open my DIL was fostered all her life and came to live with us at 17 after meeting my Son (they have since married and have 2 fantastic children) long story of how and why she came to us. She became our extra daughter. But of course my mother always gives her cast of presents and never calls her by her name it's always sons wife. My SIL brought 3 children from is first marriage in to our family and lifes she ignores these.
    Reading this I feel stupid for still seeing her. I feel as though I should visit but I don't love, one day I might be stronge enough but don't like upsetting anyone.
  • POPPYOSCAR
    POPPYOSCAR Posts: 14,897 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I am sorry if this seems harsh OP but you are enabling her bad behaviour.

Why you continue to be so good to her is beyond me as it does not seem to be doing you any favours.

Have you ever told her how you feel?
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Having read both threads I am starting to realise that I wouldn't swap my parents - with all their faults! - for the world. I love them dearly but would have raised children differently.

I like to think I've been a good daughter but lately I have had to rely on them a great deal.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • sitesafe
    sitesafe Posts: 544 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi Litchielou

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2540985/Why-men-expect-sisters-caring-elderly-parents-Claudia-two-brothers-But-mum-fell-ill-soon-clear-whod-carry-burden.html

Please read this article which I read a couple of years ago and have always remembered. Sometimes it's good to know others appreciate your situation. It is SO common - the woman that maybe never got on with Mum does all the running around when Mum gets ill and the favoured sons (many with wives and children who could also help) stick their head in the sand and get on with life (I'm not saying ALL of them do but it is really pretty common).

I read your post and can so relate to it. I also a have best friend who is in the same boat - she never really got on with her Mum and said her Mum always favoured the 3 sons. Now Mum is ill with Dementia my friend is doing all the running around - she is a single older woman but has responsibilities, yet her brothers are all married with families but as they don't live local it's like they expect my friend to do all the leg work and they just turn up a few times a year for the day and all she can do is crow about how wonderful her boys are.
    My situ is my Mum is in a home. We never got on but I made an effort when she went into care. Quite recently the home gave notice it was closing down so myself and my older Brother were at our wits end trying to source a suitable place within the right budget. We were on the phone daily to care homes and social worker and it took us well over a month to finally find something which we half heartedly accepted because it was a matter of days before the home closed down. Our younger Brother made no input whatsoever other than the odd sentence email in response to ours where he said thanks for what you are doing. But when asked for some input/suggested that he ring around a few homs, there was no response. Yet he was the one that she tended to favour probably as he was the youngest. My other Brother and I were completely stressed by it all as Mum had to be out the week before Xmas and we both live hours away from her.
    It must be upsetting inside to know that your Mum blatantly acts so disrespectfully towards you and your family. I am pleased you have a great relationship with them though. Don't make yourself ill visiting because you feel you should 2-3 hours a week is a long time to spend with someone that can be difficult with you. :A
  • sitesafe
    sitesafe Posts: 544 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Litchielou wrote: »
    I feel as though the flood gates are now open my DIL was fostered all her life and came to live with us at 17 after meeting my Son (they have since married and have 2 fantastic children) long story of how and why she came to us. She became our extra daughter. But of course my mother always gives her cast of presents and never calls her by her name it's always sons wife. My SIL brought 3 children from is first marriage in to our family and lifes she ignores these.
    Reading this I feel stupid for still seeing her. I feel as though I should visit but I don't love, one day I might be stronge enough but don't like upsetting anyone.
    I don't want to sound like one of those patronising people but maybe some counselling might help you understand why you do what you do. I had some once and it was good for making me realise why I react the way I do.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure