The Road to Financial Security

Comments

• Pushkin
    Pushkin Posts: 795 Forumite
    edited 5 June 2015 at 8:08PM
    :rotfl:Yes I too quite enjoy designing new spreadsheets although that might be over stating it given I am totally self taught with excel. I just wish I could create one with longevity which doesn't get messed up when I close or open bank accounts. Maybe I should do some sort of finance course or accounting :rotfl:

So glad weekend is here, work has been really manic and stressful this week, urgent project dumped on me on Monday and still have emails from when I was off as I've spent all week on the new stuff :mad:

Still weekend is here, will catch up on sleep and start again with my attempt at a positive mental attitude next week.
  • Pushkin
    I'm actually a little peeved that the weather is so lovely, due to being mid transformation our garden is totally unusable right now - patio is rubble and stones and there is no grass left, so I am looking longingly at it from inside the house, poor dog is very unsettled as she loves lying on the grass. Can't even hang washing out as the line had to be taken down so have had to use the tumble dryer :eek:

More spending this weekend (from house fund) have ordered a barbecue and a garden shed - both on the internet and I managed to do the bbq through a cash back site. I sure hope next weekend's weather is good so we can have our first bbq while sitting in the garden. :cool:

Having a hard time in the current account this month and I've had to pay for a couple of bits on my cc- this is a vicious circle as my cc bill will be higher next month leaving me short again. Need to take a hard look at income/savings etc and probably adjust the amount saved downwards. Keep repeating that this is due to increasing DH's pension so it's just saving the money elsewhere so it's ok. I just feel a bit like I'm failing by saving less.

Boys are out today so I have taken the opportunity to do a few hours work to catch up ready for next week. Don't like doing on principal really but I feel it will help keep stress levels down next week as I am now more on top of my email and better prepared (or less behind!) for the week ahead.
  • ourcornercottage
    ourcornercottage Posts: 1,526 Forumite
    Could you put a clothes horse outside in your garden, I've done that before I just peg the clothes on it and put them outside
  • Pushkin
    Hi Corner Cottage - thanks for stopping by. If you saw our garden currently you wouldn't suggest that- lots of soil and rubble so very dusty, I suspect any washing hung out would end up filthy! Still should all be finished and beautiful by next weekend !
  • amycool
    amycool Posts: 866 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I did a GCSE in IT back when Microsoft Excel had just about reached my school so my spreadsheets are fairly basic and cobbled together. I just like to be able to look back and see where we've spent our money so no need for fancy formulae.

I shall hope for good weather for you for next weekend! It reminds me that now we have a gate we might actually be able to sit in ours next weekend when my nephew stays. I'm really bad at just sitting and relaxing - I always feel like I should be weeding or pruning! Plus our neighbours are both...chatty. :D
    Mortgage (Start Sep 2014)- £70,295/£0 - 100%
    Overpayments - £48829.37 :j:j:j
    Mortgage paid off Jan 2020
  • Pushkin
    Ooh AmyCool - GCSE IT makes me feel very very old - that didn't exist when I did my O Levels (yes they were still around back when I was at school!). I did typing lessons on an electric type writer and that was considered very modern and snazzy!
  • Pushkin
    edited 10 June 2015 at 6:16PM
    Well this week is turning out to be just as rough as last week if not worse, I just hope this isn't a sign of things to come with regards to the new job I have started. On the positive side the time is flying by each day, on the negative comfort eating (the old monkey on my back) has reared its ugly head again - get stressed will eat - not good.

Major accident today in that i dropped my 1phone down the toilet :mad:. Googled what to do and its now surrounded by rice in a sealed bag. Supposed to leave for 24 to 48 hours so I just hope by some miracle it's ok - I've only had it since Christmas.

Car had its MOT today - only one fault which was to replace a light bulb so am pretty happy with that.

Dishwasher seems to be getting worse by the day - DH is lobbying hard for a new one and has been for a while but it really has been useless this week so we may end up getting one. He has selected one at £700 - think we should pay less than that?!!
  • cookie9
    cookie9 Posts: 764 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hope the rice trick works!
    MFW 91 op 2014 £410/1000
    MFW 91 op 2015 £4051/4000
    MFW 91 op 2016 £4040/4000
    MFW 91 op 2017 £812/4500
  • Pushkin
    Hi Cookie - it's not looking good re the 1phone - screen indicated to plug into 1tunes which I did and it advised factory restore needed - then crashed out with an 'unknown' error. We've left it charging and will do so overnight but I'm not holding out much hope. Next step is to check insurance policy/contact provider to see if it's covered - not holding out much hope there either.

I know this is totally against all MSE activities and will likely horrify many on here but if it is bust I will be buying a new one Saturday - I just love it so much and have really missed it even though its only a day since it happened! Thinking I could cash in my £200 from my money making account to put towards it.... hope everyone doesn't hate me!

To top things off just picked my glasses up and the arm fell off, it never rains but it pours......
  • cookie9
    cookie9 Posts: 764 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Fingers crossed charging helps. Phone is quite essential and if you have a good one then no need to get a digital camera as it will take good photos. No need for sat nav either so not that bad an expense in my opinion. Yes I am very MSe when it comes to phones.
    MFW 91 op 2014 £410/1000
    MFW 91 op 2015 £4051/4000
    MFW 91 op 2016 £4040/4000
    MFW 91 op 2017 £812/4500
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business