The Road to Financial Security

Options

Comments

• Pushkin
    Pushkin Posts: 795 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks Bookworm - just writing it down helps. In some ways the complexity of the process in the UK means it prolongs the uncertainty (doubtless a few restless nights coming up) - the US may be more barbaric but at least its quick there!
  • Pushkin
    Options
    Made it through the week and actually feel more positive about the thought of VR than I did at a few days ago - maybe a good sign.

Haven't heard anything from the company since the call, sent a passive aggressive, stroppy note to the person managing this and copied in HR. Likely won't change anything but made me feel better.

One of the other errors that was made was that instead of blind copying the in scope staff on the call they were merely copied - i.e. visible to everyone. One of those names is a colleague in my team who is on long term sick due to cancer. I thought she should know so rang and told her about this.

She got in touch with her HR rep- it got escalated and she has received a grovelling apology from the company - apparently under our company's policy staff on long term sick are not at risk of redundancy so she should never have been in scope in the first place.

Given how many staff have been made redundant over the past few years it's stunning how incompetent they are :cool:

Up early today for a hair cut and once DS finishes drama we are driving over to Kent to see friends.

DH has booked the dog in for a pamper session this morning - this includes something called a blueberry facial ?! Not sure I approve of labs having pamper sessions anyway but now she is having beauty treatments I have never had!
  • Pushkin
    Options
    Very welcome lie in today- poor dog still hasn't been out yet.

One of the biggest worries I have with redundancy is that I won't be paying into my pension until I get a new job and under my plan that may not be for about a year as I plan to do some temping.

It's a shame that my parents are on holiday - I could do with speaking to my father - aka my financial advisor!

My pension is better than DH's and I do worry about the impact of missing payments for a year and if I get another job and its lower paid than my current one (highly likely) then future payments will be lower.

Sorry for the redundancy ramblings - just got so much swirling round my head.

Usual household chores on the list for day, very dull but am always pretty content mooching round the house. Certainly cheaper than going out anywhere.
  • gallygirl
    gallygirl Posts: 17,228 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Pushkin wrote: »
    One of the biggest worries I have with redundancy is that I won't be paying into my pension until I get a new job and under my plan that may not be for about a year as I plan to do some temping.

It's a shame that my parents are on holiday - I could do with speaking to my father - aka my financial advisor!

My pension is better than DH's and I do worry about the impact of missing payments for a year and if I get another job and its lower paid than my current one (highly likely) then future payments will be lower.

No reason you can't pay into a personal pension while you're temping - even if you don't work at all in the tax year you can pay £2,880 in. Good to be thinking about it so early :T.
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort
    :) Mortgage Balance = £0 :)
    "Do what others won't early in life so you can do what others can't later in life"
  • katiegizmo
    Options
    Sorry to hear your news Pushkin but it has been hanging over your head for so long it may give you some relief to actually be moving forward!
    MFW 2015 so far..... £1808.70
    :) 2014 - £1451 2013 - £1600 2012 - £4145 2011 - £5715 2010 - £3258:)
    Big new mortgage from 2017 :shocked:

• Pushkin
    Options
    Thanks for the comments Gallygirl and Katie Gizmo, I think you are both right and leaving this job will be a good thing - doesn't stop me being scared to death though.

My son is nearly 15, I can't imagine my life without him as he's such a big part of it - I've been at this company for 19 years so leaving will be a huge change. Not that I love the company like a child - just the easiest way I can phrase it.

All that said - not a peep from the 'transformation team' since the initial call on Monday 3rd, I sent my chase email Friday pm, no response. I know 2 people that missed the call as they were on leave, both of them have contacted the manager and not heard anything. It's a master class in how not to do redundancy I think or maybe some kind of Carry on Film...
  • Moneyfordreams
    Options
    I felt like my arm had been chopped off ;) when I left the organisation were I had trained and spent 20 years. I've had a few jobs in last 7 years... time heals :D:D feel a touch of the nomad still, as left a 5 year post to only stay one year in the next. Hopefully this job is a keeper as keeper :D

good luck with your plans, I hope they all go smoothly for you
    Mortgage restart June 2018 £119950Re mortgage August 19 £110470, … Mortgage November 22 £85600 final 0% CC 3300Home renovations - £65000, mid 2018 - mid 2022
  • amycool
    amycool Posts: 866 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    From what you've said, VR sounds like the best option but I know it must feel terrifying. At least this way you have more time to start looking for work and planning. It's not like you're completely unskilled and starting from scratch, you have 20 years of experience, which counts for a lot. Just trust in your own abilities and skills.

I hope you hear more soon - your company sounds pretty inept!
    Mortgage (Start Sep 2014)- £70,295/£0 - 100%
    Overpayments - £48829.37 :j:j:j
    Mortgage paid off Jan 2020
  • Pushkin
    edited 15 October 2016 at 5:17PM
    Options
    No news on any front really - my life sounds really boring!

Had a bit of a rant about the poor communication around the redundancy thing on our management call on Wednesday & made my feelings very clear to my boss. Have decided to just roll with the flow on this and not chase things up as it just upsets me.

DH thinks any redundancy amount they offer me is negotiable - I'm not so sure and I'm rubbish at that kind of thing anyway but we'll see. I've worked out what I think my £ entitlement is and I reckon if being careful it could last a year.

That is not stopping me feeling like we should be cutting back financially already - DH suggested a take away tonight and I really snapped at him then backtracked and apologised.

Ironically I then did the C0stc0 shop alone and spent over £200 :eek:

So suffice to say subconsciously I may be battling a few conflicting emotions over all this losing my job stuff ....
  • Pushkin
    Options
    Really wet dog walk this morning - my shoes are a bit leaky and it reminded me I need new wellies.

Up to Heathrow at lunchtime to collect my parents who are flying back from their holiday. Love going to airports - really weird hobby huh!

We are going to have a what we call a 'trolley tea' tonight - fresh bread, lots of toppings and nibbles all laid out and you help yourself. When I was a kid this used to be put on a trolley and wheeled into the lounge - hence the name.

One of the nicest things about winter is a trolley tea :D

Housework has been sadly lacking this weekend I am turning into a terrible slob I think.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure