How do holiday companies get away with no refunds?

So I just requested to cancel my holiday, I didn't want to but the person I was going with wanted to so I said I would find out how much it would cost. I'm not naïve, I knew there would be admin fees and as a guide on the website it did state that the flights were not refundable and there would be an admin fee.

They have now emailed me to advise that if I go ahead with the cancellation not only are the flights non refundable, the private transfer we booked is also non-refundable. How do they get away with this? Its not a last minute cancellation, its over 2 months away, how does an airline and a taxi firm justify not giving a refund when they are both likely to resell my space anyway?

I understand that if it was a last minute cancellation the companies involved would potentially lose money through no fault of their own, but they have ample time to fill my seat again. The Hotel is not even charging a cancellation fee, if I booked a seat at the cinema or a restaurant and then cancelled months in advance, they would not refuse me a refund for a service that I will not be receiving.

How are there not laws to protect against this?

Comments

• gardner1
    gardner1 Posts: 3,154 Forumite
    What did it say in t&cs when you booked.......always a danger when booking includes a friend or group booking
  • Skiff85
    Skiff85 Posts: 19 Forumite
    Well easyjet gives refunds within 48 hours of booking so I assume the terms and conditions state as much, which I am not refuting. I know I'm not going to get that money back, I'm just curious why there is nothing preventing them from doing this.

I want to know is how they can get away with charging you for a service which they know they we are not having. I mean, if I booked a flight 2 years in advance and and cancelled with a year and a half to go, "our terms and conditions state there are no refunds" is not really a valid argument, especially considering its not a physical product and they have ample time to rebook the seat.
  • Carrot007
    Carrot007 Posts: 4,534 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Presumably to avoid people booking lot's of holiday's they probably can't afford and won't go on they can cancel at the last minute. (2 months is pretty last minute in holidays).

I'm sure if you could provide evidence of a good reason they would refund. And petty disagreements are not a good reason.

This is why you take out insurance. Though change of mind insurance would also be ridiculously high.
  • jpsartre
    jpsartre Posts: 4,085 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Skiff85 wrote: »
    How are there not laws to protect against this?

Protect against what? You booked the cheapest option and agreed to the T&C, you've received exactly the product you purchased. I don't get why there should be a law against this. Flexible products are often available to those who want it and are willing to pay the extra cost.
  • You can have a cancellable hotel or flight, but it usually won't be the budget one. The airline / hotels charge more for the flexibility, as a trade off.
    It allows them to manage rooms, space and staff in advance, as have a closer idea on numbers upfront.
  • bagand96
    bagand96 Posts: 6,101 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Its mainly because airline pricing is very complex and prices can vary daily, or even more often than that If they worked on a flat fare basis then you may have a point, but they don't. As another poster said, fully flexible and even refundable fares are available but they would have cost many times what you paid.

Anything you can do to mitigate your losses? Find someone else to go with you? Go on your own?

Unfortunately you agreed to the T&Cs when booking - and that applied to all in your party. Probably not your fault you've been let down by your friend , but it doesn't change the fact.
  • budgetflyer
    budgetflyer Posts: 5,949 Forumite
    Lastminute. Com offer change your mind insurance
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills