Whats the most economically way of using oil heating?

We've rented several house now, all with all heating yet we seem to go through it quite quickly. We always get the boilers serviced once per year so its not an issue with the boiler.

For example, we got 500 litres of oil start of November, it's now done. The way we use out heat is it comes on 30 mins in the morning and at night 1hr, now maybe at the weekends etc would also be on during the day. I'm all for these 1 hour boosts, it never really runs longer than 1 hr at a time. My thermostat is set fairly high at around 25-30c. Once the heat goes off however within 15 mins the radiators are cold to the touch, you wouldn't even think the heat was on.

If I look at my in-laws, they are elderly and don't work so the heat is on the best part of the day continuously, 900 litres of oil will last them all year,

500 litres should last longer than 2.5 months. Any advice on what we are doing wrong? I should say its a condensing boiler which are supposed to be great.

Comments

• G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 21 January 2018 at 11:57PM
    It's not that excessive. I use about 2000 litres a year but don't use the boiler between around March/april tll Oct depending on weather.

Large house, heating on all day though.

Using the boiler 2ce a day will, of course, use less oil than all day.

You have the stat set very high, so when the heating comes on the boiler will have to work non-stop to get up to temperature. Only 1 hour in the evening? I bet you use that 1 hour boost a lot! Why not set it lower, but for longer?

Yes, once the boiler goes off, hot water stops circulating, so the rads will cool down fast. Again, keeping the heating on lnger, at a lower temp setting, will maintain a more comfortable environment than trying to blast the heat out for an hour and then feel it cool down.

Of course a lot depends also on size, age, and condition of property. what it's constructed from, what the insulation is like. Also whether the boiiler is heating water (baths etc) and how much water.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure