Do you go for a reduced mortgage term OR pay more off the mortgage we have????

Hello, wonder if anyone has any suggestions on what is best. We're in a position where we can pay quite a good amount back on our mortgage per month, but when we come to renew the mortgage next Jan do we just opt to reduce the number of years or do we carry on paying overpayments as we are now?

HELP!!!! :confused:
I am a Travel Agent

I work for Thomas Cook Group of Companies. My companies ATOL/ABTA numbers are J9500. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Travel Agent, so you need to take my word for it but Atol numbers can be checked on the Civil Aviation Authority website. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Travel Agent Code of Conduct.

Comments

• annmatkat
    annmatkat Posts: 22 Forumite
    In a similar position I might do half and half, because overpayments can more easily be got back if I needed the money, or can be stopped and restarted as required. It depends on what other savings you have if you might want to consider this. Nice dilemma tho!!
  • regularsaver1
    regularsaver1 Posts: 4,930 Forumite
    I agree with annmatkatr - easier to overpay as its flexible and can be changed

a lot harder to change term back should you need to

unless you want it in writing what your term will be, the flexible way can help
  • any idea which is more financially rewarding, or would it make any difference?
    I am a Travel Agent

I work for Thomas Cook Group of Companies. My companies ATOL/ABTA numbers are J9500. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Travel Agent, so you need to take my word for it but Atol numbers can be checked on the Civil Aviation Authority website. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Travel Agent Code of Conduct.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure