Updated Cheap Car Insurance guide - new system

Comments

• schiff
    schiff Posts: 20,099 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I'm with Hastings who gave me a staggeringly good price of £236 last year for a Range Rover Auto Sport. 5 star Defacto as well. It seemed too good to be true and sure enough when the renewal notice came last week it had gone up to £336 (still good compared to what the sites could offer) - a 55% increase for no apparent reason. I'm retired, do 7k miles per year and haven't ever claimed. I rang and eventually they came back with £306 which I've taken. There is no logic or reasoning to premium prices SO NEVER EVER AUTO RENEW.

Our facts and figures coincide almost exactly!

The retired are broadcast as being a lot better off than most, so they have probably concentrated their big increases where the money is!
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Just got my renewal notice, and my premium has increased by around £10. Not a big surprise, as I've moved and the new area has (very slightly!) higher crime rates reported than the old area. I've had the same insurance provider for 4 years, and every year my renewal amount has been significantly higher than the amount I'm quoted online. Every year I've called them, and they've matched the online quote.

So it was a big surprise this year when I went onto the comparison websites and found that the cheapest online quote I could find was double my renewal premium. Not quite sure why the online quotes are so much higher this year, but I'm hoping it means my insurer has decided to reward loyalty for once! Will still check next year, of course :)
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,955 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    How do you clear cookies?

Depends on which browser you use, but it's generally in your settings somewhere.

Try googling how to delete cookies in IE/ chrome/ firefox or whatever you use.

If that doesn't work for you then just use a different browser.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • andybrock
    andybrock Posts: 146 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    How do you clear cookies?

Use this:

http://www.cybertronsoft.com/products/privacy-eraser/

:cool::cool:
  • SpreadPyar
    SpreadPyar Posts: 238 Forumite
    edited 17 February 2018 at 12:18PM
    Could some one please help me here,

My current insurance is up for renewal on 20th Feb and is on auto renewal from Debenhams, I have found my insurance on GoCompare is £115 lower. Plus I want to chance the £45 Cash back with GoCompare if I go via Quidco. Even if it doesn't track the CB I will be £115 better off.

I don't want to call them because even if they agree to the comparison price and lower their current quote I might loose out out on the CB.

My dilemma
    Shall I cancel 1st then renew
    or
    Shall I renew 1st then cancel the auto renewal.

****GOOD News****
    Phoned Debs who not only dropped the quote they gave(£565) to price on GoCompare but also agreed to drop £25 the TCB's £25 they were going to pay us. Guess they saved twice on commission

So ended up paying £386 a diff of £180'sh

One quote I learned in this country(UK)
    'You don't get what you don't ask'

So don't be afraid to ask anything the worst they are going to say is a big fat No
    Extra info
    Also I found out after reading a post that the price of the car can affect the premium as well, so I dropped the price by £1k dropped the price of premium by £28.

The price I reduced it to was given on multiple comparison site to be near to £3k, but if I sold it privately would be near the £4k so I had been putting in £4k. Only a couple of months ago it was near the higher end of £4k.

So 2nd dilemma

What is the best price to put. Will I loose out in an event of an accident if I put in £3k and pay lower premium.

PS The car price is dictated by the market value and insurance company will not budge from that unless you can agree a value other than(of course higher than the MV) prior to starting the insurance.

Thanks in adv.
  • Good result today for my hubby. He got quoted a renewal for his insurance of £415 - actually a reduction of £45 from last year. He went on all the comparison sites and the only thing cheaper, was, ironically, the same company for a new customer at 369.44. He rang to ask them to do the same price as the new customer deal and they knocked another £25 quid off that price. Result!
  • jj-est
    jj-est Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 12 February 2018 at 11:51PM
    I took the MSE advice on car insurance this weekend.
    As Compare the Market is recommended I went to that site. It would be good if your advice included cost the purchaser has to pay for using comparison sites - Compare the Market took a £30 'introduction fee".
    The quote I settled on was with BeWiser - comprehensive insurance at £307 pa because it offered all the 'extra services' in one package without having to pay additional charges.
    This evening I got a phone call from the company asking me for an extra £203 because although I had clearly told them I had only one year's no claims bonus, according to the caller 'the comparison sites automatically discount on the no claims bonus's of the other vehicles at my home (my son's car and my partner's company car - on which I am named driver).
    I argued that I had clearly stated my one year no claims her response was that I could cancel the insurance for £1-30p but what about the £30 'introduction fee' - Two days insurance for £31.30 is a rip-off .
    I am still waiting for a supervisor from the insurance company to phone back but was told my insurance was reduced to 3rd party until I paid the extra. I feel duped : (
  • We've just gone through the Direct Line hoops, laboriously filling in an online form which wants us to state the value of our 3-year-old car --why? The insurer will only pay out, in the event of total loss, at the figure the insurer itself decides is the market value, not us -- and then gives us an idiotic "options" menu to check in regard to any accident we've had in the past 12 months.

Well, um, yeah. A vehicle collision did indeed occur. Except we weren't even there: our car was parked in a supermarket car park and when we returned from shopping, we discovered that some unknown berk had gouged one side of it with his / her vehicle, either getting into the adjacent space or exiting from it.

DirectLine gave us but one option in regard to this: we had to tick the box that said there'd been a no-blame accident caused by a third party and that recovery was still O/S.

What, one might ask, is O/S? Still outstanding?? But it'll ALWAYS be still outstanding. We have no idea who perpetrated the damage, nor does our existing insurer. As it was, we filed a claim under our comprehensive policy (with 6 years' NCD, according to our existing insurer's NCD calculations) and chucked in £200 excess towards the cost of repairing our car. (Incidentally, our existing insurer, Co-op, was absolutely. . . brilliant in handling this claim: very sympathetic, very supportive, and very, very quick in sorting everything out.)

Car park scrapes involving absolutely unknown third parties are a commonplace in the UK and DirectLine well knows that. Yet in allowing no way at all for a proposer to actually provide details, DirectLine hasn't a clue what the accident was nor why recovery isn't so much "O/S" as utterly impossible. We have, in effect, had to confirm that we have had an accident -- when we haven't: our car was hit when we weren't anywhere near it -- and to indicate that in some way or other, "recovery" of costs is still pending. What nonsense. If Direct:Line was remotely interested in developing accurate data on which to assess risk, it would do as other insurers do and ask for that information. But evidently, that's too much trouble.

We were drawn to DirectLine because of the way its current offer is highlighted in the MSE car insurance article: a £45 Amazon Gift Voucher. Yes, well . . . by some stunning coincidence, we've now established, from competitive quotes, that DirectLine's quote is -- you guessed it -- around £50 more than anyone else's. Including the renewal premium being sought by our existing insurer. Could it be that DirectLine is inflating its quotes by the amount it claims to be offering back to new policy holders? Perish the thought. . .
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Your claim was a "fault" claim (fault meaning your insurer had to pay out as damage caused by unidentified third party rather than "blame")

That claim must be disclosed to all other insurers you approach for quotes (you not being anywhere near the car at the time the damage was caused is irrelevant as far as having a loss/claim on your record to disclose)
  • Just renewed my car insurance. Saved 100 using comparison sights, and then oddly, another hundred taking my mum off the policy as a named driver. Successful morning.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback