Electoral register - can't opt out of open register

Hi,
I wasn't sure where this should go, but a quick google seems to show most threads about the electoral register appear here, so I hope it is OK.

For many years I have diligently opted out of the edit/open register everytime I've had to fill in a voter registration form.

However, I have just moved to a new house in a new council area, and have received a Household Enquiry Form. Neither the form, nor the online service (HouseholdResponse.com) provides the ability to opt-out of the open register.

Instead the form says:

"If you want to change 'included on the open register' status please contact your local electoral registration officer." (I've tried the phone number but only get an answerphone)

It seems that you are expected to submit your information (I understand the deadline is the end of the month), risk being put on the open register and then hope you can get the status changed before it is published (or end up on a marketing database for life).

I just wondered if anybody else had run into this issue, and whether you have had any luck dealing with it.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated

Comments

• nic_c
    nic_c Posts: 2,928 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Can you not write in, and include it with the form?
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,727 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Contact your local councillor?
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • Nick_C
    Nick_C Posts: 7,458 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    The household enquiry form is meant to be an annual check that the register is correct and there haven't been any changes.

You are meant to register individually on line. If you do this, you should be given the option to opt out of the public form. You must also complete the HEF though.
  • tenchy
    tenchy Posts: 486 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    No individual has any obligation whatsoever to fill in the HEF, despite the threats of fines included in the document. Your best bet under the circumstances you describe is to put the HEF in the bin. This will result in a canvasser turning up on your doorstep - in the fullness of time - at which point you explain the issues to him and require him to deal with it.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    tenchy wrote: »
    No individual has any obligation whatsoever to fill in the HEF, despite the threats of fines included in the document.

I cannot find anything anywhere which supports this claim. It is a criminal offence under the Electoral Registration and Administration Act 2013 not to respond to one.
  • Nick_C
    To quote from the Electoral Commission guidance;

"Penalty for failure to respond to a HEF or providing false information

By law a person who has received a HEF must provide the information
    that it requires to the ERO, but there is no requirement for the form itself to be
    returned.

This includes where there are changes to the information pre-printed
    on the HEF or new information is being provided.

There is a criminal penalty of a fine up to a maximum of £1,000 for failing
    to provide the information required by the HEF to the ERO.

The penalty for providing false information to an ERO is up to six months
    imprisonment, an unlimited fine in England and Wales or a fine of up to £5,000 in
    Scotland."
  • Nick_C
    Your best bet under the circumstances you describe is to put the HEF in the bin. This will result in a canvasser turning up on your doorstep - in the fullness of time - at which point you explain the issues to him and require him to deal with it.

No. Their best bet is to go on line and register, and fill in and return the HEF.

Unless OP shares your perverse interest in wasting taxpayers' money.
  • tenchy
    tenchy Posts: 486 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Nick_C wrote: »
    To quote from the Electoral Commission guidance;

"Penalty for failure to respond to a HEF or providing false information

By law a person who has received a HEF must provide the information
    that it requires to the ERO, but there is no requirement for the form itself to be
    returned.

This includes where there are changes to the information pre-printed
    on the HEF or new information is being provided.

There is a criminal penalty of a fine up to a maximum of £1,000 for failing
    to provide the information required by the HEF to the ERO.

The penalty for providing false information to an ERO is up to six months
    imprisonment, an unlimited fine in England and Wales or a fine of up to £5,000 in
    Scotland."

But they speak garbage! To whom is the form addressed? "The Occupier". They are not addressed to named individuals, so how can any individual be held liable? I challenged the Electoral Commission about this and they simply said "It's up to the local council, but we hope all households will respond". In other words, they don't know - no surprise there.

The OP seems not to be able to opt out online. Given that accidentally being placed on the open register is something that should be avoided at all costs, it makes sense for him to speak to the canvasser about it.
  • Nick_C
    edited 1 December 2017 at 2:46PM
    The OP seems not to be able to opt out online. Given that accidentally being placed on the open register is something that should be avoided at all costs, it makes sense for him to speak to the canvasser about it.

You are wrong.

It sounds as if OP has not tried to register on line. He has tried to fill in the HEF on line. That is not that same as registering to vote.

To quote from https://www.gov.uk/register-to-vote

Use this service to apply to register to vote or to:
    • update your name, address or other details on the electoral register
    • change your voting preferences, for example to vote in person or by post
    • change whether you’re on the open register
    It usually takes about 5 minutes.
  • Nick_C
    I challenged the Electoral Commission about this...

Which confirms that you really do get some sort of perverse pleasure from wasting taxpayers' money.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure