Struggling with debt? Ask a debt adviser a question

Comments

• StepChange_Allen
    StepChange_Allen Posts: 352
    First Anniversary First Post
    Organisation Representative
    Hello,

Please help! I have received a Claim Form for a debt which I defaulted on in 2010. The debt was on a credit card for £7600. I tried to negotiate with them at the time until I got myself back on my feet. Since then I have paid them £1 a month so I believe this does not make the debt statute barred as this is seen as me admitting to the debt - is that correct?

The claim form is saying that the debt was assigned to PRA in 2014 and that since then I have paid them £1300 - which I have not!

My situation is that I am a single parent, working but receiving benefits.

I need to respond by Monday - please advise what my best course of action is.

Many thanks

Hi there

Thanks for posting.

A debt only becomes statute barred if no payments or written acknowledgement of the debt have been made for a six year period at any time. So from what you've explained here you're correct that the debtr will not be statute barred.

I'm not really sure why they'd say you've paid £1300 since 2014 if you haven't, that's an odd one, but I'm not sure if that changes anything. You could always call them to check why it says this.

Our website has a lot of information on CCJs here and there's a section here which explains how to deal with and complete county court claim forms.

If you'd like some further advice about the claim forms or any other debts you can get touch with us and get all the debt advice you need. All the information about getting started can be found on our website.

I hope this helps.

Allen
    I work as a debt advisor for StepChange Debt Charity and have specific permission from Martin to post on these boards to try and help those in debt. Read more information on StepChange Debt Charity in the Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help article. If you find you're struggling with debt and you need further help try our online advice facility Debt Remedy.

Don't be afraid of getting debt advice. We'll help you take one more step towards getting help with your debt.
  • AndyLGR
    AndyLGR Posts: 229
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Hello, I have debt letter arrive for a debt that I believe is statute barred. Can anyone point me in the right direction of the statute barred template letter please, the one I found was from 2010 and wondered if there was maybe a later one to use. Thanks.
  • Hi,
    i just have a question about if anyone could find out you were bankrupt. I just recently applied for a job and the application form asked if I'd ever been made bankrupt. I was, but it was 14 years ago and I thought it was behind me. I just wondered if I would have to declare this forever or can i just move on now? If i say no, could the employer find out? The job is nothing to do with banking or finance or even working in a shop where you might handle money for example.
    Many thanks for any advice
  • Former_StepChange_Richard
    Former_StepChange_Richard Posts: 119 Organisation Representative
    AndyLGR wrote: »
    Hello, I have debt letter arrive for a debt that I believe is statute barred. Can anyone point me in the right direction of the statute barred template letter please, the one I found was from 2010 and wondered if there was maybe a later one to use. Thanks.

Hi there,

There's a copy available on our website. Here's a link for you.

Best of luck,
    Richard
    I work as a debt advisor for StepChange Debt Charity and have specific permission from Martin to post on these boards to try and help those in debt. Read more information on StepChange Debt Charity in the Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help article. If you find you're struggling with debt and you need further help try our online advice facility Debt Remedy.

Don't be afraid of getting debt advice. We'll help you take one more step towards getting help with your debt.
  • Former_StepChange_Richard
    Former_StepChange_Richard Posts: 119 Organisation Representative
    J1234567 wrote: »
    Hi,
    i just have a question about if anyone could find out you were bankrupt. I just recently applied for a job and the application form asked if I'd ever been made bankrupt. I was, but it was 14 years ago and I thought it was behind me. I just wondered if I would have to declare this forever or can i just move on now? If i say no, could the employer find out? The job is nothing to do with banking or finance or even working in a shop where you might handle money for example.
    Many thanks for any advice

Hi there,

I've replied to the private message you sent in about this. Let us know if you need any further help on this.

Take care,
    Richard.

• AndyLGR
    AndyLGR Posts: 229
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Hi there,

There's a copy available on our website. Here's a link for you.

Best of luck,
    Richard
    Thank you, is there any guidance in law or the CCA about the 6 year rule? ie when it starts from. I've heard some claimants are trying to say its from default or termination of the agreement as opposed to last contact.
  • Hi

My husband has around a £30,000 debt made up from 3 credit cards. I am looking to consolidate these debts to one payment a month, none of the sites seem to be helping. Would it be because he is self employed. I really don't want to down the remortgage route.

Thanks

Kerry
  • StepChange_Rachael
    StepChange_Rachael Posts: 375
    First Anniversary First Post
    Organisation Representative
    Hi Kerry

Welcome to the forum and thanks for posting.

If your husband is struggling with his minimum payments to his creditors then there are many different options available to him. These options would depend on his situation. As a debt advisor we help people look at alternative solutions for problem debt but we aren’t able to give advice on further borrowing such as consolidation loans.

There may be other forums on MoneySavingExpert.com that would be able to give you advice on consolidation loans. It’s important to note that in our experience further borrowing rarely helps as interest rates can be particularly high.

If you Husband would like to explore their options further with us then you can find a link to our online self-help tool Debt Remedy here.

Take care
    Rachael

k.tokes74 wrote: »
    Hi

My husband has around a £30,000 debt made up from 3 credit cards. I am looking to consolidate these debts to one payment a month, none of the sites seem to be helping. Would it be because he is self employed. I really don't want to down the remortgage route.

Thanks

Kerry
  • ch1978
    ch1978 Posts: 5 Forumite
    Just looking for a bit of advice here really. I currently have a personal unsecured loan with Nationwide with an outstanding balance of £11,000 and I am paying back £200 a month on it.

In the past year my job has changed(reduced hours and wages) , have had another child(3rd child all under 8) and now my Wife is no longer working.

Ideally I need to reduce this monthly outlay on the loan as we are seriously struggling to have anything left at the end of the month.

If I approach Nationwide and explain my situation and change of circumstances, is there a chance that they would allow me to drop the monthly repayments to an amount that does not leave us struggling each month?

Other alternatives could be to go bankrupt or look for a debt relief order but would sooner just get a reduced monthly payment to make
  • eesha
    eesha Posts: 2 Newbie
    Hi,
    I have accumulated £1500 worth of debt on my credit card and I bank with HSBC. I tried using the MSE tool to find a lender that would let me switch my debt to give me more time to pay it with the added interest. Unfortunately I am eligible for none of them. Is there anything I can do/anywhere else I can try?
    I am currently on benefits and I think my address history (moved a lot since 2012) isn't helping either.

Thanks
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport