Money after taking Redundancy - What can I claim?

At the end of October, I will be resigning from my job due to taking Voluntary Redundancy. I will be moving from the Midlands to Weston-super-mare.

With this, I have been told there is a chance I could have the money which is potentially £6k if the position is filled or if not, I have been told to resign and I would just get 1 and a half months wages and holiday pay.

What I would like to know is, can I claim any benefits? With this I mean anything from JSA, Income Support and Housing Benefit. I am pro-active with job searching but I will need some money to back myself up as out of that money, I will need to pay for moving costs and a deposit.

Comments

• paddedjohn
    paddedjohn Posts: 7,512
    First Anniversary
    Forumite
    At the end of October, I will be resigning from my job due to taking Voluntary Redundancy. I will be moving from the Midlands to Weston-super-mare.

With this, I have been told there is a chance I could have the money which is potentially £6k if the position is filled or if not, I have been told to resign and I would just get 1 and a half months wages and holiday pay.

What I would like to know is, can I claim any benefits? With this I mean anything from JSA, Income Support and Housing Benefit. I am pro-active with job searching but I will need some money to back myself up as out of that money, I will need to pay for moving costs and a deposit.

how can you be made redundant if the job is still there?
    Be Alert..........Britain needs lerts.
  • paddedjohn wrote: »
    how can you be made redundant if the job is still there?

I applied for a voluntary redundancy scheme. Basically, I filled in a form wishing to apply and that I would get the £6k if the position would be filled by someone on a "priority movers" list....e.g someone who is at risk of redundancy. I have been approved, but awaiting for someone to take my position and for me to get the monies.

someone recruited = £6k is mine
    someone not recruited = no VR money.
  • JethroUK
    JethroUK Posts: 1,959 Forumite

If you are made 'redundant' then you are not 'resigning' - 2 totally different conditions

You need to stop using that term if you expect any support from benefits office

If you taking redundancy (voluntary or not) then you should say your are "redundant"
    When will the "Edit" and "Quote" button get fixed on the mobile web interface?
  • CAB_Birmingham_representative
    CAB_Birmingham_representative Posts: 89 Organisation Representative

Dear Twelvestopsthenhome,

It is important to establish whether you will be resigning or taking voluntary redundancy as both options have different outcomes for benefit entitlements.

If you have voluntarily quit (resigned) without good reason, your Jobcentre Plus can delay/sanction your Jobseeker's Allowance. This is because you would have brought your employment to an end by your own acts.

If you take voluntary redundancy, you could be entitled to Job Seekers Allowance however, your eligibility for JSA will be dependant upon how much NI contributions you have paid (for contribution based JSA) or how much your redundancy pay out is (£6,000) as well as how much savings you have (for Income based JSA.)

The following information has been extracted from www.adviceguide.org.uk ‘Your situation after redundancy’

“You might be able to get cash help from the government or local authority (benefits). For example, you might get Jobseeker's Allowance (JSA), Housing Benefit, Council Tax Benefit, free school meals for your children and help with NHS costs. Benefits depend on your circumstances. You should claim benefits as soon as you can - you can make a claim on your first day of unemployment.

To claim JSA in England, Wales or Scotland, telephone Jobcentre Plus on 0800 055 6688 or claim online at: www.direct.gov.uk.

If you get redundancy pay when you are made redundant, this might affect your right to claim benefits.

If you are getting Working Tax Credit (WTC) and your job ends because of redundancy, you will no longer be entitled to WTC. Some people can carry on getting WTC for four more weeks after their job ends. If you lose your job, you might be entitled to more Child Tax Credit. You must inform HM Revenue and Customs about the change in your circumstances.”

If you would like to get a benefit check to clarify your entitlements to benefits, you may wish to contact an organisation called ‘Turn2us’ who provide a benefit check over the phone on 0808 802 2000 (lines are open Mon-Fri 8am to 8pm.)

As you are thinking of moving to Weston-super-mare, you may have to contact the North Somerset Council for assistance with your Housing Benefit and Council Benefit. Please note that you will need a tenancy agreement before you can apply.

Email: [EMAIL="westoncontactcentre@liberata.com"]westoncontactcentre@liberata.com[/EMAIL]
    Telephone: 01934 888 144

Alternatively, you are more than welcome to visit your local Citizens Advice Bureau.

Kind regards,
    Birmingham CAB
    Official CAB Representative
    I am an official representative of CAB. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to questions on the CAB Board. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. If you believe I’ve broken any rules please report my post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com as usual"
  • Hi Guys, I was made redundant just over 6 months ago. And the pay out I received was used to pay off various debts. I've been claiming JSA National Insurance based for the last 6 months, and I've now just applied for JSA income based. The bit where I'm in an awkward position was the debts I had to pay off with my redundancy was a mixture of gambling debts and loans sharks, I also had to pay a friend back 4k that he owed me. I've explained to JSA where I've paid the money out, but I cant give them any receipts etc...because as you can imagine door to door loan sharks dont work like that it's either pay up or els. I've provided JSA with 6 months of bank statements lisiting all my transactions, if anyone could offer some advice I'd be greatful.

Thanks Gav
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport