Central Heating Oil - can it be bought in a container

Strange request I know, but does anyone know if you can get oil in a container rather than a tanker delivering it???

The prooblem is that I have purchased a house and the oil drum/container is at the back of the property and it has just run out. Unfortunately there is no side entrance to the property, and the previous owner used to run the pipe over a neighbours property but this is not feasible now.

Anyone got any suggestions???

PS: I'm getting a quote to pipe gas to the property but that will take 6-8 weeks.

PPS: I'm getting cold!

Bren
Smile and be happy, things can usually get worse!

Comments

• Xbert
    Xbert Posts: 12 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    IF you live in the Emerald Isle The answer appears to be yes, from http://www.maxoldirect.com. I've not seen it offered elsewhere, it sounds like a big pain, but if you're cold ...
  • and ask the delivery driver to fill them & then you put it into smaller containers & do it that way, long and laborious, but have known it done that way. I do know buying it in small amounts from a garage would work out very very expensive. Hope this helps.
    if i had known then what i know now
  • powie
    powie Posts: 22 Forumite
    Working at an oil company myself, i know that you can purchase barrels of kerosine (about 205 litres or roughly 45 gallons), for about 40p per litre plus VAT (should be 5% VAT for domestic use), which are normally delivered within 3 /5 working days. I know that some oil companies are funny about filling old barrels or old containers for health and safety reasons.
    Something else that I've known to be recommended for people who use kerosine for heating (when they have run out), is premium grade parrafin, which is just a more refined version of kerosine. It can smell abit but is a similar product to kerosine. You can normally get this at your local garage in gallon containers.
    Good Luck
  • powie
    powie Posts: 22 Forumite
    forgot to add to my last post, that if you got hold of a barrel of kero, so would probably need a pump to get the oil out with.
  • bigbadbren wrote:
    The prooblem is that I have purchased a house and the oil drum/container is at the back of the property and it has just run out. Unfortunately there is no side entrance to the property, and the previous owner used to run the pipe over a neighbours property but this is not feasible now.

Anyone got any suggestions???

It seems very strange to have a tank fitted, where you have no access. I think it might be worth checking the deeds to your property, to see if you have certain access via your neighbour's property. Oil has probably been used at your property for some considerable length of time and some old access rights may well exist (we have them!).

Check your deeds to see if you have any access - or check the bundle of stuff that the solicitor sent you in connection with the purchase, e.g. searches, sellers information sheet etc. (Now I think about it, this should have been mentioned on the sellers' information sheet).

This might enable you to get an immediate oil delivery whilst you sort out the gas.

Regards
    Warning ..... I'm a peri-menopausal axe-wielding maniac ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure