Promise to pay vs default

Just looking to see if anyone has any advice or may have been in a similar situation.

Back in Oct 2013 I moved properties and told the utility company my forwarding address and last meter reads. I received a rather high final usage bill and at the time didn't have that sorta money laying around. I called the utility company and asked if I could pay in instalment for the next 5 months. Forward on to 2016 i applied for a mortgage and could told no because of my credit rating. I go and get my report, this shows an active account with utility company and shows I have defaulted on the oustanding balance every month since 2013!! I called up paid of the debt straight away and advised the advisor that i believed this was to be taken from my account over the course of 5 months. They say this isn't the case and that I had agreed to call up to make the payments. I asked why they have never chased me for the money since then but quite happily add it to my credit file, and would continue to do so forever had I not called them up. They say a promise to pay had been added to my account meaning no reminder notices go out? My question is after the 5 months and no payments had been made surely a notice should have gone out? Does this just mean I'm lumbered with this now on my credit file for 6 years?? i have tried fighting it with them to no avail, they say it's factual information and that reason leading up to why I was in debt do not matter? This as meant my credit rating is reflecting as 'very poor' all negotiate factors are showing to be linked with this utility account! The amount outstanding was only £134, and I had every intention of paying it so I'm feeling very upset that they can just ruin my history just cus they feel like it. I understand I should have checked the amount left my account back in 2013 but in all honesty I was a single mother and just returned back to work and moved house and it slipped my mind. :(

Comments

• Dobbibill
    Dobbibill Posts: 4,133
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper First Post
    Ambassador
    The utility company have reported factual information.

Your report will show settled now the payment has been made. The impact of this will lessen with time.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Budgeting & Bank Accounts, Credit Cards, Credit File & Ratings and Energy boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

If you can't be the best -
    Just be better than you were yesterday.
  • National_Debtline
    National_Debtline Posts: 7,998
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Organisation Representative
    Hi George4Sally and welcome to MSE,

I am afraid that only incorrect data can be removed from your file, and that doesn't seem to be the case here. It will show for 6 years from the original default date, which, if that was 2013 means it will only show for 3 more years. And Dobbibill is right, that the older information gets the less of an impact it has, and the fact that it is now settled will help too.

You can raise the matter with the Information Commissioner, but it doesn't seem to be incorrectly recorded data, so I am not sure you will get much further. You can add a notice of correction to your file to give the situation more context (in case a future credit check is done by a person). Try not to be too upset, it will come off in the next few years and you can go again.

Laura
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
  • Anthorn
    Anthorn Posts: 4,362
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    In response to the OP, if you don't uphold your contractual obligations you defaulted. Pure and simple really.

We cannot say for certain what in the circumstances any lender will do. We can only say what is likely and what is unlikely. It could be that a default recorded three years ago is unlikely to affect credit applications ... but don't bother applying for an American Express card!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure