ATB'S Frugal Foray to Freedom

Comments

• JimLad
    JimLad Posts: 949 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    wow that must have been terrifying! Did they just chance their arm in through the front door?
    Mortgage Free 22/03/17
    MissWillow is my OH!
  • Watty1
    Watty1 Posts: 4,877 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    That must have been terrifying. So glad you are ok.
    Made it to mortgage free but what a muddle that became

In the event the proverbial hits the fan then co-habitees are better stashing their cash than being mortgage free !!
  • JimLad wrote: »
    wow that must have been terrifying! Did they just chance their arm in through the front door?

Yep, exactly that. The police reckon they just wanted the car. It is brand new, a bit sporty and DH's pride and joy. Why can't the f***ers just go out and graft like the rest of us do?!

We were burgled in our last house during the night whilst we slept, around 2 years ago. We had a nice car then as well, and again the police thought they would have wanted the keys for it. All the old feelings of vulnerability and violation have come flooding back...

Anyway, alarm is all up and running now, and we have a special pet sensor downstairs where the dog sleeps so she won't set it off. It has spurred me on to clear out the garage so I can put the car in there, so guess what I'm doing this afternoon before the school run :)x
    MFW :)
    [STRIKE]Mortgage 8.2.15 - [/STRIKE][STRIKE]£171,064.64[/STRIKE] Mortgage 1.5.2018 - £99,980.45
    Aiming to be MF 1.10.2020
  • Oh, ATB, how awful for you :( So glad you and the children are ok.

A very similar thing happened to us three years ago. My twins were only four months old and DH went downstairs to grab something for one of them at 5am and saw a torch light in the living room. He ran back upstairs and we barricaded ourselves in our bedroom. I remember feeling utterly terrified that they would try and come upstairs :( They took both sets of car keys - stole my car and attempted to steal DH's car too but the police came before they had time so they left without it. My car was full of baby stuff, an expensive double pushchair, and lots more. It was devastating at the time....
    Mortgage - £105,500
  • CathT
    CathT Posts: 7,115 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    How awful ATB, hope the alarm system works for you. A good reminder to us all to be extra careful and consider our own security.
    Apr 2024 - part 1 - £30,337 part 2 - £24,811 Total - £55,148 43 months to go!
  • Yep, exactly that. The police reckon they just wanted the car. It is brand new, a bit sporty and DH's pride and joy. Why can't the f***ers just go out and graft like the rest of us do?!

My sentiments exactly! How terrifying.
  • Good afternoon all,

Sorry I've been AWOL. It's been a tumultuous week, and in and amongst everything else I've grown another year older :cool::D

I've OPd a whole £9 this morning, check me out :rotfl: I will look at all the finances closely next week, the attempted burglary has cost us over £550 in extra security measures so I must take a closer look at exactly what the impact is.

Right now the fire is roaring, I have a glass of wine, the kids are with a friend and I'm looking forward to strictly. It's about as much as my brain can handle ;)

Thanks for your words of support xx
    [STRIKE]Mortgage 8.2.15 - [/STRIKE][STRIKE]£171,064.64[/STRIKE] Mortgage 1.5.2018 - £99,980.45
  • hiddenshadow
    hiddenshadow Posts: 2,525 Forumite
    Happy birthday! :D Well done with the OP as well, hope the security spends don't have too big an impact (I hate when my plans get derailed like that).
  • _party_ Ahem.... *sung to the tune of Happy Birthday*

Happy birthday to you, :dance:
    Happy birthday to you, :dance:
    You look like a money-saver, :dance:
    And you OP like one too! :dance:

Hurray! :bdaycake:
    Mortgage - £105,500
  • PL :rotfl: that has made me smile, thank you :)

A lovely relaxing afternoon. Kiddies are home tomorrow, so peace won't reign for much longer but I'll enjoy it whilst it lasts! I must must do a meal plan tomorrow morning, I want to avoid the supermarkets for at least another week if I can, buying just from the butcher and grocer. Watch this space...

Sleep well all xx
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure