The International CallChecker discussion thread 2

Options

Comments

• buglawton
    buglawton Posts: 9,235 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I think the 0208 number is safest for 18185 as the 0808 as a 'special' rate might not qualify for the 5p/min after 5 mins or free mins on Daily Bonus offers on Virgin.
  • jhp
    jhp Posts: 2,342 Forumite
    Options
    buglawton wrote: »
    I think the 0208 number is safest for 18185 as the 0808 as a 'special' rate might not qualify for the 5p/min after 5 mins or free mins on Daily Bonus offers on Virgin.

I am talking about,and was responding to discussion about Intl Calls from a Virgin Landline from which calls to Freephone 0800/0808/0500 are free,and my response was intended for Virgin Media Landline users, not Virgin Mobile.I suggested using the freephone number because not every Virgin Media landline customer would have inclusive 24/7 01/02/03 geographical calls.;)
  • soozywoozy
    Options
    can anyone advise the cheapest way to call UK from HK?
  • Granite
    Options
    Please does anyone have any advice about calling UK from South Africa? I will have an unlocked PAYG mobile.
    Also, If sending a text message from Sth Africa does the recipient get charged in the UK as well as the sender paying?
    Thanks
    Granite
  • chiggins
    chiggins Posts: 11 Forumite
    Options
    Has anyone got advice on calling a mobile in Tenerife from a BT landline? Thanks.
  • jhp
    jhp Posts: 2,342 Forumite
    Options
    chiggins wrote: »
    Has anyone got advice on calling a mobile in Tenerife from a BT landline? Thanks.

It would help if you told us if your calling a Spanish Tenerife Mobile ,or a UK Mobile roaming in Tenerife.:D
  • Wachowt
    Options
    Hi there,

My first post so please be nice if I get things wrong.
    I've been using 1pminute for "cheap" phone calls to my boy in Mexico. Their website quoted 3p a minute and when I dialled I was told 3p. The website also said there was no connection fee for BT land lines.
    When I phoned my land line provider VirginMedia to check their connection fee to the 0844 access number they told me I would be charged the same as for a BT line. But they then claimed that this is 50p/minute and I'm horified as I've been ringing several times using this service.
    I've emailed 1pminute several times but had no reply.
    Please can you tell me if the above is correct or if they're trying to scare me off using this service?

Cheers,
    Rob
  • benjus
    benjus Posts: 5,433 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Wachowt wrote: »
    Hi there,

My first post so please be nice if I get things wrong.
    I've been using 1pminute for "cheap" phone calls to my boy in Mexico. Their website quoted 3p a minute and when I dialled I was told 3p. The website also said there was no connection fee for BT land lines.
    When I phoned my land line provider VirginMedia to check their connection fee to the 0844 access number they told me I would be charged the same as for a BT line. But they then claimed that this is 50p/minute and I'm horified as I've been ringing several times using this service.
    I've emailed 1pminute several times but had no reply.
    Please can you tell me if the above is correct or if they're trying to scare me off using this service?

Cheers,
    Rob

According to this page:

http://allyours.virginmedia.com/pdf/uk-nongeographic-calls.pdf

the 0844 number for Mexico is in the PG10 chargeband... which, according to this page:

http://allyours.virginmedia.com/pdf/002508_010409_Residential_Cable%20V6.pdf

costs 3.91p/min with a 7.82p connection charge.

Personally if I were calling Mexico I would look at CallEasy (http://www.calleasy.com/en/rates.html) - 1p/min to Mexico landlines, or JustVoIP (http://www.justvoip.com/en/calling-rates.html) - Free to Mexico City/Guadalajara/Monterrey.
    Let's settle this like gentlemen: armed with heavy sticks
    On a rotating plate, with spikes like Flash Gordon
    And you're Peter Duncan; I gave you fair warning
  • Wachowt
    Options
    Thanks for the info. I did look at the 1p/min calls but as you say they don't cover where I'm calling (Cancun). The problem seems to be greedy Virgin Media, I'm glad I don't use them, it's my son's mother's phone!! I did have an Orange Livebox that gave me 100% free calls but that's down at the moment.
  • ohit
    ohit Posts: 370 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    You should include Skype prices in the International CallChecker, especially as now anyone can use it from normal phones using its SkypeToGo service (which I am using for no extra charge other than standard Pay-As-U-Go) credit.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure