Cancelled Shifts 0 hours Contract

My son keeps being sent home form is weekend job (zero hours contract), which is paided hourly before the end of his shifts, can they do that ??
Today he turned up for a 6 hour shift and was send home with other employees after 17 minutes.....It has actually cost him more in bus fare that he has got paid so has lost money. Im not sure what his rights are.

Comments

• HelenO wrote: »
    My son keeps being sent home form is weekend job (zero hours contract), which is paided hourly before the end of his shifts, can they do that ??
    Today he turned up for a 6 hour shift and was send home with other employees after 17 minutes.....It has actually cost him more in bus fare that he has got paid so has lost money. Im not sure what his rights are.
    I'm not against zero hour contracts because used correctly they benefit both parties.

However, employers like this are disgusting. Personally I'd like to see that a minimum of 4 hours must be paid for every shift given when on a zero hour contract....but thats just me.

And I'm sorry I can't help further but I think unfortunately your son is probably stuffed.
    Don't trust a forum for advice. Get proper paid advice. Any advice given should always be checked
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    can't he call before leaving to make sure they need him? Im on a 0 hour contract and i love it. I have as much or as little work as i want and the flexibility i need with 3 kids.

Employers like that should be ashamed of themselves.
  • TyreLever
    TyreLever Posts: 212 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    edited 18 February 2018 at 8:42AM
    I'm not against zero hour contracts because used correctly they benefit both parties.

However, employers like this are disgusting. Personally I'd like to see that a minimum of 4 hours must be paid for every shift given when on a zero hour contract....but thats just me.

And I'm sorry I can't help further but I think unfortunately your son is probably stuffed.

Then it wouldnt be a zero hour, it would be a 4 hour contract, but I agree this sort of thing is unacceptable. Its a form of abuse. I believe the minimum compensation should be travel costs. Ideally you would be paid a little bit for the inconvenience too. Try calling out the RAC and then not paying them because you finally got your car started! 0 hour employers are all too often SCUM!

Unfortunately there is no entitlement to be paid travelling costs for your commute, only for travel costs you do while on the job. I dont know why this is, I like to think its to discourage vehicle use.
    Sometimes my advice may not be great, but I'm not perfect and I do try my best. Please take this into account.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    This is something that should have been sorted at the last change to ZHC which clarified that you can't make a ZHC exclusive.

Its quite a simple change, if you mutually agree to do a shift then to cancel that shift you need to mutually agree that as well.

As that was not done then the only way to solve this will be through negotiations.

one strategy is for everyone to get together and exercise their right to turn down work by everyone turning down the same shifts.

helps if they have most on ZHC and not just a few to cover.

down side is the employer can just stop giving shifts.
  • TyreLever wrote: »
    Then it wouldnt be a zero hour, it would be a 4 hour contract, but I agree this sort of thing is unacceptable. Its a form of abuse. I believe the minimum compensation should be travel costs. Ideally you would be paid a little bit for the inconvenience too. Try calling out the RAC and then not paying them because you finally got your car started! 0 hour employers are all too often SCUM!

Unfortunately there is no entitlement to be paid travelling costs for your commute, only for travel costs you do while on the job. I dont know why this is, I like to think its to discourage vehicle use.
    No...it would't because a 4 hour contract guarantees 4 hours each week. I'm saying that if someone is called in whilst working on a zero hour contract that regardless if they then get sent back they get paid 4 hours.
    Don't trust a forum for advice. Get proper paid advice. Any advice given should always be checked
  • clairec79
    clairec79 Posts: 2,512 Forumite
    I know with our zero hour contracts if the shift isn't cancelled in advance (ie so you actually turn up but aren't needed) then you will be paid for two hours - only time I've known it happen they've said well you may as well work for those couple of hours anyway
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure