PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Chia seeds

2 very sensible & good cooks I know have recommended Deliciously Ella Every Day, and looking through, I can see why, although I would definitely adapt (as I always do!).
However, I am unconvinced by 'chia seeds' which are expensive. Any good MSE alternatives?
Thanks!

Comments

• Actually - re "expensive" - chia seeds are even available these days at Aldi:)
  • arbrighton
    arbrighton Posts: 2,011 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Aren't they just the latest trendy 'superfood'?

Deliciously Ella seems to be all 'clean eating' and 'trendy' (read VERY expensive, with no scientifically proven evidence for claims) superfood ingredients to me
  • jackyann
    jackyann Posts: 3,433 Forumite
    No, although I think that's how it's promoted, it has some good recipes in it - she cares about good food.
    And I am used to substituting sensible things for trendy expensive ones. I am also quite unswayed by the latest fads, having seen many come & go.

It was just the chia seeds that threw me a bit. I don't have an Aldi nearby, but have to say that whilst Lidl are good value generally, they do over-price a few things.

Anywy, as I progress, I'll report in!
  • WantToBeSE
    WantToBeSE Posts: 7,729 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped! Debt-free and Proud!
    Chia seeds are not expensive. Once put in liquid, they double in size, making them really cost effective.
    I get mine from Aldi. I recommend her maple ginger chia pudding, its really nice. I also mix it up with leaving out the ginger, adding cocoa/cacao powder and a little PB!
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Ok, let's have a truthful verdict here.

Do chia seeds not come with side effects?
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • Callie22
    Callie22 Posts: 3,444 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    VfM4meplse wrote: »

They are high in fibre, so yes they do :) But it's like anything, a tablespoonful or so a day probably won't be a problem for most people. Just don't overdo it.
  • VfM4meplse wrote: »

I don't know - do they?:rotfl:

I'm picturing them as maybe "acting like a new broom" and doing a thorough "internal clean" iyswim...;):rotfl:
  • Greying_Pilgrim
    Greying_Pilgrim Posts: 5,419 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 11 June 2017 at 7:37PM
    jackyann wrote: »
    No, although I think that's how it's promoted, it has some good recipes in it - she cares about good food.
    And I am used to substituting sensible things for trendy expensive ones. I am also quite unswayed by the latest fads, having seen many come & go.

It was just the chia seeds that threw me a bit. I don't have an Aldi nearby, but have to say that whilst Lidl are good value generally, they do over-price a few things.

Anywy, as I progress, I'll report in!

Do you have a H0meBargain$ near to you? They do pouches of whole chia seeds at £1.49 for 200g. Take it from me, 200g would make a lotta pudding....... :D The pouches are usually where the fruit and nuts are, next to the crisps/pop-corn/cranberries/dried mango. Or sometimes they are nearer to the 'home baking' section, with the flaked almonds, dates and sugars. It does seem to depend on where the particular branch seems to put them. They also change the packaging - so I can't describe what to look out for - sorry! EDIT: I've just looked at the pack I had and it was 'Natural Selection' brand. However, I bought it some time ago, and I know that our local HB have now got their own 'brand' chia seed packs - 'Bradburys'. HTH.

Greying
    Pounds for Panes £2,590/£10,000 - start date Dec 2023

Coins for Camping (April) -  £2/£15  (Camping TTD - £60/90)

Grocery spend April £176.38/215
    Non-food household spend April £25.94/25
    Bulk Fund April 0/£10

Knitted items for charity 1/24 (inc. Blankets 1/6)
  • ariarnia
    ariarnia Posts: 4,225 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Flaxseed/linseed (same thing) has a similar nutritional profile and I find them a bit more flexible when cooking as they have a nice 'nutty' taste when toasted.

You can get gold or brown linseed online for around £3 a kilo.
    Almost everything will work again if you unplug it for a few minutes, including you. Anne Lamott

It's amazing how those with a can-do attitude and willingness to 'pitch in and work' get all the luck, isn't it?

Please consider buying some pet food and giving it to your local food bank collection or animal charity. Animals aren't to blame for the cost of living crisis.
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    VfM4meplse wrote: »

ariarnia wrote: »
    Flaxseed/linseed (same thing) has a similar nutritional profile and I find them a bit more flexible when cooking as they have a nice 'nutty' taste when toasted.

You can get gold or brown linseed online for around £3 a kilo.
    I absolutely hate these, they make my life a living bloated hell. I dread to think what would happen if caught up in the diverticula of a susceptible person. On that basis, no way Jos!.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure