A mortgage PPI

Options
I made a complaint regarding a PPI for a mortgage four weeks ago. This is something I finally got round to doing after months of putting it off. I chased the broker a couple of weeks ago and he said he was still looking into it as he has to review the file and some call recordings so I just chased it again as I want this money for Christmas and he told me to expect a response within eight weeks of my complaint but in his view he said he will probably be rejecting my claim and he will fully explain why in this final letter :mad: I told him I have every right to complain and I will take it much further and mentoned the FOS but he said he is doing nothing wrong and put the phone down on me :mad: do I just go to the FOS and get them on it as he is obviously using delaying tactics

Comments

• lovinituk
    lovinituk Posts: 5,711 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Why do you think it was missold? As others more qualified will say shortly, mortgage PPI is rarely missold.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,375 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    just chased it again as I want this money for Christmas

That's not a valid reason for complaint.
    e told me to expect a response within eight weeks of my complaint but in his view he said he will probably be rejecting my claim and he will fully explain why in this final letter

Not a surprise. Most MPPI complaints fail. Especially those arranged by adviser/brokers (PPI is not generally seen as an adviser failing but as a bank failure). The FOS reject most adviser/broker PPI complaints as well.
    I told him I have every right to complain and I will take it much further and mentoned the FOS but he said he is doing nothing wrong and put the phone down on me

You have complained and that is your right. However, he says he is minded to reject it and will verify by letter. That is his right.
    o I just go to the FOS and get them on it as he is obviously using delaying tactics

You cant go to the FOS until you have the outcome letter. However, nothing you have said indicates any delaying tactics.

Perhaps if we understood your complaint reasons, we could be more helpful. So,
    1 - what are your reasons for complaint?
    2 - what evidence do you have to support that (evidence is not required with strong complaint reasons but on weak ones it can be the difference between a successful complaint or a failed one)
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • magpiecottage
    Options
    OVB wrote: »
    I want this money for Christmas
    That does make it sound like a try on.
    he told me to expect a response within eight weeks of my complaint
    In accordance with FCA Rule 1.6.2R
    in his view he said he will probably be rejecting my claim and he will fully explain why in this final letter
    Also in accordance with FCA Rule 1.6.2R
    I told him I have every right to complain
    You do indeed
    I will take it much further and mentoned the FOS
    You can do that but not until he has either responded or reached the end of eight weeks from when he received the complaint (not when you sent it).
    he said he is doing nothing wrong
    You have not told us anything that suggests he has.
    and put the phone down on me
    The aggressive tone of your post (including the emoticons) to us, who are entirely neutral, suggest that you may have been unnecessarily aggressive to the point where anybody working for me is contractually obliged to hang up on a caller.
    do I just go to the FOS and get them on it as he is obviously using delaying tactics
    Who will simply tell you that he has the balance of the eight weeks.

If you want to do something positive, explain why you think the policy was missold - its mere existence is not valid grounds for a complaint.
  • addedvaluebob
    Options
    OP, I am afraid you have to wait the 8 weeks or until the letter arrives (if sooner) that rejects your complaint. Don't bother putting your reasons on here, nobody knows the full circumstances of your case better than you and this can often lead to a lot of criticism.

If you do decide to go to FOS it will be at least one Christmas and more like two before you see anything (if indeed you win). The fact that your broker put the phone down suggests to me that even if an adjudicator rules in your favour the broker will ask for an Ombudsman ruling.

Good luck
  • OVB
    OVB Posts: 9 Forumite
    Options
    That does make it sound like a try on.
    In accordance with FCA Rule 1.6.2R

Also in accordance with FCA Rule 1.6.2R

You do indeed You can do that but not until he has either responded or reached the end of eight weeks from when he received the complaint (not when you sent it).
    You have not told us anything that suggests he has.

The aggressive tone of your post (including the emoticons) to us, who are entirely neutral, suggest that you may have been unnecessarily aggressive to the point where anybody working for me is contractually obliged to hang up on a caller.

Who will simply tell you that he has the balance of the eight weeks.

If you want to do something positive, explain why you think the policy was missold - its mere existence is not valid grounds for a complaint.

He made me feel that a PPI was compulsory for me to get the mortgage and I was not given any details of the policy and feel this did not suit my circumstances. He reckons he can disprove all of this as he will have a copy of a call to me confirming that I was told all this but it was 11 years ago so I doubt it and reckon he is trying to fob me off. If he has this call why has he not sent it yet I wonder answer me that. My husband got his ppi back easy from a Lloyds card
  • Insider101
    Insider101 Posts: 1,062 Forumite
    Options
    I made a complaint regarding a PPI for a mortgage four weeks ago. This is something I finally got round to doing after months of putting it off. I chased the broker a couple of weeks ago and he said he was still looking into it as he has to review the file and some call recordings so I just chased it again as I want this money for Christmas and he told me to expect a response within eight weeks of my complaint but in his view he said he will probably be rejecting my claim and he will fully explain why in this final letter :mad: I told him I have every right to complain and I will take it much further and mentoned the FOS but he said he is doing nothing wrong and put the phone down on me :mad: do I just go to the FOS and get them on it as he is obviously using delaying tactics

You can't go to the FOS until either you have a final decision or 8 weeks have elapsed from the date of origin complaint, whichever is the sooner. If you do then you are probably going to be waiting months or even years.
  • Insider101
    Options
    OP, I am afraid you have to wait the 8 weeks or until the letter arrives (if sooner) that rejects your complaint. Don't bother putting your reasons on here, nobody knows the full circumstances of your case better than you and this can often lead to a lot of criticism.

Defeats the whole purpose of posting on the forum. Any advice given is only going to be as good as the details it is based on.
  • Insider101
    Options
    He made me feel that a PPI was compulsory for me to get the mortgage and I was not given any details of the policy and feel this did not suit my circumstances. He reckons he can disprove all of this as he will have a copy of a call to me confirming that I was told all this but it was 11 years ago so I doubt it and reckon he is trying to fob me off. If he has this call why has he not sent it yet I wonder answer me that. My husband got his ppi back easy from a Lloyds card

Your husband's case is unfortunately neither here nor there. Credit card PPI was a more flawed product than mortgage (though not as flawed as single premium loan PPI). It is also a complaint against a large, faceless bank. I'm not sure how big your broker is, they vary from one man bands to large telephone based operations but the fact that you're actually dealing with the broker makes it sound more like the former and they tend to take complaints far more personally.

Any paperwork or other documentary evidence he has will be sent with the FDL, they will not send it mid investigation. He may be waiting to try and retrieve the call recording from an external storage provider. I think you're just going to have to wait and see. The other possibility with it being 11 years ago (so pre-2005) is that they may just turn around and say it's pre regulation and we weren't a member of GISC hence are not obliged to consider the matter any further.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,375 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    He made me feel that a PPI was compulsory for me to get the mortgage and I was not given any details of the policy and feel this did not suit my circumstances.

Many mortgage brokers require the purchase of insurance to allow them to give free mortgage advice. That model is allowed as long as the insurance is suitable.

Policy details are supplied in the post.
    He reckons he can disprove all of this as he will have a copy of a call to me confirming that I was told all this but it was 11 years ago so I doubt it and reckon he is trying to fob me off.

He will almost certainly have the files. Advisers hold on to them. Which is why most advised complaints fail. However, the onus is more on your to support your allegations.
    My husband got his ppi back easy from a Lloyds card

hardly comparing like for like. A credit card PPI sold by a bank is a million miles away from a mortgage PPI sold by a broker. Most Lloyds PPi complaints do succeed. Most MPPI broker sold complaints get rejected by the FOS. Different products covering very different needs via a different distribution channel.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • addedvaluebob
    Options
    Insider101 wrote: »
    Defeats the whole purpose of posting on the forum. Any advice given is only going to be as good as the details it is based on.

But there is rarely any useful advice just criticism of the poster and their reasons because they don't usually frame the posting or the original complaint properly because they don't really understand what they are doing/writing.

In response to this they get 'your reasons are rubbish, most complaints will fail, that's not a reason, you are trying it on, what the broker did was legal, he did nothing wrong, you are being aggressive' - this is advice?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure