DRO help

Hi
I have been enquiring about setting up a DRO today and my surplus is under £50 a month but they've said cos I pay £50 a month to a ccj which is included in my income and expenditure I am not allowed a DRO.
Is that right?
Also if I can do a DRO are any of my husband's belongings included in the things in his house over £1000 going to be taken off him?
The DRO is based on my income.

Comments

• sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,876 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    sarahl1904 wrote: »
    Hi
    I have been enquiring about setting up a DRO today and my surplus is under £50 a month but they've said cos I pay £50 a month to a ccj which is included in my income and expenditure I am not allowed a DRO.
    Is that right?
    Also if I can do a DRO are any of my husband's belongings included in the things in his house over £1000 going to be taken off him?
    The DRO is based on my income.

Where did you go for information on a DRO ?

The assets rule does not work like that, nothing gets taken from anyone, your confusing this with a bayliff removing goods.

Assets include cash, or any other valuable items that are yours, you can also have a car worth up to £1000.

Unsure on the first part of your question.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • sarahl1904
    sarahl1904 Posts: 7 Forumite
    Thank you so if it's in my husband's name and it's over £1000 that's fine?
    My jewellery is worth less than £1000 so that's ok isn't it?
    I got the information regarding the ccj off Stepchange.
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,489 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Is that right?

No, it's irrelevant. If you have less than £50 surplus per month then you meet the surplus income rule.

What you've been paying up to that point doesn't matter. You could have been paying the ccj by going further into debt, or with help from partner or a third party or been paying it from excluded income or been paying at the expense of other bills like water or food
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,876 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    i would take Fatbellys advice above, as he is an intermediary.

Stepchange dont always get it right unfortunately.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • Thank you for your message.
    My available income is less than £50 I don't know why stepchange would say it's not available.
    Do you recommend anywhere else I could phone about it?
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,489 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Thank you for your message.
    My available income is less than £50 I don't know why stepchange would say it's not available.
    Do you recommend anywhere else I could phone about it?

Stepchange and CAB are the main ones for DROs. But there are a dozen or so 'competent authorities'

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/getting-a-debt-relief-order/getting-a-debt-relief-order.

I am routinely getting clients (at CAB) who have been turned down for a DRO by Stepchange/payplan despite being suited to one.

Equally, I had a client this week who had been so well prepared by National Debtline that she arrived with everything I needed and we submitted the application an hour later!
  • Would u recommend me getting in touch with national debt line first?
    I did phone the CAB and they said they'd get back to me but I haven't heard from them.
  • wba31
    wba31 Posts: 2,189 Forumite
    I'm guessing with SC your budget shows you paying £50 and then your surplus is under £50, but when a DRO goes through you wont pay the £50 ccj so it appears the surplus will go over.
    Are there areas on your budget you are not budgeting for? food been reduced? clothing? hairdressing? christmas/birthdays? leisure?
    just contact SC and tell them what areas will increase to if you're not paying £50 ccj and get them to put the DRO through...
  • king16
    king16 Posts: 12 Forumite
    Sorry to jump on your post for advice.. but this is interesting, my husband was hoping to apply for a DRO as his debts are under the amount, no assets or savings over £1000, his surplus is £20 a month but because he pays £64 to 3x CCJ's a month they have said that would become surplus if he stopped paying them due to a DRO so said he isn't able to apply for a DRO.

This is also with StepChange. he has filled out the debt remedy form on their website but hasn't decided on what to do so he can still amend the debt remedy, what should he alter?
  • National_Debtline
    National_Debtline Posts: 7,998 Organisation Representative
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi king16

king16 wrote: »
    Sorry to jump on your post for advice.. but this is interesting, my husband was hoping to apply for a DRO as his debts are under the amount, no assets or savings over £1000, his surplus is £20 a month but because he pays £64 to 3x CCJ's a month they have said that would become surplus if he stopped paying them due to a DRO so said he isn't able to apply for a DRO.

This is also with StepChange. he has filled out the debt remedy form on their website but hasn't decided on what to do so he can still amend the debt remedy, what should he alter?

I have replied on the other thread you started on this topic.

Dennis
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure