Debt-Free wanna be vs Maternity pay. Determined to stay on track.

Options

Comments

• hannahroberts1985
    Options
    Thanks. Feeling very determined to get it turned around and in our own home while the boys are still little and don't know we are constantly watching the pennies xx
    emergency fund:£179/ £1000 Uniform/car fund:£
    boys savings £
    Christmas £60 bday £40 holiday £

Family loan £7000/£5425
    Credit Card 0% £2015.32 eon £435 overdrafts £1500/£1300
  • enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,594 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Coping with tight budgeting with children is hard but I personally don't think it does any harm for children to see from an early age we all have to make choices. Money was tight for us when our girls were little and I was a SAHM and I watched every penny. Giving them a choice of a comic or sweets on pocket money day made them realise they didn't get everything they wanted and sometimes had to wait so sweets one week and the comic or Saturday morning cinema the next. They are both grown up and both solvent now so don't think we did too much wrong. School trips they had to put birthday money towards and no holidays until I went back to work and we had more money.

Your boys will be fine. Don't think you are depriving them by them sometimes having to wait for stuff.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • hannahroberts1985
    Options
    Oh they are no means deprived. Growing up things were very tight for my mum and dad and I'd like to be able to take the boys on holidays and do after school clubs etc something my parents couldn't afford. Also I'd love to have some savings for each of them to help them get on the property ladder one day. When they have saved a bit thenselves I'd love to be able to say we'll match match what they've saved. X
    boys savings £

Family loan £7000/£5425
  • cms-help
    cms-help Posts: 187 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Oh they are no means deprived. Growing up things were very tight for my mum and dad and I'd like to be able to take the boys on holidays and do after school clubs etc something my parents couldn't afford. Also I'd love to have some savings for each of them to help them get on the property ladder one day. When they have saved a bit thenselves I'd love to be able to say we'll match match what they've saved. X

We also take the view that it's nice to help the children out in the future. As we have no idea what the future might hold, we are saving every month into their accounts so their tuition fees will be paid for if they choose university. We didn't want them leaving school with massive debts that take forever to repay (I'm from the grant generation so didn't have to deal with it).

The after school clubs at my eldest's school are run by the teachers/teaching assistants and are all free. There's usually something different on every day. We do pay for weekend swimming and martial arts lessons and eldest wants to start riding when he's old enough (the local club only starts aged 7 though).
  • hannahroberts1985
    Options
    Yeah it would be lovely to help them out to get to where they need to be.

Oooh the free after school clubs sound good. I'd love to send them to beavers/scouts i did brownies as a kid and loved it.

First kit day in the bag yesterday:money:it's about £100 a day so I've booked in another two between now and my return at the start of June but think I'll try squeeze in another one too.

Dp'a payday he had a bit of a bad month, a lot better than what he would have early at this old job so can't complain. All bills and bits covered for next month plus the few bits we'd gone over on :eek:this month. £100 Tesco shop coming today which should see us through to my payday on 15th. I have officially finished breastfeeding DS is 7 months old now. £10 a week on formula though :eek: on a plus note we have finally got his bedtime routine sorted and the last two nights he had slept though!!!! First time I've slept more than 4 hours in 10 months!!

So tomorrow we are on a night out while my mum baby sits. I have a bottle of wine and box of choccys as payment for her. She wanted to do a day out with the boys tomorrow but I said to just come and we will have a paddling pool day I need them to got to bed early so we can go out and i need to save some energy for our gig. I have £50 put aside for drinks and food tomorrow night but hoping I don't spend it all.

£7 spent on two pairs of short pj's for DS2 yesterday and £15 in boots on eyeliner, toothpaste and deodorant. I work in the town centre so I need to be carful!! Maybe I should leave my cards at home. I did however leave early enough to park out of town and walk in to save on parking :money:!

Think that's all. I think it'll be another 3 tight months (depending on dp's earnings) one more mat pay them two big child care bills then the savings should start to rise at a minimum of £200 a month! Eek exciting.

Right best do some jobs before getting DS1 from school x
    boys savings £

Family loan £7000/£5425
  • reality_check
    Options
    Hope you enjoyed the sleep, I am dreading the sleepless nights, been a long time considering my daughter is now 20!! Long may it continue for you :)

I can imagine working in town would be dangerous, I would need to leave the cards at home, but my willpower doesn't really exist!

Enjoy your night out tomorrow xx
    Starting debt £18,675.63 :eek:
    Current debt: £5,000 (16/05/18)
  • hannahroberts1985
    Options
    Morning,

It's been a while. Busy week with it being half term. £20 pocket money left to last until 15th oops. I signed up to the National Trust £9 per month for me and DP and the boys go free. We went to a beautiful park earlier in the week and are going to a stately home today that has lots of bits for kids. I think it'll save us money on days out with the boys. Picnic half prepped so should hopefully only spend money on ice cream and a fridge magnet. I like to get a new one when we go to new places.

I had a meeting with my boss to discuss my flexible working application it went really well. She said any holiday I take before coming back will be on full pay as I was full time before mat leave so we've moved 4 weeks to the start so I'll be getting a months full pay. I already have the childminder booked in for the last two weeks so may have a chat with her and see if she will do one day one week and then two the next to ease the boys in. Ideally I'd like to push her back two weeks but I've already pushed her back two and don't want to annoy her. I will be able to get the house sorted we have a few areas that are just dumping areas with toys etc so would be good to have time to sort them so maybe it'll work out ok. Even with paying childcare we'll have more money in the end anyway so may just keep them I don't want to annoy her. I may be able to squeeze in another kit day too so that's another £100.

Ds'a birthday on 29th I need to have a root through my wardrobe and look at what presents I've been stashing away for his as I really can't remember. No party this year just a few nice days out with family. I have placed a muscle food order for payday I've never ordered from them before so we shall see I only really ever cook DP chicken so it'll make me be more adventurous in the kitchen. There were a few bbq bits so may have a BBQ for a few family members near ds's birthday and get him a little cake and balloons so he feels like he's had a party.

I also placed an approved foods order last night I've been wanting to try them for a while and there was a free delivery code and £5.77 cashback. Food account is empty but so are the cupboards so this should fill them up for a while. I need nappies so will pop to Aldi on the way home today and grab a few fresh bits to last until payday.

Looking forward to loans payments coming out this month as it will take me to 40% cleared. Whoop! X
    boys savings £

Family loan £7000/£5425
  • hannahroberts1985
    Options
    Feeling very poor and meh today! Just totted up accounts and we are about £170 over which should be the extra I come out with for kit days. So it's all fine but just feel like we've not moved forward for ages.

All plans now booked in with family for ds'a birthday it should be one pricey zoo visit then the others should be relatively cheap. I need to go in the wardrobe and see what presents I have for him. Need to pick up paper and a card then maybe a few little bits for him to open but this can come from the birthday fund.

Going to ask my boss if I can book in a few more kit days for when I'm in my 4 weeks Holiday. He will have to tell payrol I've worked them earlier so still while on mat but I'm sure he knows I'll work them. That will be some extra money in the pot. The £2000 savings need to start moving up now it's bugging me! Need to remember last may leave we were getting into debt and not moving forwards but it just seems sooooo slow! Wahhh whinge over. X
    boys savings £

Family loan £7000/£5425
  • debbie_debt
    debbie_debt Posts: 299 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi Hannah,

Just a quick hello from me as a new subscriber. I was on maternity leave Jan 15 to Jan 16 and am now expecting again Oct 17. You can see my debts in my signature :eek: and we're also hoping to buy a house asap. Things were going slow for us for a long time, but since a proper LBM in September 16, we've been putting our heart and soul into the debts and I can finally see a light at the end of the tunnel. I just wanted to say a massive well done and keep going. I will be following your journey - any tips for my next mat leave stint?? I'm hoping to carry on some self-employed work this time and keep the pennies coming in, because last time I just stuck my head in the sand and ran up more debts :mad::mad::mad: Certainly not going to be happening this time, so it will be a very different mat leave experience!!

Debbie
    HIGHEST DEBT £63,300 LBM 27/5/2020 DEBT FREE DATE 31.08.2022
  • hannahroberts1985
    Options
    Hey Debbie, wowzers look at your signature! If anyone should be asking for advice it's me?!? How have you managed that?

I didn't buy much for DS2 and had everything from DS1!
    Breastfeeding (if you can) I've just finished and am now spending £50 a month more!!
    Definitely start a diary it's a long old slow slog with minimal money coming in and I really found mine kept me focused.

So you'll have just over 2 years between your children? You'll be running back to work after I tell you ha ha! Maternity leave with just a baby is lovely.....with a baby and a toddler it's hard work. But you have to look at the positives you get to spend special time with the toddler that you wouldn't have gotten at work. Also in a few years time they will be best of friends with being so close together. Well that's what I'm hoping anyway. X
    boys savings £

Family loan £7000/£5425
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts