Tax Credits Losing Documentation

On 1st September I had a letter from tax credits saying there was a difference in my declared income and actual income so they wanted to see my final payslee for the year 2015/16. As I also have a self employed job, insent my self assessment tax return and a letter explaining my self employment (which they know already as I have the same discussion with them every year), but yesterday when I checked my online tax account, I noticed our working tax credits and child tax credits had reduced for the next payment (wtc has reduced by just over 50% and the ctc by about £3).

I phoned tax credits this morning and they told me my payments haven't reduced and the payments on my online account are 'additional payments'.

However, I then received a letter in today's post saying that they've not received a response to their letter on 1st September so they have adjusted my income for that year (to about £4000 more than my actual income).

I have checked the tracking details for the information I sent them and they did receive it about 4 weeks ago, so I'm just wondering what I can do now. We are really going to struggle if my payments have been reduced because I now only earn £500 a month, and we rely on tax credits as a family which is why I sent them my tax return as quickly as I could.

How likely are they to want me to re-send the information I sent them previously and is there anything I can do in the meantime to get the payments increased back to why they should be?

Comments

• Darksparkle
    Darksparkle Posts: 5,465 Forumite
    Call them and tell them you sent it already, provide tracking details/dates etc.

Update an estimate for the current year's income if you haven't already done so.
  • Thanks darksparkle. Thankfully I keep all these documents backed up so can easily resend it but just worried about how we'll cope if they have reduced the payments. I did rig them when I lost my job and gave them my new income estimate so that is what tax credits upto now have been based on.

Guess I'll just have to wait and see what I get paid on Monday and ring them about this letter I've had....hate the way these letters always come when you can't speak to someone.
  • On 1st September I had a letter from tax credits saying there was a difference in my declared income and actual income so they wanted to see my final payslee for the year 2015/16. As I also have a self employed job, insent my self assessment tax return and a letter explaining my self employment (which they know already as I have the same discussion with them every year), but yesterday when I checked my online tax account, I noticed our working tax credits and child tax credits had reduced for the next payment (wtc has reduced by just over 50% and the ctc by about £3).

I phoned tax credits this morning and they told me my payments haven't reduced and the payments on my online account are 'additional payments'.

However, I then received a letter in today's post saying that they've not received a response to their letter on 1st September so they have adjusted my income for that year (to about £4000 more than my actual income).

I have checked the tracking details for the information I sent them and they did receive it about 4 weeks ago, so I'm just wondering what I can do now. We are really going to struggle if my payments have been reduced because I now only earn £500 a month, and we rely on tax credits as a family which is why I sent them my tax return as quickly as I could.

How likely are they to want me to re-send the information I sent them previously and is there anything I can do in the meantime to get the payments increased back to why they should be?

Hi, Have you checked to see if your information is with the right department/office/person ? IMO 4 weeks is not a long time in Goverment Offices to up date records or for a letter to be sent out before one received
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure