PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Preparing for winter III

Comments

• nikki2804
    nikki2804 Posts: 2,670 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I am reasonably ok with my prep, but need to give the windows a last good clean before the winter, was so embarassed when I saw how dirty they were the other evening. Downside is that I am so busy at the moment, that the only suitable time will be about 6 on Sunday morning, which just clashes with a crucial rugby match down under :( May get a chance tomorrow, but certainly don't want to be doing it in the heat!

Between two cats and a toddler my windows are pretty disgusting. I keep meaning to clean them but theres always huge spiders on them and they make me feel physically sick. Can't even get a window cleaner because im mid terraced so he couldnt get round to do the back :(.

Start work in 53 minutes and I really cannot be bothered getting off my bum to go in. On a little 3 hour shift tonight, then 8 hours tomorrow :(.
  • Uniscots97
    Uniscots97 Posts: 6,685 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    My preparing for winter has been finally getting OH to give up smoking (which meant him standing at the back door and leaving others open and moaning it was cold yet not putting a jumper on or shutting doors), and him now realising how much heat he was letting escape from the house.
    CC2 = £8687.86 ([STRIKE]£10000[/STRIKE] )CC1 = £0 ([STRIKE]£9983[/STRIKE] ); Reusing shopping bags savings =£5.80 vs spent £1.05.Wine is like opera. You can enjoy it even if you don't understand it and too much can give you a headache the next day J
  • Confuzzled
    Confuzzled Posts: 2,323 Forumite
    unixgirluk wrote: »
    My preparing for winter has been finally getting OH to give up smoking (which meant him standing at the back door and leaving others open and moaning it was cold yet not putting a jumper on or shutting doors), and him now realising how much heat he was letting escape from the house.

well done on that front, you'll be saving money in two ways this winter now! :T
  • adelight
    adelight Posts: 2,658 Forumite
    It might be sunny now but it'll be snowing before you can say "frozen pipes" :p

I'm working on making a big stock of dried fruit while fruit is cheap. I also hate food shopping in the winter, carrying home bags of apples in the rain and snow isn't fun! I also find dried fruit much more appealing than fresh in winter, dehydrated apple goes just as well in porridge as fresh does.
    Living cheap in central London :rotfl:
  • Sunnyday
    Sunnyday Posts: 3,855 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Thanks LADY DEE ! I ordered the hot water bottles earlier too, less than £4 for two with free delivery so i`m pleased :D

It was 25 degrees here when i asked DH if he wanted one and he just stared at me in disbelief :rotfl:

I did tell him that it had to be now or never as they were so cheap and that he couldn`t borrow mine as i would be using it :D

He decided that he wanted one after all :D

Its still too warm to move here and i`m worn out, i`ve spent hours in the greenhouse and i daren`t even think what the temperature in there must have been, i still need to cut the grass but that will have to wait as i`m headed for the shower shortly. The kitchen is full of tomatoes, colanders, pans and huge bowls of them all over the place, there are also loads in the fridge and i have lots of dried ones too as i have done quite a few batches in the excalibur. I need to look up some recipes later :D

SD
    Planning on starting the GC again soon :p
  • I have finished my first scarf! It was knitted on beginners wool but I am still proud of myself!

Typical that it is super hot and sunny today!
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Well its still tipping down heres and so dark now the lights are on

And Im soaked after a trip to the garden centre - but with a 30% sale and a lot of patio to be filled plus a small gravel garden to build - a fruitful day

Now does anyone remember the old paraffin heaters that were used in greenhouses and does anyone know where to order online? We lost a lot of wonderful plants last winter even though we took them into the greenhouse and fleeced them. Still seeing as the oil froze no wonder the plants didnt come through unscathed. Any other tips anyone can share? Having lived in the south of England for so long, this NI weather takes a bit of getting used to
  • suki not sure if you can still get them - have you tried to google them - maybe an online ironmonger?
    Peace will be mine
    could do better - must try harder
    Live each day as if its your last
    DFW Nerd #1000 Proud to be dealing with my debts

• De lurking to say greenhouse heaters are available on Amazon, from Harrods Horticulture and greenhouse suppliers like Greenhouses direct.
    prices vary considerably and I can't recommend any supplier as I've been looking for myself
    HTH
  • Grimbal
    Grimbal Posts: 2,334 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Lavandula wrote: »
    Have a glut of tomatoes at the moment, so may have a go at Tomato Chutney (although I've never made it before....any tips would be appreciated).

:)

I always use this one (with either green or red tomatoes). It's so easy & after a month or so of maturing is absolutely delicious!
    "Science is a wonderful thing if one does not have to earn one's living at it" Einstein 1951
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure