PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Turning Plain Flour into Self Raising

Comments

• kiwichick
    kiwichick Posts: 1,857 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I just add 1tsp baking powder to 1cup plain flour
    WW Start Weight 18/04/12 = 19st 11lbs
    Weight today = 17st 6.5lbs
    Loss to date 32.5lbs!!!
  • demented_2
    demented_2 Posts: 455 Forumite
    Just wanted to say thank you.
    Hi all of you that replied to my senior moment. The poorly dog has cheered up after having some Liver cake, well a couple of bits, and the OH has been eating a piece of Fruit cake and not whinged too much about the Vet Bill, he actually said "munching on his bit of cake "" well it could have been worse.. i don't know whether he meant my cooking or the money side of things, anyway thanks to you lot all 3 of us are happyish.
    3 cheers for Money Saving Old Style.:T :T :T
    20p savers club
    before joining had nothing
    joined on 19/03
    now have £40.00 saved :j :j :j
    saving to pay off debts Debts now paid off. Yeah.
    Amazon sellers club member 31
  • mossstar
    mossstar Posts: 170 Forumite
    kiwichick wrote:
    I just add 1tsp baking powder to 1cup plain flour

That's what I do now - you don't get 'self raising' flour here in NZ do you?! I can't believe how easy it is - seems silly now to have been buying seperate flour all those years in the UK! I LOVE the big sacks of flour you get here too!

x
  • AussieLass
    AussieLass Posts: 4,066 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    We get SR flour over here. How strange. Hope you are enjoying life over in NZ Mosstar.
    Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia. ;)

• mossstar
    mossstar Posts: 170 Forumite
    Maybe you CAN find it here then? I haven't exactly scoured NZ for it, not since finding out about the 'one cup flour, 1 t/s baking powder' thing :D

We're learning to love NZ, but we're still just as skint as we always where :rotfl: (food etc. is more expensive here than in the UK).

x
  • AussieLass
    AussieLass Posts: 4,066 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I'm sure you would have seen it if it was. It's usually right next to the plain flour. ;) I usually buy both as it's the same price so less mucking around. In summer you might be wise to buy in the smaller bags like 2kg and put your flour in the freezer away from the weevils & moths. :rolleyes:

The cost of living is a lot higher than Oz and wages are a bit lower but I think the majority everywhere does it tough. The houses here are probably more exp. So it all evens out. I think NZ also is a bit cooler in summer. Lucky you. :p DH has just woken up (he's doing nite shift this week) so I better get lunch. Bye for now.
    Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia. ;)

• Hi folks, Am trying to bake some fairy cakes with the kiddies but I only have Plain Flour. Can I add baking powder to make it into self-raising? And if so, how much?
    Thanks
    Made it - 15 years married!! Finally!! xx:beer:
  • kethry
    kethry Posts: 1,044 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    yes you can:

"To make self-raising flour, add 1tsp of baking power to 200g / 8oz plain flour."

found here.

have fun!

keth
    xx
  • Hi, the rate is 3 tsp per 8oz flour for sponge cakes - there is a handy table on the back of my baking powder tub - Supercook
    “the princess jumped from the tower & she learned that she could fly all along. she never needed those wings.”
    Amanda Lovelace, The Princess Saves Herself in this One
  • gerturdeanna
    gerturdeanna Posts: 4,350 Forumite
    Thanks everyone!!
    Made it - 15 years married!! Finally!! xx:beer:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income