Is MSE Credit Club as good as Experian?

I signed up to Experian a few years ago after a new CC was intercepted, activated and used, so I signed up to Experian for some safety.

Have since seen about MSE’s own Credit Club, it mentions it uses Experian. So is it a no brainier to switch?

Got no complaints with Experian but if I can save £10 a month, even better!

Comments

• zzzt
    zzzt Posts: 407 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I've used both and from what I can see MSE Credit Club gives you the exact same credit score and exact same credit report that Experian would have.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Yes its the same as Experian, it takes the data from Experian including tue score although not sure whats the point since the score isn't seen by anyone else other than the users of the credit club.
  • Yes.

Though I always seem to have a circa 100 point difference in score between MSE and Experian Credit Matcher - not that I pay attention to either :)
  • longwalks1
    longwalks1 Posts: 3,734 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Thanks all, just getting round to sorting things out, and Experian is going up to £14.95 a month now, so definitely time to leave them I think. Do you still get new account or search alerts with the MSE club checker?
  • No as it!!!8217;s only updated monthly
  • longwalks1
    longwalks1 Posts: 3,734 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    !!! wrote: »
    No as it!!!8217;s only updated monthly

Thanks Gary, just signed up to it, had a quick look around it and it looks impressive (and its £15 a month cheaper than Experian).

Wasnt sure if it flagged searches on your record (such as using a comparison site for insurance quotes etc), guess I will find out when the car insurance is due for renewal
  • Craig1981
    Craig1981 Posts: 769 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    pretty much the same - only difference i have seen is that the freebie sites like moneyclub, Noddle, and Clearscore update your report once a month - the pay for sites will update several times and when requested
  • Searches will show, yes. But only once the monthly anniversary is hit and the report updates. It!!!8217;s not real time.

GiffGaff!!!8217;s report (which is CallCredit) updates each time you login - so technically real time
  • britishboy wrote: »
    Wasnt sure if it flagged searches on your record (such as using a comparison site for insurance quotes etc), guess I will find out when the car insurance is due for renewal
    You don't get any alerts at all. MSE CreditClub is just a once monthly snapshot of your Experian credit file and score.
    I work within the voluntary sector, supporting vulnerable people to rebuild their lives.

I love my job

:smiley:
  • PRAISETHESUN
    PRAISETHESUN Posts: 3,701 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Craig1981 wrote: »
    pretty much the same - only difference i have seen is that the freebie sites like moneyclub, Noddle, and Clearscore update your report once a month - the pay for sites will update several times and when requested

This is somewhat of a moot point though as many banks/credit agencies only report to the credit reference agencies once a month anyway. Biggest advantage of the paid versions is real-time alerts when applications are made, which can help in detecting instances of fraud.

If you are just after your reports, then the free versions are basically the same as the paid ones IMO... no sense in paying for something you can get for free
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure