Help for 51 year old

2»

Comments

• Gemsy81
    Gemsy81 Posts: 182 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    No, we have a partnership, not a limited company - so no, we are not employees.
  • atush
    atush Posts: 18,726 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Do you use an accountant? It could well be worth you becoming an LLC
  • andy001
    andy001 Posts: 119 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Gemsy81 wrote: »
    No, we have a partnership, not a limited company - so no, we are not employees.
    I wonder if you could pay money towards pension from your partnership (for employees-that you both!). ??
    I'm not a Financial advisor.
    Please seek independent financial advice.
  • Too true. I was 38 and realised I hadn't done very much pension saving. Some friends helped switch on the "lightbulb". I was fortunate to join a company with a DB scheme but I still opted for max accrual rate (costing me 13% of my salary). I also topped this up by paying into AVCs a toal of 30% then later 50% of my salary. At first it was painful, I had lodgers to help with my mortgage, I started a small business that provided extra income but after a while, I just got used to my level of income and lived within it.

22 years later, I am 60 and can see the benefit of that so I would say the OP still has a chance but it is going to take a serious onward commitment to achieve anything decent.

Fag packet sums. If a decent pension is say, £2k a month (£24k a year), the state should provide £8k of that, so you need £16k additional. If you believe in 4% drawdown, then you'll need a pot of £400k at retirement.

You need to save around £1,200 a month to achieve that. If you are a high rate tax payer, the good news is that will cost you "only" £700 a month in lost income. Can you afford that?

There are plenty of spreadsheets online to help you work out your needs now and in retirement. The SOA forms here help too. Do two, one for now and one for how you think life will be in retirement to gain an idea of your needs.

I have many friends from middle management type jobs, now retired and they all seem to say around £2k a month is needed for a comfortable retirement, holidays abroad, replacement (not new) car every few years.

If your income is lower, then you just have to do what you can, but as dunstonh says, you have to take it seriously.

Mutton... Very interesting... In particular the feedback about your retired middle management friends saying £2k a month is fine. Is this "take home" amount and is that for a couple? This is the sort of figure I am working toward! Thanks for any insight you can give
  • Esox
    Esox Posts: 25 Forumite
    skycatcher wrote: »
    Mutton... Very interesting... In particular the feedback about your retired middle management friends saying £2k a month is fine. Is this "take home" amount and is that for a couple? This is the sort of figure I am working toward! Thanks for any insight you can give
    ...even as a net figure, sounds a bit tight to support a couple for the described lifestyle and would presumably have to be mortgage and dependant free?
  • crv1963
    crv1963 Posts: 1,372 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Esox wrote: »
    ...even as a net figure, sounds a bit tight to support a couple for the described lifestyle and would presumably have to be mortgage and dependant free?

This is the figure we are aiming for, mortgage free and dependent free hopefully. We worked out our living cost- over estimated the bills, allowed ourselves to have 12 months outgoings as a reserve for either major repairs or a market crash that means stopping drawdown for a year. We may try to build it to 18 months reserve in case both happen at once!

With reduced costs of not working, not having to commute, buy lunches/ coffee/ inevitable "collections"/ ongoing professional fees etc, we reckon 2k pm is a reasonable aim for a comfortable but not extravagant retirement.
    CRV1963- Light bulb moment Sept 15- Planning the great escape- aka retirement!
  • skycatcher
    skycatcher Posts: 330 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Esox wrote: »

Mortgage and debt free and kids off the books but as a couple and will have £250k cash/investments on a final salary ps. Hope it will not but be too tight... But would like reassuring before taking the plunge
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure