Debt free by 2018

124»

Comments

• enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,594 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    I am glad the pots system works for you. It always did for me too and I knew if I overspent on one pot I could take it from another. I use clear checkbook (this is free) which uses the envelope system like YNAB but I think it is simpler and does not take as much time to get to grips with.

Once the debt is gone you will soon save up that house deposit.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • ljj1986
    ljj1986 Posts: 41 Forumite
    I am glad the pots system works for you. It always did for me too and I knew if I overspent on one pot I could take it from another. I use clear checkbook (this is free) which uses the envelope system like YNAB but I think it is simpler and does not take as much time to get to grips with.

Once the debt is gone you will soon save up that house deposit.

I love the pots system, gives me the flexibility of adding to my personal pot for the rare treat. I've just created my own spreadsheets on excel, I absolutely love my spreadsheets! I have right from 2017 through to 2021 spends when I am aiming to buy my house! I will have a look into checkbook though, thanks for the tip.

I currently have £3600 in my help to buy ISA so will get 25% bonus from the government on that too, I've also restarted my monthly transfers over so trying to clear debts whilst also saving £200 a month where I can, if I get desperate then I know I have that to fall back on but I know I won't touch it being in there unless I absolutely have to.
    LBM 15/03/17=£7586.01 DFD April 2019.Debt Today: £6499.34 (DFD Apr 19)
    Target £0 Debt by Dec 2018 Highest debt: £12,242.84 (May16)
  • enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,594 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    I love spreadsheets too. I have one for savings (projections) and one for pensions and update them yearly and one where I record our yearly spends on each category(pot) which was useful when planning retirement so I knew how much we needed to get from our pensions/savings.

You seem so organised and great discipline to have a help to buy isa but not touch it. Normally people say use savings to pay off debt but I think Help to Buy is different because of the government incentive. As your loans are on a low interest rate and credit card 0% then it makes sense to keep it separate for now.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • ljj1986
    I love spreadsheets too. I have one for savings (projections) and one for pensions and update them yearly and one where I record our yearly spends on each category(pot) which was useful when planning retirement so I knew how much we needed to get from our pensions/savings.

You seem so organised and great discipline to have a help to buy isa but not touch it. Normally people say use savings to pay off debt but I think Help to Buy is different because of the government incentive. As your loans are on a low interest rate and credit card 0% then it makes sense to keep it separate for now.

Thank you, I'm just so determined to get out of rented accommodation (if I can get a mortgage on my own) and I know I am going to need a huge deposit. With the government incentive and at around 3% interest I don't feel that it makes any sense using it towards debts, I also wouldn't be able to reach the maximum of £12k to get £3k bonus if I transferred it to my debts with the limits on the account.

You sound much more organised than me, I seriously need to start thinking about a pension, I have absolutely nothing in place for that at the moment :eek:
  • ljj1986
    Well I have had to take £85 from my car pot that was being saved for my insurance due in September thanks to a minor problem with my car, going to have to get on with selling to try and replenish this. Next year I will have much more time to save the whole premium as it will be the full year rather than part way through.

Food/groceries budget will go over again, I think I am going to have to admit that this pot just has to be a little bigger than I would like and see where I can make changes elsewhere although I have been buying extra bits for picnics that I wouldn't usually buy. I think this is completely because I'm not planning in that department, I start with good intentions but I just cannot stick to a meal plan!
  • ljj1986
    Dug out my paperwork for my card, can anyone clarify if the account began in April 2016 and it states 0% for 19 months would this mean my balance would need to be cleared by the same date in November or December?

No big updates although I am getting a lot of clarity on my spending, people say all the time how little things add up but tracking every single penny with my pot system really shows me just how much. I have had to amend a couple of pots as I was a little too ambitious initially and after a couple of months both my food and fuel for my car pot were running at a minus so I have adjusted these. My target for July is to work on the amount I spend on food, I have put in an order for meat which should arrive Friday to last throughout the whole of July so I should only need to buy fruit, veg and milk, I am considering putting a weekly order in for these too as then I wouldn't have to go to the store ever which I think is my downfall as I start thinking about other things I might need.
  • ljj1986
    Feeling proud of myself today, used one of my credit cards for a couple of things a few days ago and instead of leaving it there and thinking 'oh I will pay it next month' or 'oh a little more won't hurt and I'll sort it out along with the rest of my debt payments' I actually took the amounts from each related pot and paid it all off. Feeling like I am in a much better place at the moment even with my overspends with a couple of things.
  • ljj1986
    Have been off a little over the last week and so a little damage has been done on my credit card, I am waiting on one thing to clear so I can report figures.

I am back at it today though, I have another card which I don't currently use which I received a balance transfer offer for, 0% until April 2019 with a 2.9% fee. My credit limit was fairly low on this card, I have just managed to increase it so that I can transfer my whole balance across once I have my final figure in a day or two. This will incur a fee of around the £30 mark but with overpayments to my loan now possible I should be able to get this back from savings on my interest on my loans. Worst case scenario, I don't make overpayments but won't have to worry about paying money back by November at a relatively small cost.

Will report debt figures at some point in the next few days.
  • ljj1986
    Ok so total damage:

Loan 1: 2487.43 (-135 tomorrow after interest)
    Loan 2: 2669.10 (+20ish tomorrow interest)
    CC 1: 286.52 (0% until Oct/Nov)
    CC 2: 1090.74 (0% Until May 2019)

Total: 6533.79

Very disappointed in myself for going back over the 6500 mark although I did incur a £30 fee for transferring a chunk of my balance over to the 0% offer. It will go back below this mark tomorrow once loan 1 payment has been taken. I left some on CC 1 to push me to clear extra before christmas. I have been a little off track for a few weeks so this damage could have been worse.

I set myself a swagbucks challenge in July to hit 31 days of hitting my daily goal which I have achieved! For July I have managed to put around £70 into my amazon account to go towards christmas just from swagbucks, if I can keep this up throughout the next 4/5 months then that will be all christmas and birthdays sorted for the year.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure