VERY Cheap glasses and specs - made to order.

Comments

• Lillibet_2
    Lillibet_2 Posts: 3,364 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I received my Glassesdirect specs last week, very pleased with the quality & fit of them. The only drawback was the turn around itime : 28 days due to the volume of orders, however, I got a eye infectin on day 20 of my order & had to take my contact lenses out, I called Glasses Direct & explained & they couried my completed specs to me the next day at no extra cost!
    Would definately recommend them & would use again :)
    Post Natal Depression is the worst part of giving birth:p

In England we have Mothering Sunday & Father Christmas, Mothers day & Santa Clause are American merchandising tricks:mad: Demonstrate pride in your heirtage by getting it right please people!
  • purplepatch
    purplepatch Posts: 2,534 Forumite
    I have emailed them a few time saying how desperate I am as am having to wear contacts full time which my eyes are not used to. The best they can offer is that the specs will "hopefully" be with me beginning of next week - so that will be about 21 working days.

Remains to be seen if that happens.

They have been apologetic and helpful etc, promising to chase their factory daily etc, but even so, I think it is pretty excessive especially when like bargain babe says, they took the money as soon as the order was placed >:(
  • the_cat
    the_cat Posts: 2,176 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    be very VERY careful with this - i ordered some and triple checked the prescription i sent them. when they arrived they had been made up to the wrong one and were useless - i complained but they just said i must be have input the orderwrong and have ignored subsequent e-mails >:( >:(
  • purplepatch
    purplepatch Posts: 2,534 Forumite
    My glasses finally arrived on Friday after a 3 week wait :)

Only trouble is they forgot the high index lenses that I ordered ::)

As the glasses looked ok with the regular lenses (my prescription is -5 ish) and I only wear them at home, I decided to keep them anyway and they refunded the cost of the high index.

Just be aware that if you ordered high index and you think they look quite thick, double check it with them as I think it is due to a fault on the website.

So, not overly impressive service all in all, but the glasses I've received are exceptional value for only £15 plus VAT.
  • Perhaps they're still overwhelmed after the publicity. I mailed GlassesDirect for a quote 48 hours ago but still await a reply. Interestingly enough I mailed another crowd - BargainSpecs.com - for the same thing yesterday and haven't heard from them either.

I've now tried the Hong Kong mob. If they don't respond I guess I'm off to the optician to part with £200.
  • redfox
    redfox Posts: 15,338 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Just to add my twopennorth - I got two pairs of single vision glasses with tints from optical4less in HK for £38 inc. delivery for both!

Not only was I totally amazed by the cost (last time I needed two pairs and bought from a high street optician I ended up over £190 poorer!) but the delivery time was swift and the glasses are excellent.

At £15-ish a pair (if you don't have tint) you don't have much to lose if you try them anyway - they could always be used as a back up set. :)
  • Just to say that a similar thread to this went on a couple of months ago and I went to the opticals4less website and bought a pair of rimless and a pair of bendable - if you buy two pairs of glasses or more, the shipping of US$8 is free - US$39 for rimless US$59 for bendable, so £53 for two pairs of glasses with delivery. I have been very happy with them. They will also do adjustments to the frames etc if you ask them to. The nice thing is that they have actual size pop ups of their glasses so you can compare them to your old pairs.
    'Imagine something inspiring that somebody once said to you and go out there and win!'
  • Agent_C
    Agent_C Posts: 565 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Does anyone know what the usual sort of limit on prescription strength is on sites like these? I'm about -13 with severe astigmatism and I can't imagine that I'll get a pair for £15...  ;) Glasses Direct has this in the FAQ: "My prescription is outside the listed available range
    Special orders, like very high prescriptions are handled on a case-by-case basis"

But I can't find details of the 'listed available range' anywhere. Perhaps I should have put my specs on eh...  ::)
  • Does anyone know what the usual sort of limit on prescription strength is on sites like these? I'm about -13 with severe astigmatism and I can't imagine that I'll get a pair for £15... ;) Glasses Direct has this in the FAQ: "My prescription is outside the listed available range
    Special orders, like very high prescriptions are handled on a case-by-case basis"

But I can't find details of the 'listed available range' anywhere. Perhaps I should have put my specs on eh... ::)

This info on the optical4less website may help - http://optical4less.com/index.cgi?mode=lensdes
  • Agent_C
    Agent_C Posts: 565 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary

This info on the optical4less website may help - http://optical4less.com/index.cgi?mode=lensdes

Cheers - looks like it would be another $99 dollars for the complex lenses on the Optical4less site - still cheaper than the opticians but not that much cheaper. Curse my genes!  :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure