Metacam Alternative

Hi,

Our 17 year old collie/lurcher has been on Metacam for nearly two years. last summer we ran out and couldn't afford more till the end of them month and noticed a downturn in her mobility and general happiness within the week. So we borrowed some money to get her back onto it asap.

She also developed a wet cerisis(sp?) which causes her to scratch, lick and mouth at her sides and rear. The vet said we could only treat either the cerisis or give her the metacam due to the medicines conflicting. after taking advice from the vet we continued with the metacam as she still has a real lust for life - and the park.

Two months ago we were in a similar position again and mentioned it to someone we see down the park with their dog regularly. They suggested cod liver oil having had success with their dog.

we bought a big bottle of boots own cod liver oil for £5 (matacam ahd been costing £35 a bottle), have been giving her a teaspoon a day on her food and you could not tell that we had stopped the metacam. after two month with cod liver oil and no metacam she is not only as active, happy and lively as before but her cerisis has cleared up too.

maybe worth a try if you are paying out for metacam, but i don't want to be responsible for any dogs suffering so consult your vet first please ;)
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits

Comments

• JennyW_2
    JennyW_2 Posts: 1,888 Forumite
    Hi,

Our 17 year old collie/lurcher has been on Metacam for nearly two years. last summer we ran out and couldn't afford more till the end of them month and noticed a downturn in her mobility and general happiness within the week. So we borrowed some money to get her back onto it asap.

She also developed a wet cerisis(sp?) which causes her to scratch, lick and mouth at her sides and rear. The vet said we could only treat either the cerisis or give her the metacam due to the medicines conflicting. after taking advice from the vet we continued with the metacam as she still has a real lust for life - and the park.

Two months ago we were in a similar position again and mentioned it to someone we see down the park with their dog regularly. They suggested cod liver oil having had success with their dog.

we bought a big bottle of boots own cod liver oil for £5 (matacam ahd been costing £35 a bottle), have been giving her a teaspoon a day on her food and you could not tell that we had stopped the metacam. after two month with cod liver oil and no metacam she is not only as active, happy and lively as before but her cerisis has cleared up too.

maybe worth a try if you are paying out for metacam, but i don't want to be responsible for any dogs suffering so consult your vet first please ;)

my dog is on metacam for arthritis. He's always had fish oil in his diet but it's definitely not been a cure to help with his joints. I have spoken with my vet about CLO and he said you need to watch the vitamin D levels.

If you did need to purchase metacam again, you can get it cheaper over the internet compared to your vet. All you would need to do is download one of prescription forms from the website, get your vet to sign it off and send it to the internet company.

However something is working for your dog so that's good :) Some things work and some don't, I bought a bioflow collar for my dog as I'd heard such good things about them but unfortunately it didn't make any difference for my dog.
  • orlao
    orlao Posts: 1,090 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    "Petmeds is not allowed to promote prescription medications. However, some brands of prescription medications contain the exact same contents and even come in the same size, but vary in price. As an example, Metacam and Meloxidyl. Speak to your vet to see if you could be saving more money"

Have a look at this in Petmeds newsletter......they seem to be saying that they are the same thing....meloxidyl is about £14 instead of £23.50 for metacam so might be worth mentioning to your vet...they'll already have the hump cos you've asked for a prescription if they're anything like mine;)

x
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport