MSE News: Waitrose to scrap "confusing" offer

Options

Comments

• POPPYOSCAR
    POPPYOSCAR Posts: 14,897 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Doc_N wrote: »
    That's not happening here, but there isn't a problem with it because it's not in the centre. However, Waitrose being Waitrose, I'd hazard a guess that the decision they've made could be reopened with a little persuasion from the right people. They're usually very sensitive to charges that they're damaging local High Streets and other retailers.

I spoke to one of the managers.

His attitude was very arrogant and could see no problem with the £10 minimum.

I used to love Waitrose but they are changing. They no longer have a bread slicer They cut down the bakery to put a sushi counter in and the menu in the cafe has been severely reduced.Half the time the machines are not working in the cafe as well.The cafe is nowhere as busy as it used to be.

We have started to shop more in Sainsbury, no restrictions on parking we can get a fresh loaf sliced and Nectar points.
  • unrecordings
    Options
    My guess is that they might have been forced to scrap the PYO offers. I loved it, but it had some problem items that rarely discounted and my partner's card rarely worked at all.

I got my letter in the post today. Looks like Waitrose are following the f**k the planet trend by replacing a purely online paperless system with one consisting of a multitude of bits of paper and leaflets stapled with staples and glued with petroleum based gum. All sent through the post to persuade me to buy stuff that they know I'm not interested in because they have my spending habits for the last two years

Now to the vouchers. A third of them are pointless. They all last approx three weeks (though I daresay when they were printed it was one month). The other 2/3 are clearly based on my 'favourites' which is good. It's a fixed amount of money off, and the voucher does not specify a brand, so for example you get money off 'toilet roll' not the specific brand that is your favourite or pictured on the voucher. Nothing in the T&Cs clarify this so you have the option in my opinion. Also, it looks like until 28th Feb you can use these vouchers AND the PYO offers

PYO was a handy little scheme, even with the foibles, no brainpower involved apart from remembering what you like to buy. Even after 18 months of chemo I can still do that.

Why am I in this handcart and where are we going ?
  • Doc_N
    Doc_N Posts: 8,270 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    On the subject of vouchers, I’ve found them well worth having. We shop so little at Waitrose these days, now that Aldi have really upped their game, that the inactivity generates fairly regular quite generous vouchers.

£8 off a £40 spend still doesn’t bring the prices anywhere near Aldi prices, but it’s a useful discount against those very few items that can only be found at Waitrose.

The new-style Aldis and Lidls are really going to hurt Waitrose though. They’re very obviously designed to target upmarket shoppers, they’re succeeding, and Aldi’s new acceptance of Amex is for a very good reason.
  • MissG80
    MissG80 Posts: 44 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I just had a letter from them offering me £2 off loo roll and £1 off yoghurts, plus a load of £4 off £40 vouchers. Useless to me as I never spent more than £40 there in one go, but I did shop there for a handful of basics every week all at 20% off. It's right opposite me so was super convenient. Annoying...the Waitrose effect is wearing off on me but I suppose all good things come to an end.
  • MissG80
    MissG80 Posts: 44 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    They put signs up at my Waitrose to remind everyone that there is number plate recognition and you can get a fine if you exceed two hours. £10 min spend seems a bit harsh on those popping by.
  • ThemeOne
    ThemeOne Posts: 1,471 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    For me, there's little incentive to shop in Waitrose without their pick your own 20% off, unless the personalised vouchers turn out to be wonderful which I doubt - they're usually time limited anyway.
  • A._Badger
    A._Badger Posts: 5,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    ThemeOne wrote: »
    For me, there's little incentive to shop in Waitrose without their pick your own 20% off, unless the personalised vouchers turn out to be wonderful which I doubt - they're usually time limited anyway.

It is likely to be similar to the Sainsbury's scheme and that definitely suffers from time limits. I have a long drive to get to any supermarkets, so tend to 'binge shop' when I do. Coupons trying to draw me back a week or so later are of little use.

As for what their coupons will be offering, it's not clear at all. Sainsbury's does track previous purchases and offers paltry Nectar points on selected items you've bought before. It will be interesting to see if Waitrose follows suit. One thing is sure - I could do without Waitrose a lot easier than I could do without Aldi!
  • BigNick
    Options
    Well, vouchers have arrived and at first looked relevant to my shopping, then turned them over to read the t&c's: Limited to one voucher per transaction. That's right, asWaitrose listened to us and apparently we told them we would really rather not save £10+ per shop, preferring 50p instead or the inconvenience of having to put through several smaller transactions at the till. But that defeats the point of signing up for a card in the first place doesn't it?!
  • mon37
    mon37 Posts: 416 Forumite
    edited 9 February 2018 at 12:46AM
    Options
    Has anyone noticed their machine coffee now comes only as a half cup? Looks like they are making their savings with their free coffee as well. I bet it also is going to end soon.
  • redfox
    redfox Posts: 15,338 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    mon37 wrote: »
    savings at their free coffee as well. I bet it also is going to end soon.

probably because that is too confusing as well forums.moneysavingexpert.com888.gif
    yH5BAEAAAAALAAAAAABAAEAAAIBRAA7
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure