PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one (Mark Three)

Options

Comments

• Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,225 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Farway - Pastures has just started on her way north at the mention of that meal:rotfl:

I knew women had no sense of direction, she needs to head East;)
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,089 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Fab looking pie Farway - hope it tastes as good as it looks.:D
    Keep a piece hot for me would you I'm on way - should I head SE? :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
  • Hollyharvey
    Hollyharvey Posts: 1,939 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Farway wrote: »
    Now I feel I am old enough to be your father:) I used to do just that, leave in the morning, start new job following day. Factories always had big boards outside with jobs vacant. I really do feel for the young ones and anyone looking these days. Trouble is with the advent of AI I think there will be even fewer jobs around

Back to food, the PIE turned out very well. I followed recipe which was for 4, so 3/4 left. Had it with frozen chips & baked beans, with statutory brown sauce

I costed it out roughly to about £3.50, approx 88p a portion. If I made my own pastry I could cut that down

Here it is

pie-4-web1.jpg pie-4-web2.jpg
    That looks lovely! I'm going to have to make one now :). I added the page with the recipe on to 'my favourites' when it was suggested that you use that recipe. I think I'll make it at the weekend.
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    Farway wrote: »
    I knew women had no sense of direction, she needs to head East;)

Oh he's living dangerously he is:rotfl::rotfl:
  • caronc
    Options
    PN - not quoting as requested but I think you are being a bit hard on yourself. Fab blog and living well on a very low income from previous work. That's a huge plus for any employer, just depends on how you present it on a CV, think you might be missing a very strong selling point there. You might be surprised at how difficult small businesses find it to recruit for someone for 2-3 hours per week/month do to a "bit of admin" and most in my experience don't want folk with the recent IT experience 'cos the business PC is ancient and they like it that way but know to get business they need to be a bit more social media savvy:cool:. A few hours a month with a couple (or more) on "one man plus dog" type sole traders (the backbone of lots of towns) could be an ideal boost so pop your CV to them making it clear that you aren't looking for lots of hours but could make their life a bit easier.
    Otherwise if you are quite happy with your current situation just keep doing what you are doing.:)
    PS - I don't think you eat !!!! food- more snacks/pop than I would be hey I love a wine or two;)
  • Hollyharvey
    Hollyharvey Posts: 1,939 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    caronc wrote: »
    PN - not quoting as requested but I think you are being a bit hard on yourself. Fab blog and living well on a very low income from previous work. That's a huge plus for any employer, just depends on how you present it on a CV, think you might be missing a very strong selling point there. You might be surprised at how difficult small businesses find it to recruit for someone for 2-3 hours per week/month do to a "bit of admin" and most in my experience don't want folk with the recent IT experience 'cos the business PC is ancient and they like it that way but know to get business they need to be a bit more social media savvy:cool:. A few hours a month with a couple (or more) on "one man plus dog" type sole traders (the backbone of lots of towns) could be an ideal boost so pop your CV to them making it clear that you aren't looking for lots of hours but could make their life a bit easier.
    Otherwise if you are quite happy with your current situation just keep doing what you are doing.:)
    PS - I don't think you eat !!!! food- more snacks/pop than I would be hey I love a wine or two;)
    PN - I agree with this. I know of one person who is looking for someone just like you right now. She owns a hair salon which is doing ok, but doesn't know anything about computers/social media. She knows that she is getting left behind, and that most people search on Facebook or Google for salons. She is looking for someone just to do a few hours a month self-employed creating and keeping a FaceBook page and a web site updated. She takes photos of work that her and her staff are pleased with if the client agrees, and would like things like those on to showcase their work, cut she doesn't know where to start.

This sort of arrangement sounds like it would suit you, if you could get a couple of things like this.

Looking at your blog and Facebook page you clearly know what you are doing.
  • caronc
    Options
    The irony is I can do it for other people.... I just can't "do it for myself" due to quarter-heartedness and not actually having a "product/service" I'm plugging.

As for getting clients, I don't wish to get clients, due to my ASD I can't manage the relationship. I just need to be employed and left to it really :)

I can come up with a strategy and set it all up and do all the work ... just don't put me near to people :)

Oh ... and I can't bear idiots.... which is often a problem in the workplace as there's usually one half wit with a gob on. :)
    In that case staying as you are is probably the best option.:) I certainly will continue to look forward to your blog & FB updates and CFO posts on here. Sometimes change is good and sometimes it isn't. For me I certainly would have never re-discovered the joys of crumpets and fishfinger sandwiches without your input on here:D
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    caronc wrote: »
    ...For me I certainly would have never re-discovered the joys of crumpets and fishfinger sandwiches without your input on here:D

You're probably dumpling deficient too .... I'm working up to dumplings... bought new suet 2 weeks ago, although I don't always use it (and it is pricey!)... I just like to use it because that's the way I've mostly always made them, it's like a "comfort ingredient" for me.

I keep staring at my apple I bought 3-4 weeks ago and thinking "you're supposed to be an apple dumpling with custard" ... but then CBA :)

But there'll definitely be dumplings in my house in the coming cold weeks.

It's one thing having the right ingredients in ... it's getting a Round Tuit that's hard!
  • caronc
    Options
    You're probably dumpling deficient too .... I'm working up to dumplings... bought new suet 2 weeks ago, although I don't always use it (and it is pricey!)... I just like to use it because that's the way I've mostly always made them, it's like a "comfort ingredient" for me.

I keep staring at my apple I bought 3-4 weeks ago and thinking "you're supposed to be an apple dumpling with custard" ... but then CBA :)

But there'll definitely be dumplings in my house in the coming cold weeks.

It's one thing having the right ingredients in ... it's getting a Round Tuit that's hard!
    How could I have forgotten about dumplings:o:o
  • caronc
    Options
    Good morning everyone,
    It was snowing quite heavily when I went to bed last night but no sign of any this morning though my slabs look very icy. A day for many layers I think.
    My Dad is coming round for lunch day, we're having some of the soup from yesterday with crusty bread and HM Portuguese sardine pate.
    I've souvlaki pork defrosting for tonight.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback