Money for wedding gift

Comments

• Fireflyaway
    Fireflyaway Posts: 2,766 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    To answer some questions, we are paying for the hotel room ourselves. I would be really grateful if they gave us £50 because I know to them that's a sizeable amount. Even £10 really.
    I'd much rather give a gift because I agree, even if its low value, its more personal and remembered for a lot longer. They specifically asked for cash though.... I'm thinking a low cost gift to unwrap and then £50 is generous enough.
  • Marvel1
    Marvel1 Posts: 7,171 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    They should be grateful they receive a gift in the first place, the amount should not matter.

I do wonder though when people get married abroad and have a celebration back home is it a way to gain more £.
  • I just wish people didn't expect money, it's such an
    awkward thing to guage, too little and you are mean , too much and you're flash .

Personally I would buy a gift, something to keep as a reminder of the day and if they aren't grateful that's their loss .
  • ska_lover
    ska_lover Posts: 3,773 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 7 October 2017 at 8:41PM
    I'd much rather give a gift because I agree, even if its low value, its more personal and remembered for a lot longer. They specifically asked for cash though.....

It is not though, so much stuff ends up in charity shops because the B & G do not want it.

We got Six sets of ''Just married'' champagne flutes..six sets, - five of which ended up in the charity shop as they were IDENTICAL from the same cheapo place - and i have to be honest, these weren't the only presents that ended up in the charity shop.

you could say it our loss, or the lack of effort by the present giver, choice is yours lol - but either way we didn't want several of the same item and we felt a lot of people had brought whatever they could get their hands on without giving any thought. Multiple toasters etc, when we had lived together for ten years. I mean really its like people just buy any old rubbish so they have a present to inflict on someone

Wedding gifts are very samey, and boring and someone elses taste - how can you class someone else as ungrateful merely for not wanting to decorate their home in the present givers taste?
    The opposite of what you know...is also true
  • 50 sounds tight to me. I would be in the 80-100 range.
  • Marvel1
    Marvel1 Posts: 7,171 Forumite
    Considering the other post about a man separating from wife due to her disability and someone said people separate for less, it's true and now thought process, stuff the gift, save your money.

I remember a work collegaue got married, collection, cheated a few months later, 2 years later remarried, another collection, I refused to give and said I give to the first one!
  • Gavin83
    Gavin83 Posts: 8,748 Forumite
    BBH123 wrote: »
    I just wish people didn't expect money, it's such an
    awkward thing to guage, too little and you are mean , too much and you're flash .

Surely it's better to give money so they can buy what they want rather than a gift that they possibly won't like? Traditionally gifts would have been given to fill their house as they move in together but these days the vast majority live together before marriage.

I'm getting married soon so I've got this dilemma but being honest I'd probably rather have money. If everyone bought gifts I'd expect 60%+ to be stuff we'd never want. Just seems a waste. I'd probably rather people gave nothing than bring a tacky gift they'd clearly put no thought into.
  • pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,393 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Id say £50 is enough. Are people suggesting that guests should cover the cost of their food and drink? They'd hardly be 'guests' in that case.

We're preparing our Golden Wedding do, with a 'no presents' specification.

We want the company, not things and we're glad to pay for our guests' food and a drink.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    We have been invited to a wedding of friends.

I've known the bride for 10 years

I've met her partner a handful of times ( by chance at public events) she seems nice but only really exchanged pleasantries.
    I have a little feeling the partner of friend might think we are being stingy. Comes across a bit needy and dramatic.

Will your friend think you're being stingy? Why are you so concerned about what her partner may think?

Chances are you'll hardly ever see the couple after the wedding.

Give what's right for your pocket - it the partner isn't happy, that's her problem!
  • borkid
    borkid Posts: 2,475 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Car Insurance Carver!
    How about a good bottle of wine? When my son got married and people asked ( they didn't really want presents) that is what he said so that they could lay down a small cellar and then when they drank it could look back on the wedding. It didn't work out like that but they did get a few bottles of nice wine to enjoy.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure