PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

What is your charity shop bargain of the week?

Comments

• Sayschezza
    Sayschezza Posts: 744 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Sage photo easy 260 never been out of the box by the look of it as everything still in original plastic. £5.
    All that clutter used to be money
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,681 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Wish me luck! :D

Just come back from 2 weeks holiday (so suffering bargain withdrawal symptoms) and as part of the putting holiday clothes away chore, I've had a really good clear-out of clothes, bags, shoes, jewellery - think 4 shopping trolley loads (not the supermarket ones, the pull-along ones with 2 wheels).

I'm on my way to take the first load to the local Hospice shop and will check out what's new in there - as well as the other 2 charity shops nearby.
  • Miró
    Miró Posts: 6,906 Forumite
    Homepage Hero Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Have called into one chazza or another every single day this week but have managed to limit myself to a couple of things that will be useful and one that I really love.....*proud*!! :p

A taupe, scoopy necked M & S T-shirt, as new and with those sleeves that stop just above the elbow, (my favourite!) from BHF £2.29

A BNWT jade green long sleeved M & S, 'Special Collection' T-shirt, also from BHF, £2.79 (price tag said £15)

My best find.....a Phase Eight sleeveless dress, v-necked at back and front, fitted waist with a wide self-belt and a calf length circle skirt, (think 50's stylee) in a soft cotton fabric with a silky finish in grey with small pink spots. Fully lined and with a net underskirt attached too. Supposedly a size too small but fits perfectly....I feel the need for heels and a swishy Marilyn Monroe-type wiggle walk! £1.99 from the DEBRA chazza. What I love about charity shops is being able to try a style like this that I would not have dared to try if I was paying a normal shop price. Will be wearing it tomorrow if the promised heatwave happens! :D
  • Chris25
    Chris25 Posts: 12,918 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Sayschezza wrote: »
    Sage photo easy 260 never been out of the box by the look of it as everything still in original plastic. £5.

I had no idea what that was - had to look it up. Looks like you got a great bargain :)
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,681 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Mir! wrote: »

My best find.....a Phase Eight sleeveless dress, v-necked at back and front, fitted waist with a wide self-belt and a calf length circle skirt, (think 50's stylee) in a soft cotton fabric with a silky finish in grey with small pink spots. Fully lined and with a net underskirt attached too. Supposedly a size too small but fits perfectly....I feel the need for heels and a swishy Marilyn Monroe-type wiggle walk! £1.99 from the DEBRA chazza. What I love about charity shops is being able to try a style like this that I would not have dared to try if I was paying a normal shop price. Will be wearing it tomorrow if the promised heatwave happens! :D

Sounds fab and a bargain with a capital B.
    Lucky with the fit, I find Phase Eight dresses come up on the small side.

Phew!
    Managed to get home without buying anything.
    Am having a right good clearout & am going to try to only buy 'I must have it' items.
    Wish me luck. :)
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Well done on the Phase Eight bargain, Mir!! I love that brand, feminine but smart.
    Have called into one chazza or another every single day this week but have managed to limit myself to a couple of things that will be useful and one that I really love.....*proud*!! :p
    Yesterday I was supposed to be popping into the library but ended up in several chazzers instead. I challenged myself this morning as to not only did these items bring me any joy, but whether I could actually remember any of them without looking at the stash again. I'd made a mental note of spending around £22.50.

So my items were:

Chazzer 1: 2 dresses for my niece, one a white everyday tunic dress that can then be worn over trousers as she grows (provided she stays slim!) for £2, and one a very smart lined and beaded summer party dress for when she is bigger (5/6) for £3.50. I checked they can be returned should my fusspot sister reject them, but this is highly unlikely. No books.

Chazzer 2: null points.

Chazzer 3: no books, but I spotted another super smart dress for my niece for when she is considerably older (8/9) for £3 :o

Chazzer 4: 2 books at £1 each, one an anthology of plays for research purposes, and the other a Haruki Murakami Hardback Plus 2 cards @25p each.

Chazzer 5: Was a Barnados, I'd seen a new item sale sign in the window in another branch and this trip to my local was intended to be my treat! Nothing for the home but I bought 3 books at 99p each - 2 for my niece including one on mnenomics, and one an encyclopaedia of animals, and a BN looking Ted Hughes anthology), and 2 hardbacks - one a Desmond Morris for £1.99, the other a coffee table book on facial expressions co-authored by John Cleese for £1.49. I'll find it interesting, but will also use it to instil some emotional intelligence into my niece, early.

Chazzer 6: by this time my shopping bag was full to bursting, and very weighty. Yet I managed to drag myself to another shop, buy yet another dress for my niece that was just too cute to resist for £2.50. I instructed my sister to get it laundered today so she can wear it on Father's Day tomorrow. On the way out a set of jewellery caught my eye v similar to the below, but in an unusual burgundy colour, so I bought that too for £5. Definitely a want but I'll probably never use it and give it away too!

trendy-925-sterling-silver-blue-white-topaz.jpg

So my total spend was in fact £24.95, on stuff I never knew I needed :o
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • patricia50
    patricia50 Posts: 264 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I've bought quite a few bits from the chazza's this week but one of my best finds was an Emma Bridgewater mug for £1. I was really chuffed to have my first piece of EB for £1 but when I looked on eBay and saw one the same had sold for £74 I decided to part with it. I think it's a fairly rare one so needs must and all that
  • Miró
    Miró Posts: 6,906 Forumite
    Homepage Hero Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Pollycat wrote: »
    Sounds fab and a bargain with a capital B.
    Lucky with the fit, I find Phase Eight dresses come up on the small side.
    VfM4meplse wrote: »
    Well done on the Phase Eight bargain, Mir!! I love that brand, feminine but smart.

I've never had anything from Phase Eight before but I must say I'm impressed with the quality. Was just wondering where they fit into the fashion hierarchy? Are they more Hobbs, LK Bennett, Coast, Karen Millen or Monsoon, Next, M & S, Wallis, Topshop??? Their retail prices seem anything from about £55 to £150. Anyone else find their sizes are on the small side as I will deffo be looking out for this brand in the future.

'The' dress is all washed and pressed now and it's come up a treat. So pleased! :)
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    I've never had anything from Phase Eight before but I must say I'm impressed with the quality. Was just wondering where they fit into the fashion hierarchy? Are they more Hobbs, LK Bennett, Coast, Karen Millen or Monsoon, Next, M & S, Wallis, Topshop???

'The' dress is all washed and pressed now and it's come up a treat. So pleased! :)
    Phase Eight sizes I think are comparable with M&S. The hierarchy as I see it (this denotes cost rather than quality):

- Karen Millen, LK Bennett
    - Hobbs, Coast, Phase Eight, M&S Autograph (<---much of my work wardrobe)
    - Monsoon, Wallis
    - Topshop

Feel free to challenge my view!
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • Floss
    Floss Posts: 8,244 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Phase Eight dresses are always a snug size, I have always gone for the next size up (as advised by one of their salesladies, my DSiL). Maxi dresses are true to size however, as are jumpers. I always keep my eyes out for their dresses, but they often have good reductions online too.
    2021 Decluttering Awards: ⭐⭐🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇 2022 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
    2023 Decluttering Awards: 🥇 🏅🏅🥇
    2024 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills