Home address alternative for business sellers?

Hi all,

I sell on Ebay as a small business seller, but since I have no separate premises from my home, this means I have to put my home address on my listings, which makes me very uncomfortable. In particular, I'm worried that people will see "oh this guy has a some expensive electronics in his house - maybe we'll pay him a visit at 4am".

Is there any way around this? I realise that by law you can't substitute a PO box for your business address, but I've seen some 'alternative to PO box' services claiming that they are legal substitutes.

Can anyone advise on this? What is the cheapest legal option?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,184 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Hi all,

I sell on Ebay as a small business seller, but since I have no separate premises from my home, this means I have to put my home address on my listings, which makes me very uncomfortable. In particular, I'm worried that people will see "oh this guy has a some expensive electronics in his house - maybe we'll pay him a visit at 4am".

Is there any way around this? I realise that by law you can't substitute a PO box for your business address, but I've seen some 'alternative to PO box' services claiming that they are legal substitutes.

Can anyone advise on this? What is the cheapest legal option?

Thanks in advance.

Ebay require just a geographic address, but just remember that the address you give is where any returns will go back to you. You can't substitute a different return address if buyer opens a case- so just make sure whatever arrangements you make the address is capable of accepting a return.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • cashvoid121
    cashvoid121 Posts: 87 Forumite
    edited 17 February 2017 at 5:24PM
    I think it's possible to specify a separate return address to your main address - not 100% though.

EDIT: Yes, you can have a Registration Address, a Primary Postal Address (where you receive items), A Primary Post-From Address (where you post from) and a Primary Return Address (where buyers return items to). I'm not sure which is displayed on listings, but I suspect it's not the latter.
  • Anyone got a view on this?
  • martindow
    martindow Posts: 10,213 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    PO boxes will only accept post from Royal Mail. If you use other carriers they will not accept your returns.
  • It's an issue of the address given to satisfy legal obligations, not return address (which you can specify separately).
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,184 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I don't know exactly how ebay handle returns and can't see anything helpful in 'help' about having different addresses.

The only issue I can see is how to communicate the return address to the buyer to ensure they see it? You do get buyers who just send the item back tracked without warning the seller first, I've had it happen to me. You would need a robust way of letting the buyer know, before they open the parcel (my item was returned unopened) about the return address otherwise they will just use the one on the listing.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • I can see the issue there (although I've never personally had a buyer send an item back without clearing it with me first) but my worry is more with the legal/burglary issue.
  • It's only probably what you already know but start here:

https://www.out-law.com/page-431
    Scroll down to where is says "Minimum information to be provided".
    Warning: any unnecessary disclaimers appearing under my posts do not bear any connection with reality, either intended, accidental or otherwise. Your statutory rights are not affected.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure