Double Yellow Lines

Naddan
Naddan Posts: 14 Forumite
edited 16 October 2016 at 9:10AM in Motoring
I hope this is the right thread to post, apologies if not.

Myself and other residents have recently received a letter from the council requesting that we move our cars elsewhere as we are causing obstruction to the roads. They also request for those that park partially on the grass verge, which is myself, to not do so as we are causing issues with maintaining the verge (even though this is eliminating the obstruction issue). The letter goes on to say that once the road is adopted (it's currently owned by the builders) then they will be considering putting in traffic measures to stop parking which I can only assume will be yellow lines. The frustrating thing is the grass verge is wide enough to fit a car plus more so to me widening the road would be the more sensible option (although pricier option in the council's eyes) as yellow lines will only serve to move the problem elsewhere as we will still need to park so would move to neighbouring streets which are already congested due to how narrow they are.

My question is what can I do to appeal the yellow lines and convince the council to widen the roads? I just don't know where to start!

I am completely aware that the road is public property and I am not "entitled" to park there. If the council go ahead with yellow lines then so be it. I am just wanting to fight for a better solution :)

Oh and before I'm asked why I bought my house if I didn't have enough parking...I bought the house under the impression that I had a garage and a drive. I never thought to question whether a car garage could actually fit a car...turns out mine fits a small car but good luck getting the doors open! :D

Added - Oops I should have said that we have 2 cars so we already use our driveway!

Comments

• DUTR
    DUTR Posts: 12,958
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    But you have a driveway to park on.
  • GwylimT
    GwylimT Posts: 6,530
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    If the road is owned by the builders you could pay to widen the road, however this would remove an important water permeable surface.

Park on your driveway.
  • lush_walrus
    lush_walrus Posts: 1,975 Forumite
    If the development was built with scant parking that will be what the planners and the council want. A developer has little interest in providing green space, parking sells. Therefore I anticipate you will not get very far with asking them to widen the road.
  • Car_54
    Car_54 Posts: 8,180
    Forumite
    Talk to the council and find out what their thinking is, rather than trying to guess. If you don't like it, get together with your neighbours so you can present a united front. Get your local councillor(s) involved.

It's much easier to influence a decision than to change one after it's made.
  • prosaver
    prosaver Posts: 7,026
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I think it would be parking permit s more than anything. ..why, is there a need for yellow lines?
    “Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself.”
    ― George Bernard Shaw
  • chrisw
    chrisw Posts: 3,388
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    As far as I know, the council has to apply for a traffic regulation order before they can restrict the parking. This is published in the local press and you have the chance to raise objections to it. I'm not sure what constitutes a valid objection though.
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460
    Forumite
    So not content with a garage and a drive you want he council to dig up all the green space in the street so you can park on the road as well!
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    prosaver wrote: »
    I think it would be parking permit s more than anything. ..why, is there a need for yellow lines?

Because parking in the road is causing obstruction, permits wouldn't remove that obstruction but preventing parking with double yellow lines would.
  • loskie
    loskie Posts: 1,761
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    at the moment as the road is unadopted do the council have any right to tell you how to park? Surely it is none of their business.
  • Naddan
    Naddan Posts: 14 Forumite
    DUTR wrote: »
    But you have a driveway to park on.

I should have said in my original post that we do use our drive. We have 2 cars so one is parked on the drive.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure