Huawei G300 £65 from Tesco

Comments

• d40eq6
    d40eq6 Posts: 94 Forumite
    11 days later and still no phone from Isme. It's still sitting at the Yodel depot and I'm not allowed to go and collect it. Yodel have been completely useless- 2 calls to them and nothing back at all.

Finally gave up today and cancelled order with Isme. Spoke to South African call centre. Ordered a replacement to be sent out and they then processed the order twice without cancelling the original or recrediting me for postage. Further call to them this afternoon to rectify this with (this time) a UK call centre. Seems to have been resolved.

Lesson. £30 is not a lot when you have to factor in the time in dealing with incompetent companies!
  • mystic_bertie
    mystic_bertie Posts: 592 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 3 October 2012 at 4:19PM
    It's not on the Tesco Mobile site, just in store. Best thing is to ring their HQ cust services (0800 505 555) and ask if there are any in stock locally. Take care to make sure they are looking for the G300 because one monkey I got gave me the stock details for the Y201 - not the same phone at all!

thanks for thats, i gave them a call and no stores in my area have any left, the guy said if its available online with tesco direct then the stores can get it in for you however its not on the tesco direct website either. Do i have any other options :rotfl:

is being a new 'very' customer essential as i know someone with a very account who could order it for me or would the voucher code not work then?
  • Before I ordered the phone from Very, I went to a Vodafone shop on Sunday. They had some unlocked in stock but I would have had to pay for £10 top up in addition to the full price of £100. So I didn't! So phone arrived yesterday from Very, I've now received the Virgin sim and am just waiting for the unlock code to come through. Then I'll have to think about upgrading to ICS and removing all the bloatware. I very much want to but might be too scared! Still, got to get it unlocked first.
  • Roger1
    Roger1 Posts: 1,603 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I've learned so much from this thread. From this thread alone, I have:
    • bought the phone from Tesco;
    • bought the unlock code from an e-Bay supplier;
    • ordered a charger + 2 spare batteries from Hong Kong.
    Thanks to all the expert responders. :)

I have a question about Navigation. I just navigated (notionally, from my chair) to a family address in Kent and to another address in Switzerland and got turn-by-turn directions with and without voice. Fantastic!

It occurs to me that this feature could be an OK substitute for a SatNav. The problem as I see it would be heavy data use, OK with wifi but expensive if roaming. Has anybody tried and can advise:
    • can a route be stored and accessed afterwards?
    • can a route from a distant point to back home be calculated?
    • can a trip starting and ending abroad be calculated?
    I've tried checking the online manual but can't find an answer. Grateful for any advice on this.
  • sillygoose
    sillygoose Posts: 4,794 Forumite
    Before I ordered the phone from Very, I went to a Vodafone shop on Sunday. They had some unlocked in stock but I would have had to pay for £10 top up in addition to the full price of £100. So I didn't! So phone arrived yesterday from Very, I've now received the Virgin sim and am just waiting for the unlock code to come through. Then I'll have to think about upgrading to ICS and removing all the bloatware. I very much want to but might be too scared! Still, got to get it unlocked first.

The upgrade to ICS method I used required no risky utilities installed, didn't even need the device rooted and the version it put on is just straight forward clean ICS 4.03 with no bloatware or network customisation took 10 minutes - its been working beautifully for me ever since.

(although I did root it in the end because some stuff I was messing with needed access but that didn't work in the end so I needn't have bothered - the phone is 'safer' unrooted if you don't actually need it)
    European for 3 weeks in August, the rest of the year only British and proud.
  • jamesperrett
    jamesperrett Posts: 1,009 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    It's currently £60 in-store at Tesco but good luck finding one in stock. Surely the 3 month Vodafone exclusive period must be up by now? If so, why is this phone not being offered by the other networks?

As I understand it, the G300 is now discontinued and will be replaced by the G330 in November though I thought I saw a Tesco Mobile version of the G300 last week. Looks like the G330 might be a little more expensive but still very impressive. I've no idea whether it will be available on all networks.
  • sdduk
    sdduk Posts: 1,419 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    As I understand it, the G300 is now discontinued and will be replaced by the G330 in November though I thought I saw a Tesco Mobile version of the G300 last week. Looks like the G330 might be a little more expensive but still very impressive. I've no idea whether it will be available on all networks.

Yeah you are right G330 will be alone soon have a look at the link
    sounds better.

http://reviews.cnet.co.uk/mobile-phones/huawei-ascend-g330-review-50009043/
    Nobody is Perfect. I am Nobody, therefore I am Perfect.
    :)
  • i just managed to get one ordered from very and thru quidco. As i could not get accepted for a credit account, i used my mums address (with her permission) and i was accepted, added the voucher code for £30 off, added my address as delivery address and paid using my debit visa card. Jobs a good un :D:D:D
  • deanos
    deanos Posts: 11,219 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Uniform Washer
    sillygoose wrote: »
    The upgrade to ICS method I used required no risky utilities installed, didn't even need the device rooted and the version it put on is just straight forward clean ICS 4.03 with no bloatware or network customisation took 10 minutes - its been working beautifully for me ever since.

(although I did root it in the end because some stuff I was messing with needed access but that didn't work in the end so I needn't have bothered - the phone is 'safer' unrooted if you don't actually need it)

do you have a link please ?

i did the official update but phone is a bit buggy since :(
  • As I understand it, the G300 is now discontinued and will be replaced by the G330 in November though I thought I saw a Tesco Mobile version of the G300 last week. Looks like the G330 might be a little more expensive but still very impressive. I've no idea whether it will be available on all networks.

Yes, read about the G330 a while ago. Tell you what if they could manage to hit the £100 price point with that it would sell like hot cakes but I know the expected price is £160. Personally think that would be too much of a premium on the G300 to make it as attractive a proposition. AFAICT it's the G300 with a front facing camera and a dual core processor? Oh, and ICS out of the box.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure