Letter from CCS debt collection agency

Hello,

Just arrived home from uni to find a letter from CCS saying I owe Scottish Power Energy £172.52 because I "have recently changed supplier." It was addressed to both me and my husband.

I moved into this flat on August 17th last year and told Swalec, the company supplying my old place, that I wanted to continue the supply in my new place. I remember I had a letter addressed to "New Occupier" from Scottish Power when I moved into my new place saying that they were the current supplier and I could continue with them if I wanted to, blah blah. However I had already informed Swalec of my move so I ignored it. I have never received any bills from Scottish Power.

So basically... just wanted to confirm that I owe Scottish Power nothing? I have never signed up for their service and never received a bill. I guess it's an outstanding payment from the old tenants? But how have CCS got my name (and my husband's name, who has never been named on the electricity bill?!)? I don't know what to do next. I don't want to phone CCS because I know these companies can be nasty.

Comments

• Tixy
    Tixy Posts: 31,455 Forumite
    Have you been paying SWALEC?

Did you take a meter reading when you first moved in and provide that to SWALEC?

First I would give SWALEC a call and confirm with them the date the started charging you for elec at your current address.

Then I would reply to CCS with the prove it letter - Letter when you know nothing about about the debt - AKA "Prove it" letter
    A smile enriches those who receive without making poorer those who give
    or "It costs nowt to be nice"
  • SC84
    SC84 Posts: 33 Forumite
    I have paid all my Swalec bills on time.

I'm worried now because I just looked through my emails and found the information from Swalec when I moved house. I gave them the readings that were supplied from my letting agency for the new flat. They said my supply would start on 17th September. I moved in on the 27th August (made a typo in my first message, apologies.) - that means there was time when I was being supplied from elsewhere. Don't understand why I never received a bill. £172 seems steep for only a few weeks electricity. I guess I am screwed :(
  • Tixy
    Tixy Posts: 31,455 Forumite
    I would still send the prove it letter - they should be providing invoices showing the correct billing period and correct meter readings (starting reading as it was when you moved in, ending reading the same as the starting reading on your first Swalec letter).

You may well find you do have a bill to pay - but that doesn't explain the amount they are trying to charge - or why you have never received a bill or red letter.
    A smile enriches those who receive without making poorer those who give
    or "It costs nowt to be nice"
  • Scottish_Power
    Scottish_Power Posts: 1,263 Organisation Representative
    SC84 when you move into a property there is a registered supplier for electricity and gas, regardless of who you want to be your supplier. You have a deemed contract with them from when you move in until you switch.

If we wrote to you saying we were the supplier then we were at the time. It is very likely that you will owe us something, but as you didn't register with us the charges may be inaccurate. However if the person moving out gave readings and you gave readings to the new supplier, the bill could also be right.

Please can you e-mail details to [EMAIL="social@scottishpower.com"]social@scottishpower.com[/EMAIL] and we will look into this for you?

Thanks

David
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Scottish Power. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure