Wonga and ID theft

Options

Comments

• Spudles
    Options
    Surely as it's wonga taking the money, especially if they are taking it from another bank account to the one in which the money was paid into (surely alarm bells should already be ringing as to why someone would get a loan into one account and then pay it off from another) it's their responsibility to ensure that they are taking the money from the correct account?

As they have admitted that the details they had were not the same as those on the account, the postcode was different, if not before then at this point checks should have been carried out, if they did it by bank transfer then they gave the wrong details so Wonga should have at least attempted to confirm the details with your bank, if they have cloned your card then unless they had the actual card then they wouldn't have been in possession of the CVC code. Which ever way it's been done it seems to me as if Wonga havent done their job properly and i'd be seeking compensation from them personally. (you could even charge them %4000 APR on the money they have taken from you without prior authorisation)

It seems as if businesses just like to make it as easy as possible to to comit fraud against them, my old man had 2 t-mobile contracts taken out in his name the phones never arrived, despite having the correct adress, (so someone in the postal/courier service was the likely culprit), but bar adress and surname everything else was wrong, even the spelling of his first name was incorrect, yet t-mobile were happy to allow that contract and sent out 2 brand new expensive phones.

Seems to me that these companies are happy to not do their jobs properly and leave others out of pocket. :mad:
  • Paolo98
    Options
    Same thing happened to me. First indication of a problem was letter from Wonga saying thanks for becoming a customer on 1st Feb. Took me an age to get in contact with them, hopeless customer service, just cut me off everytime I called. Resorted to email support@wonga.com and got a reply three days later saying Yes definitely fraud we have sorted everything. Last night I check my account and find that they have taken £1400 from my account in 3 amounts around £500 or less using my Debit card. Emailed again and they are sending the money back via FPS today. Still waiting for Halifax to stop my card.

Perhaps Wonga are being targeted, think they could do with improving their security checks.
  • Apples2
    Apples2 Posts: 6,442 Forumite
    Options
    Spudles wrote: »
    Which ever way it's been done it seems to me as if Wonga havent done their job properly and i'd be seeking compensation from them personally. (you could even charge them %4000 APR on the money they have taken from you without prior authorisation)
    the ability to repay a debt using anothers card is open to debate.
    The current position is that they can and do accept payments from another bank account.

We see dozens of posts on here, typical scenario;
    Borrower takes a loan he cannot repay.
    Borrower convinces friends/family to pay his repayment using their bank details.

Borrower take out another loan he cannot repay, he hides.
    Lender takes the payment from "ANY" card they have on file, this includes the one he used last time

Friend/Family on here complaining money was taken without consent. It is all in the T&C's that they can and will do this.

The bank haven't done anything wrong, they received a simple demand for payment using the correct bank details. Despite this, they do offer a degree of fraud protection.

Who knows how Wonga arranged this, they are the only ones who can tie things together.

Consider it is against the banks T&C's that a customer allows anyone else to use their card details, customer is ultimately responsible for the cards security so it begs the question, "How did Wonga end up with these details"?

Lots of possibilities but difficult to prove either way.
  • meer53
    meer53 Posts: 10,217 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Paolo98 wrote: »
    Same thing happened to me. First indication of a problem was letter from Wonga saying thanks for becoming a customer on 1st Feb. Took me an age to get in contact with them, hopeless customer service, just cut me off everytime I called. Resorted to email support@wonga.com and got a reply three days later saying Yes definitely fraud we have sorted everything. Last night I check my account and find that they have taken £1400 from my account in 3 amounts around £500 or less using my Debit card. Emailed again and they are sending the money back via FPS today. Still waiting for Halifax to stop my card.

Perhaps Wonga are being targeted, think they could do with improving their security checks.

Halifax won't stop your card unless you tell them there has been fraud on your account. Have you contacted them ? Wonga won't do it for you.
  • NicciJB
    NicciJB Posts: 19 Forumite
    Options
    :( I'm an experiencing something similar by the sounds of it. Barclays Bank fraud department called me yesterday (21st February 2012) due to "unusual activity" on my account. They went through a series of card transactions which were not made/authorised by me. Unfortunately, they authorised one of them to wonga.com for £600. Other payments attempted were to Phones 4 U, Dialaphone (?), Epoch, Tesco, CEWE, O2, Apple Computers and another wonga payment :eek: I confirmed that the payments were not mine. My card was stopped and I was asked to go through my bank statement and call debit card services to report any fraudulent transactions.

I called debit card services yesterday and they said they would be contacting wonga and sending me some sort of form in the post to complete and sign? They also told me to contact wonga to say my card had been used to make payment to them without my authorisation.

I telephoned wonga yesterday and spoke to Lee Adams. She took my details and asked me report the crime to the police and to get a crime reference number. She said my case would be passed on to the fraud team and someone would contact me in due course.

I have logged the crime with the police today and received a crime reference number which I have passed on to wonga.

Clearly, this situation leaves me £600 out of pocket and I am already up to the maximum on my overdraft. I went into my bank today to try and ascertain how they could assist me in the interim - including asking for an extension of my overdraft (having explained that I cannot afford to be £600 out of pocket and I am worried about payments now being declined due to a lack of funds and getting bank charges etc). They said that the bank (Barclays) should be able to refund the £600 back to me and then follow it up with wonga. The bank clerk called debit card services to get this in motion but was told that because wonga is a "financial service" the rules were different and I could not get my money back instantly and it would have to be investigated and it could be up to 45 days until I get any money back :cry:

In terms of the overdraft, the bank clerk said there were no "available limits" on my account so I could not be offered a temporary extension of my overdraft and if I did it would be declined and affect my credit rating/score :mad:

Barclays then tried another call to wonga (made from the bank, in my presence - at lunch time today) to try and find out who had been using my debit card as surely my card is linked up to another person that has provided some sort of ID to set up a wonga account in the first place? Wonga says that my card number is not linked to any wonga account. How can that be if they have taken money from my account to pay into a wonga account? I am furious! Surely there must be a link between a payment made and a payment received? They checked my address and there was no record of me at wonga. There was not a search facility for name or for amount and date of transaction :wall:

Wonga are also a nightmare to get through to on the phone - a call centre in Cape Town. We must have tried about five times, pressed option 2, then after holding for a few minutes to be told "thank you for your call - please answer three questions on the service we have provided" when they hadn't even answered the call in the first place! :mad::mad::mad: When we finally got through, we were not able to get any useful information or speak to anyone in the fraud team. I could not get an alternative telephone number for the fraud department or a useful email address. I went through the same information as I did the previous day and was told the same thing: that my details would be passed to the fraud team and they would be in touch.

How this person managed to get my card details in the first place is baffling. I pay for Kaspersky internet security which I was told was a good piece of software - it is up to date. I generally buy most of my goods from reputable sites although I had tried two new websites this month: scribbler (cards) and cardtown (cards). I must admit the cardtown website was a complete shambles in terms of trying to process an order and I wonder if that site was security compromised? I thought it would be a secure site having been recommended for deals on a moneysavingexpert email! :money::huh:

Anyway, I am interested in others experience and what resolve you get. I will keep you posted on my situation.

From one very unhappy bunny :(:(
  • magpiecottage
    Options
    NicciJB wrote: »
    My card was stopped and I was asked to go through my bank statement and call debit card services to report any fraudulent transactions.

That is fair enough.
    I called debit card services yesterday and they said they would be contacting wonga and sending me some sort of form in the post to complete and sign?
    Depending on what it is, that is too.
    They also told me to contact wonga to say my card had been used to make payment to them without my authorisation.

I think they can ask but the FSA rule I quoted does not mean they can do it.
    I telephoned wonga yesterday and spoke to Lee Adams. She took my details and asked me report the crime to the police and to get a crime reference number. She said my case would be passed on to the fraud team and someone would contact me in due course.

I have logged the crime with the police today and received a crime reference number which I have passed on to wonga.

Clearly, this situation leaves me £600 out of pocket and I am already up to the maximum on my overdraft. I went into my bank today to try and ascertain how they could assist me in the interim - including asking for an extension of my overdraft (having explained that I cannot afford to be £600 out of pocket and I am worried about payments now being declined due to a lack of funds and getting bank charges etc). They said that the bank (Barclays) should be able to refund the £600 back to me and then follow it up with wonga. The bank clerk called debit card services to get this in motion but was told that because wonga is a "financial service" the rules were different and I could not get my money back instantly and it would have to be investigated and it could be up to 45 days until I get any money back

This is not good.

In terms of the overdraft, the bank clerk said there were no "available limits" on my account so I could not be offered a temporary extension of my overdraft and if I did it would be declined and affect my credit rating/score

Barclays then tried another call to wonga (made from the bank, in my presence - at lunch time today) to try and find out who had been using my debit card as surely my card is linked up to another person that has provided some sort of ID to set up a wonga account in the first place? Wonga says that my card number is not linked to any wonga account. How can that be if they have taken money from my account to pay into a wonga account? I am furious! Surely there must be a link between a payment made and a payment received? They checked my address and there was no record of me at wonga. There was not a search facility for name or for amount and date of transaction

I do not think that is acceptable.

I suggest the following e-mail is sent to Customer.relations@barclays.com

Formal Complaint - Account number XXXXXX

On [date] an unauthorised debit of £600 was made to my account by Wonga.com

Whilst I appreciate that this is not the bank's fault, FSA rule BCOBS 5.1.12 says:

" (1) Where a banking customer denies having authorised a payment, it is for the firm to prove that the payment was authorised.

(2) Where a payment from a banking customer's account was not authorised by the banking customer, a firm must, within a reasonable period, refund the amount of the unauthorised payment to the banking customer and, where applicable, restore the banking customer's account to the state it would have been in had the unauthorised payment not taken place."

Your employee has told me that it will take up to 45 days to do this. I do not consider this to constitute a "reasonable period", particularly as you are unwilling to extend my overdraft during this time. I therefore wish you to reconsider this decision immediately.

Barclays will then have two choices - either it complies within one working day of receipt (i.e. get it to them by 5 p.m. today and it must be resolved by close of business tomorrow) or it has to go through their complaints procedure, be reported to the FSA. So I think they are likely to be more amenable.

Both you and Kimou can also complain to following to Customercare@wonga.com

Formal Complaint

I wish to complain that you have taken the sum of £X from my bank account without my authorisation. Presumably this is in relation to a loan which you claim to have made to me. I categorically deny ever entering into any loan agreement with you.

Nevertheless, I consider the matter to be governed by the Consumer Credit Act 2006. Accordingly, you are required to acknowledge my complaint, in writing to [address] promptly.

You have a maximum of 8 weeks from the date of this e-mail to issue a written response to me explaining what, if anything you intend to do about it.

You must explain in that response my right to refer the matter to the Financial Ombudsman Service.

You must provide me with a copy of the booklet "Your Complaint and the Ombudsman Service", published by the Financial Ombudsman Service.

You may not charge me for this.

I am not only aggrieved that you have taken my money without authorisation but that you have also insisted that I contact the Police over the matter. I appreciate that you may have made a loan in response to an application that was fraudulent but it is you, not me that is the victim and it therefore follows that it is you, not me that should report the crime.

I am seeking full reimbursement of the unauthorised payment plus interest and banking charges which I have incurred as a result.

I am also seeking redress for the distress and inconvience you have caused me.

I look forward to hearing from you.

[name]

The purpose of this is to put pressure on Wonga to resolve your problem quickly. Unfortunately, 56 days is more than 45 but it does put them on notice that if they simply ignore you whilst they sort out their own problems it is probably going to cost them more in the long run.
  • vax2002
    vax2002 Posts: 7,187 Forumite
    Options
    You give them 7 days to rectify the situation then issue a notice before action with joint defendants as Wonga and your bank.
    If thery Ignore that, it is a money online claim.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • blacksta
    blacksta Posts: 919 Forumite
    Options
    Execellent info from Maggoe
    I owe £3233 @ 0%
  • magpiecottage
    Options
    vax2002 wrote: »
    You give them 7 days to rectify the situation then issue a notice before action with joint defendants as Wonga and your bank.
    If thery Ignore that, it is a money online claim.

In theory perhaps but they can then rely on the law rather than the FSA's rules which puts them in a stronger position when they argue that they need to investigate first.
  • psybear
    psybear Posts: 241 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Another victim here, as of yesterday. I logged onto my smile account last night and noticed my balance wasn't what it should have been. The culprit was a debit card transaction yesterday for £405 to wonga.com.

I have never had any dealings with this or any similar company.

Called the bank and they have stopped my card and passed it to their fraud department. Indications were that I should be re-imbursed quite quickly - but I will wait and see.

I'm VERY careful with my card, I haven't been a PHISHING victim, I always carefully look over ATMs before use - but somehow they still managed to clone my card. The Smile rep thought online shopping was the mostly likely source of the information for the scammers.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure