DMP Mutual Support Thread - Part 12

Comments

• StopIt
    StopIt Posts: 1,470 Forumite
    Keezing wrote: »
    I've been paying Creation £1 per month since December, praying that they will default and send my account to a DCA, but this is what they have been reporting to the CRAs:

creation.jpg

Do we think they are incompetent or is it possible they could purposely be providing incorrect data to delay the default and extend my record of poor credit management? I suspect they are just incompetent to be honest.

Never assume malice when incompetence is an option.

After all, 1 month behind markers aside, marking your account as green/up to date isn't recording bad credit management! If it was going 1/2/3/4 etc, then it'll be bad and they should just default but it just looks like faulty reporting.

You could always write to them to force the issue!

In debt and looking for help? Look here for the MSE Debt Help Guide.
    Also, If you need any free and impartial debt advice, the National Debtline, Stepchange, and the CAB can help.
  • StopIt wrote: »
    Never assume malice when incompetence is an option.

Love it!:rotfl::T
  • StopIt
    StopIt Posts: 1,470 Forumite
    Look, Rebecca, please don't keep apologising to us about how scared you feel. I know I certainly felt terrified at the start, I still sometimes have a panicky wobble from time to time, and being anxious about this sort of thing is in my DNA:eek:. Other posters don't intend to treat you harshly I'm sure, there is so much support and good-will on this thread:A which has seen a lot of people, me included, through some very black times. If anyone posts anything that seems less than sympathetic it is only because they can see that you need to try to make a real effort to snap out of constantly beating yourself up about your financial problems. There's a new 'mind set' that you must try to get into, for your own good. None of us have been good managers of money, that's mainly why we're all here talking on this thread in the first place. The only people who know about my debts are the people on MSE, I have managed to keep it all totally hidden to everyone in real life and I know in the early days it must have taken a massive toll on my mental well-being.

Sending virtual hugs your way:kisses3:. Looks like you need them at the moment. Take care.

This is a fantastic post.

I know it's hard for people like Rebecca to realise that after potentially years of beating themselves up, that people genuinely offering non judgmental advice aren't being mad, or harsh and truly can see the way out for them and only wish to help them find their way.

As Carbootcrazy (I always read your handle as Cabotcrazy, which would be fitting because of the DCA of that name!) said, we don't need you to apologise for anything, you've done nothing wrong.

When people try to push you out of your mindset it is because we know that mentally, this is a key reason why people get into debt. They see their behaviour as shameful, and something to hide so in the absence of support, try to sort it themselves. However this can spiral into a cycle of feeling that the further you go, the less people will understand so making you less likely to seek help the more trouble you find yourself in.

It's a vicious cycle and must be broken one way or the other. You've made a start Rebecca and I'm sure you'll realise the more you gain the confidence to say to yourself that you deserve the support of your loved ones and that hiding away only hurts you, the sooner you can get on the path not just to debt freedom, but to a happier place mentally too. You should never feel alone in life, and self isolation is self harm and should be treated as such.

I know it's hard, but seek all the support you can, as soon as you can. You'll likely find open arms, rather than the rejection you fear.

In debt and looking for help? Look here for the MSE Debt Help Guide.
    Also, If you need any free and impartial debt advice, the National Debtline, Stepchange, and the CAB can help.
  • spiffyiffy
    spiffyiffy Posts: 92 Forumite
    As everyone is posting an update I may as well too :)

Just recently left SC and went self managed. On Monday is when my payments when out to my creditors so I'm 100% self managed.

Yesterday I sent most of my creditors 'complaint' letters to either default me or to to default me when everyone else defaulted me around the time after I setup with SC.

In a month or 2 I shall put out a few CCA's to half of my creditors so hopefully things are moving nicely.

For those thinking of going to self managed; Do it, so much easier.

For those wanting to go on to a DMP; do it, it will be well worth it and unlike me do the token payments for 6 months instead of 2 months like I did. Last of all read this whole thread and the threads before it, so much valuable information.
  • Twins
    Twins Posts: 346 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Julie67 wrote: »
    Hi Suzeka, carbootcrazy thanks for the replies
    I have had 2 come back unenforceable as they can't currently supply what i requested, another three have acknowledged and cashed the cheques and put the accounts on hold but I have had nothing since and then just one , Nationwide who stupidly knocked the cheque off the outstanding debt and ignored the request! I'm currently repeating the request to them.
    Off the 2 who have said unenforceable I have heard nothing since, the 3 who are working on it , I have heard nothing since the acknowledgement.
    I know some advice says to follow up with a reminder but I tend to agree that no news is good news

Hi Julie! Popped by to see how you were doing and sounds like things are doing ok. I agree with carboot and Suzeka and just leave alone those creditors who have said they will look into the request, they'll come knocking if they've got some paperwork.

I've finally heard from all my creditors and the ones who couldn't produce any paperwork were PRA Group (2 accounts) and Robinson Way. So I'm not paying them anything and with the others I'm paying £1 until September and then I'll increase payments with them aiming to hopefully snowball the debt and get it paid off in around 14 months, fingers crossed.

Hope all else is well x
  • Julie67
    Julie67 Posts: 2,362 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Twins wrote: »
    Hi Julie! Popped by to see how you were doing and sounds like things are doing ok. I agree with carboot and Suzeka and just leave alone those creditors who have said they will look into the request, they'll come knocking if they've got some paperwork.

I've finally heard from all my creditors and the ones who couldn't produce any paperwork were PRA Group (2 accounts) and Robinson Way. So I'm not paying them anything and with the others I'm paying £1 until September and then I'll increase payments with them aiming to hopefully snowball the debt and get it paid off in around 14 months, fingers crossed.

Hope all else is well x

Welcome back Twins That's great news. Sounds like the end is in sight for you. I'm hoping to do exactly the same thing :)
    Started Self Managed DMP 10th May 2017.
    Working hard to get rid of our debt.
  • purplepaws
    purplepaws Posts: 76 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    If I could, I would take you all out for a lovely cup of tea and some cake!

REBECCA - you are not alone, even though it does feel like it. Your words could be my words.

I have just begun my DMP journey (as of yesterday!) and already I feel a bit lighter and more able to think about the future, knowing that I don't have the worry of where to find the money to make payments each month. It is not an easy decision to make, it is really difficult to accept that you have spiralling debt buy you have gone to seek help and there is light at the end of the tunnel.

Thank you for sharing and hang-in there.

Thank you to everyone for caring enough to offer words of support and encouragement. I hope to be as wise as you all, to help DMP newbies, like me, of the future.
    DMP launched 04/07/17 left to pay = £14,238.79 (£16,982.82 original debt.) Thanks to MSE & all you wonderful Forum Peeps!:T
  • indigowarrior
    indigowarrior Posts: 745 Forumite
    edited 5 July 2017 at 8:46PM
    Hello all,
    I took the plunge yesterday and did a calculation with stepchange and have set up a debt management plan with my creditors. I have worked out it will take me almost 2years to be debt free. Which is massive extention to what I originally planned. I spent an hour with lowell yesterday setting up a minimum payment on each and I have budgetted. Any spare money I have I will add if and when I can.
    No Spend November 2/15 and SPC 134
  • motivated
    motivated Posts: 3,044 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post PPI Party Pooper
    Hi all just managed to catch up the recent posts and just wanted to say Rebecca please try not to beat yourself up about your situation. Only back in January I was in a right state I can tell you. Sourcrates and January2015 will vouch for me too. I thought the bailiffs were coming to kick my front door in and everyone will know about our debt. I was ready to throw the towel in and saw no way out ever from my mountain of debt. However, With many words of honest advice on here which I took on board got my DMP up and running. The relief was indescribable and the fear and panic gradually eased.

After 2 months of payments to SC I found the courage to go self managed and nothing bad has happened to me. I used the NEDCAB letters and wrote to all creditors who have more or less been ok. I still have the odd wobble when I receive a letter from one of them but I am now so much more stronger and have the strength to challenge creditors if they try to add interest etc. Even managing to get some refunded :D. My accounts have not defaulted yet, they haven't been sold on yet BUT I'm still here, still in a mountain of debt and now I am not petrified, not stressing and just carrying on with life. Before our DMP my DH and I were at each other's throats constantly. Playing the blame game and not facing up to what we needed to do to clear this mess up. Now we are happy, relaxed, enjoying life and taking each day as it comes. Yes we're still in debt but we refuse to let the overall total or the creditors bring us down any more. We weren't the first to get in this mess and we certainly won't be the last.

Anyway apologies for the long winded post but I wanted anyone in a similar boat to me see that things will be ok once you decide to go down the DMP route.

We have told no one about our debt, not even close family, I didn't feel the need to tell them
    Good luck to all who are starting out on your journeys and keep posting it really does help
    M
    Emptying my lake with a teaspoon
  • Suseka97
    Suseka97 Posts: 1,562 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Some very wise words and so much support being offered by folks of late to newbies - demonstrates to me the huge importance of forums and threads such as this. Where on earth would we be without it! Great idea to make this one a sticky (thanks to Sourcrates)

I'm at home today - nursing a periodontal absence :sad: ouchie! So am going to spend a bit of time researching unenforceable debts so that I'm more informed when I get responses to the CCA requests I sent off earlier in the week.

Looks like it's going to be a nice sunny day in these parts - so hope everyone is enjoying a little bit of sunshine :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure